Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Flat Worms and Aptasia

Very interesting IMO. I started my 40B/20L sump about 3 months ago using, used rock but has been dry for almost 2 years. I cured it for about 8 weeks and all ammonia and phosphate levels looked good. My tank is currently in the ugly phase. Today I just noticed I have flat worms on my display tank glass. As well as some Aptasia on the cured rock.

Where and how did I get Aptasia and Flat Worms? The only thing introduced were some new fish (from the store) and some coral from my 1st tank (which does not have flat worms and is Aptasia free). Can these things live through a dormant and dry period?

These are the flatworms Im seeing on my glass. Im assuming they are bad and I should get rid of them correct?
flatworms.jpg

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

To me, both are just pests and should be completely eradicated...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 05:50 PM   #3
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
To me, both are just pests and should be completely eradicated...
I totally agree with the aptasia. This is my first time with flat worms..

The only other thing I forgot to mention was I introduced some inverts also. They could of been hitching rides on their shells I guess. Still stumped how and where they would come from.

Should I use flat worm exit?

Unread 07/15/2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Yup, but follow instructs to the tee......Just pests to me....both you don't need at all...
Flatworms can multiply fast, not sure how this occurred based on your post, but best time to go clean is now, then, make sure you dip, inspect, brush, dip, inspect brush, rinse fir corals, and standard rules for fish QT....the only other thing I put in my DT is shrimps and snails, shrimps go straight in and snails get brushed and inspected only provided I know and trust the source, other they get QT too.

Even the most cautious get burned occassionally, better now than after its packed.

Last edited by Uncle99; 07/15/2018 at 06:28 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Yup, but follow instructs to the tee......Just pests to me....both you don't need at all...
Flatworms can multiply fast, not sure how this occurred based on your post, but best time to go clean is now, then, make sure you dip, inspect, brush, dip, inspect brush, rinse fir corals, and standard rules for fish QT....the only other thing I put in my DT is shrimps and snails, shrimps go straight in and snails get brushed and inspected only provided I know and trust the source, other they get QT too.

Even the most cautious get burned occassionally, better now than after its packed.
Great! Thank you so much for the response!