Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2017, 05:49 PM   #26
FishNDip
Registered Member

Ok sweet, Thanks guys for helping me out. I'll bring the corals in carry on with a clear transparent container and the copy of TSA rules with me. Someone said your not allowed to bring plastic bags for carry on, what if I put the coral in a plastic bag then put that in a clear container?

FishNDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:55 PM   #27
sde1500
Registered Member

Get some urine sample containers. My LFS uses them and I've gotten some from swaps. Put the corals in those.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 05:56 PM   #28
FishNDip
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'll do what you all suggested. Someone said you can't bring plastic bags with coral on the plane. Can I put coral in a plastic bag and then in a transparent container? Just for extra security there's no spill.

Unread 12/07/2017, 06:13 PM   #29
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNDip View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I'll do what you all suggested. Someone said you can't bring plastic bags with coral on the plane. Can I put coral in a plastic bag and then in a transparent container? Just for extra security there's no spill.
I may have missed it, but Building An Obsession sells TSA approved size frag transport containers that you can carry on the plane. I have read it really is up to the discretion of the TSA agents, but its within the rules anyway.

I have flown from Orlando to LAX, through TSA, with two pairs of clowns... took them right through. Carrying them through the terminal got me all sorts of looks.

I also have had corals in my check in luggage, in an insulated cooler, no heat packs, and they survived the trip. I've done it a couple of times. I use the specimen "urine haha" containers, take some packing tape and wrap the crud out of them so they don't leak.

Unread 12/07/2017, 06:19 PM   #30
FishNDip
Registered Member

Well I was thinking I'd just put the frag container in a bag and carry it on. What's the size limit for the frag container?

Unread 12/07/2017, 09:14 PM   #31
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNDip View Post
Well I was thinking I'd just put the frag container in a bag and carry it on. What's the size limit for the frag container?
The BAO container i linked to earlier is TSA approved.
It's about the size of a container of chinese soup take-out.
And it has locking frag plug holders inside so they won't move. Will be better than plastic bags.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 08:40 AM   #32
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
I may have missed it, but Building An Obsession sells TSA approved size frag transport containers that you can carry on the plane. I have read it really is up to the discretion of the TSA agents, but its within the rules anyway.
It really is up to them.
While I was working in Oregon, I took a few cans of ranch style beans in my back pack on the plane as I could not find any at the stores near the hotel I was living in. The TSA agent asked me what they were. I explained to him that they were beans. He had never heard of them and had to go ask his supervisor if I could take them in my back pack. they finally reluctantly agreed.

I was using the back pack for small items as I would leave my clothes/suitcase in Oregon between trips. 4 weeks up there and 2 weeks at home for almost a year. Was easier to carry the back pack with a few needed items than carry a heavy suitcase back and forth.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote