Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2008, 08:16 PM   #51
easye123
Registered Member

Upload your video to photobuket. and the copy and past the code into here.

Current Tank Info: 90g BB sps 30g sump. 2x175w mh. 2x110w vho act. Vortech. tunze 6025. ER rs 135. TLF phos. ACjr
easye123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2008, 08:30 PM   #52
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

ok that sounds easy enough, look for it mid week, going to use a little Navy boat to show the water movement lol. hope its like a hurricane.

PaulieWalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2008, 11:17 PM   #53
easye123
Registered Member

HAhA a little navy boat with an army man...lol

Current Tank Info: 90g BB sps 30g sump. 2x175w mh. 2x110w vho act. Vortech. tunze 6025. ER rs 135. TLF phos. ACjr

Last edited by easye123; 08/03/2008 at 11:22 PM.
Unread 08/04/2008, 03:11 PM   #54
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

yeah i forgot about that

Unread 08/04/2008, 07:00 PM   #55
lloydkeller
Registered Member

looks great gave me some ideas

lloydkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2008, 08:24 PM   #56
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

thanks, what ideas did you get from it, glad to here it though!!

Unread 08/04/2008, 09:10 PM   #57
Tangweed
Registered Member

I see on your thread you have an Octopus NW 200. Can you give me any info on it. I have a 58gal with oceanic sump.
Thank you!

Current Tank Info: 90 gal with 40 gal breeder sump / fuge, Octo skimmer, lights and some water.
Tangweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2008, 09:47 PM   #58
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

happy to...what info are you looking for??? price point is between 200 to about 260, paid 257 with tax at my LFS, because shipping was about 20 and i like to support them even though i am strait broke lol. the pump is a octopus 3000, it pushes 790 gph, needle wheel model..the skimmer has a funnel cone design, but an insert which makes it easier to clean, and also makes it easy to adjust the wet to dry skim...it keeps the clean water out almost, leaving just the strait NASTY stuff. the collect cup is by far my favorite part, it just sits on top, not unscrewing anything, just lift it and all it needs is like a 1/4 inch to remove. it hold A LOT of cups. what else can i say, i am VERY happy with it, i have read places that say it is made from cell cast acrylic so its ozone safe, but then some others say it is not. So that i am unclear about. there are tons more i could say about it...think of anything in particular let me know. oh it is easy to put together lol, and did i say i liked it. i will post another picture of it tomorrow running, i can saw though that the pump is pretty sweet, i have a 20 long tank and i put the pump in there with the skimmer and it filled the 20 with bubbles, white as snow in seconds, and i began to see brown stuff and a bug that was in the tank float to the top. it does its job for me. anyways as you can see i love to type a lot so let me know what else.

thanks for your reply

-matt

Unread 08/05/2008, 02:38 PM   #59
Tangweed
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! What size sump do you have? I'm thinking of going a little bigger on my sump and building my own. So my concern is space. I'd also like to add a TLF reactor for carbon.

Thanks! Jeremy

Current Tank Info: 90 gal with 40 gal breeder sump / fuge, Octo skimmer, lights and some water.
Tangweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2008, 04:17 PM   #60
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

my sump is 38x17x17, holds 48 gallons to the top, and about 30 gallons running, maybe a bit more when the skimmer is full and the 2 reactors are also. yeah TLF are the way to go, i had a Kent one and did not like it at all.

Unread 08/05/2008, 04:41 PM   #61
easye123
Registered Member

Two thumbs up for TLF reactors.. Cheap, fill it up plug and play, what else could you ask for?

Unread 08/05/2008, 04:51 PM   #62
cabrego
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulieWalnuts
I hate when i write a long thing and then i erase it some how!!!

ok so i was going over my plumbing and this is what i came up with. does anyone have a better idea of how to do it, and what is the best way to adjust the flow though the exits off the closed loop. also are the PVC sizes ok. I forgot to add in the return on the diagram, but i plan on using 1inch or 1.5 or there is always 1.25 inch i could use right. Anyways i am just looking for some ideas and sizes people think i should use on the different parts of the set up. the only one i know for sure is that the dart should have a 2 inch intake.

thanks for reading all that.

I have a couple of questions about this,

where is your return pump?

Is there a reason you are draining directly in to the fuge?

Looks pretty good!

cabrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2008, 05:02 PM   #63
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

return pump is in the middle, between the fuge and the skimmer area, no reason to drain in to the fuge, just do not know how else to do it, i am open to ideas.

thanks for the reply

Unread 08/09/2008, 09:34 PM   #64
Phillybean
Registered Member

Any updates Paulie?

Unread 08/09/2008, 10:16 PM   #65
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

not quite yet...i am still trying to round up my plumbing parts- been really busy with work and the night i was going to go get the parts i ended up going to a Dave Matthews concert...got free tickets so it was sweet. thanks for asking though philly!

Unread 08/09/2008, 10:23 PM   #66
easye123
Registered Member

Luky!! good karma went your way.lol

Cant wait to see how the tank is goin.

I finally updated mine.lol its been forever.

Unread 09/08/2008, 10:44 PM   #67
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

easye its been i while for me too...so here is an update...sorry it was so long ago since my last one.

i know i promised pictures so here are some new ones....i have been very busy so have not been able to set up the new tank yet, but was able to make time and set up the sump. i still need to get my UV and reactors back on, but the tank seems to like the new sump. It was a pain doing it myself, but my dad helped me with it and had a few beers which helped a lot also and took me about 3 hours to take the 15 gallon and the 5 gallon i had running out and transfer stuff...oh and i got rid of my canister filter also. I am very happy with it, and love not having to top off the return section every hour lol.
More stuff to come soon!!

Pictures!!

Unread 09/14/2008, 08:49 PM   #68
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

little update...i have the reactor and UV back online now and just added another yellow tang...i read a lot about it before i did and they are doing well now...sharing seaweed and food perfectly. left the lights off for about a day and dripped it before dumping him in....looking to have the new tank up soon, i know its been awhile...i am going to be painting the back black and doing a few more little things. thanks for following.

-matt

Unread 09/16/2008, 12:08 AM   #69
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

ok...so i rounded up my plumbing pieces....the 2inch ball valve/ union was harder to find the the others and is HUGE.

thats the 2inch (for the dart), 3---1.25 (for the drain), and 4---1inch (closed loop) oh and i still need a 1.25 or 1.5 not sure which size yet for the return......i was thinking of just using the ball valves for the closed loop control, but for an extra 4 bucks each i got the true union so i went ahead and did that...was that a smart move or a waste? I still need to get some 45s, and 90s, 3---1.25 Ts and a 1.25in 4point piece, and a few feet of pvc, but the expensive pieces are at my house now so i am happy....looking to have the tank up this weekend!!!!

I just still need to paint the back and the left side black and do a water test and then am ready.

thats the other yellow tang...they are doing great now like i think i said above and seem to love swimming together.

Unread 09/16/2008, 09:24 AM   #70
hotwired99
Registered Member

Paulie-
I have 2 Darts on my new tank. Pretty sure the returns are 1.5".
I thought about getting the union/ball valves like you did. But arent they all slip/glue in fittings? I thinkk thats why I opted out of them. Once there glued in you cant really reuse them somewhere later if you change your plumbing. I went with all threaded ball valves and threaded seperate unions. That way I can change things as much as I want and not have to buy new valves or unions.
Heres some of the plumbing I got for the new tank. That was before I added the 2nd Dart and the CL bulkheads.
Photobucket

You say your wallets fat??
Get into the saltwater hobby. That'll cure it real quick

(175g Bowfront coming soon. Click on the red house to see the build thread.)

Current Tank Info: 175g Reef, 60g sump, 40g frag, 40g fuge.
hotwired99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 05:24 PM   #71
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

i hate plumbing lol i just spent like 200 bucks

Unread 09/16/2008, 06:05 PM   #72
Ratpack
Registered Member

How is the tank doing with all those holes? Was it an All Glass brand? The reason I ask, is I wa planning to do mine similar to that but was afraid all those holes would weaken it too much.

Ratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2008, 08:05 PM   #73
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

i was a bit too, but my LFS told me it was ok...and he drills lots of tanks...i think the main thing is not to drill too close to the edges...and and size and spacing of them is what i think keeps it strong. i will let you know how it does though. i am about to post more pictures! this is one of those LFS i trust completely...i think i told you about it..if your ever in VA stop by reefchief.us i don't work there just get everything from there.

Unread 09/16/2008, 08:21 PM   #74
PaulieWalnuts
Registered Member

messing around with the plumbing...trying to find out what works and what does not...going to be putting caps on the stand pipes and some airline to lower the noise level

Unread 09/16/2008, 09:04 PM   #75
hotwired99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulieWalnuts
i hate plumbing lol i just spent like 200 bucks
Thats why I just buy it in little bunches at a time. $20 here and there aint so bad. I dont even want to think about what the entire plumb job cost.

You say your wallets fat??
Get into the saltwater hobby. That'll cure it real quick

(175g Bowfront coming soon. Click on the red house to see the build thread.)

Current Tank Info: 175g Reef, 60g sump, 40g frag, 40g fuge.
hotwired99 is offline   Reply With Quote