Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2019, 05:53 PM   #501
vlangel
Registered Member

My reef club held its 1st frag swap this past weekend. Since I had already bought a lot at LEAR, I did not buy anything but another club member had seen that I was asking to buy hypnea pannosa on the club forum, so he brought some to the swap and gave it to me, along with a sprig of dragon's breath. I am very excited about both of those macro algaes.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2019, 09:08 PM   #502
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ooh, those are nice. Good luck with them!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 05:14 AM   #503
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Ooh, those are nice. Good luck with them!
I really hope it takes in the high nutrient tank. It seems to be taking put in the spot I chose for it so that's a good start.

Unread 04/09/2019, 06:33 AM   #504
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, they seem to do better when placed and left alone. I had to break my habit of moving plants around until I was happy with their placement. I think it takes them awhile to adjust to new lighting, etc.

I have a few frags of old hypnea that are slowly coming back. The red I have planted behind the barnacles might be dragon's breath. So we may have a couple of plants in common!

Unread 04/10/2019, 06:36 AM   #505
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, they seem to do better when placed and left alone. I had to break my habit of moving plants around until I was happy with their placement. I think it takes them awhile to adjust to new lighting, etc.

I have a few frags of old hypnea that are slowly coming back. The red I have planted behind the barnacles might be dragon's breath. So we may have a couple of plants in common!
I too have trouble placing macros and corals and then leave them be. Its so easy to want to tweak the placement to make it a little bit better, ha ha!

Yes, we actually have quite a few of the same macros as I have codium and red grape too. They are both very nice macro algaes. I wished I could get ulva to not get blown away and to grow in my tank, but every time I try it, it is swept away and disappears. I would like to get some blue scroll again some time as well.

Unread 04/17/2019, 05:35 AM   #506
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Hi Dawn, how are things going with your tanks? Haven't heard from you in a while...

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2019, 05:26 AM   #507
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Hi Dawn, how are things going with your tanks? Haven't heard from you in a while...
Hi Kevin and thanks for asking. The tanks are doing well. Its just with spring coming to PA I have been busy with outside work around our house and at my church. Also my son and his family are here this week. The dragons breath and hypnea I got at our local frag swap seem to be flourishing so I am really happy about that.

My son is in the middle of redoing his tank and he has lots of coral frags that he wants to give me. He is into sps so he has a lot of coral that I don't have. I will have to be careful because I do not want to get into dosing kalkwasser or anything like that. I don't mind adding some 2 part occasionally but not everyday.

Unread 04/18/2019, 07:41 AM   #508
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm glad to hear your new plants are doing well. Good luck with your new SPS frags!

Unread 04/19/2019, 01:56 PM   #509
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm glad to hear your new plants are doing well. Good luck with your new SPS frags!
I did not bring the SPS this trip but I am going down to their place the middle of May and will get them then.

Unread 04/23/2019, 07:40 AM   #510
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Ah yes, spring is here, and it's so good to be outside in this nice weather. Same with me, a lot going on in the outside world, leaving me less time to work on my projects inside. Glad the tanks are doing well!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 04/23/2019, 08:22 AM   #511
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

You really feel the seasonality of this hobby when winter gives way to spring. Here come the honey-dos!

Unread 04/24/2019, 09:07 AM   #512
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
You really feel the seasonality of this hobby when winter gives way to spring. Here come the honey-dos!
Yes, that is so true. Late autumn and winter are when I make the biggest changes in my tank. Spring and summer I just do routine maintenance.

My honey can't do for a few weeks. He's a cancer survivor and an amputee as a result. A few months ago he found a lump on his residual limb on the inside of his knee. He had surgery this past Monday to remove it and we are thanking the Lord that it is almost assuredly benign. It is being sent to a lab just to double check but the surgeon is quite confident that its not cancer. Anyway, Dave is on crutches since he has 17 stitches and can not wear his leg for 2 weeks while the incision heals. What some guys will do to get out of the 'honey do ' list!

Unread 04/24/2019, 09:10 AM   #513
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah yes, spring is here, and it's so good to be outside in this nice weather. Same with me, a lot going on in the outside world, leaving me less time to work on my projects inside. Glad the tanks are doing well!
How is your big tank coming along? And how are the blennies and their tank mates?

Unread 04/29/2019, 06:57 AM   #514
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank goodness that the lump was benign! I hope that the biopsy confirms that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
How is your big tank coming along? And how are the blennies and their tank mates?
Well, spring has definitely slowed down my progress on my builds. I've spent all my time fishing! That said, one of the holdups for the complete build has been my electrical infrastructure, but my sister-in-law started dating an electrician, and he does side work

Until then, I plan to set the larger tank up without a sump, which should work just fine, just not the complete build. I'm working on my root project for my other tank that I need to finish, and i'm using my stand as a workbench for that. Once the DIY roots are done on that tank, then I can set up my big tank. My goal is to have the tank up, cycled, and running by early to mid summer...if I can find some time between fishing outings LOL

Also, I decided to set the new tank up on the unfinished stand, and finish the stand after that. The stand completion involves mostly cosmetic stuff. The stand is fully functional now to at least hold my tank safely.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 04/30/2019, 09:14 AM   #515
vlangel
Registered Member

2019-04-30_06-30-03 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
FTS April 2019
I am really pleased how this tank is developing. It is the most enjoyable tank I have ever had!

Unread 04/30/2019, 10:59 AM   #516
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's great Dawn! It's easy to forget to notice, when things are going well. Nice FTS too.

Unread 05/08/2019, 04:53 AM   #517
vlangel
Registered Member

I took a video of the tank since I added a large rock feature to the foreground. Now my tank had 3 very distinct levels which I think makes it more natural in appearance. Let me know what you think. I got a kick out of Marmalade little antennae blowing in the flow too.
https://youtu.be/GH4VhguMFOo

Unread 05/08/2019, 06:52 AM   #518
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love the new scaping, well done! Your tank looks great overall too. All of the fish look happy

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/08/2019, 10:04 AM   #519
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm with Kevin - your scape is awesome! The multi level substrate does look very natural. Is that a compact caulerpa prolifera? Looks cool! Great spot for the green goby. You've got the best example of reef/plant tank I've seen. That's a challenging combo that few have mastered.

Unread 05/09/2019, 04:15 AM   #520
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I love the new scaping, well done! Your tank looks great overall too. All of the fish look happy
Thanks Kevin, that is very kind of you. The tank is doing very well overall. The coral does not seem to be growing much but they all look happy. I know frags need time to settle in and feel established before they grow. The fish all seem healthy now with no scratching so of course I am happy about that.

Last edited by vlangel; 05/09/2019 at 05:00 AM.
Unread 05/09/2019, 04:39 AM   #521
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm with Kevin - your scape is awesome! The multi level substrate does look very natural. Is that a compact caulerpa prolifera? Looks cool! Great spot for the green goby. You've got the best example of reef/plant tank I've seen. That's a challenging combo that few have mastered.
Thank you Michael, I am flattered. Since I love macro algae, I have always had some in my reefs. This is definitely the most successful tank that I have had though at getting both coral and macros to flourish. Choosing coral that like nutrient rich water has been a key. I would like to add a clam because they seem to like those conditions.

That is caulerpa prolifera. The rock it is growing on was in the fuge portion of my seahorse tank sump. Actually I think the rock is a petrified clam shell or that is what it looks like to me. Hopefully I can keep that caulerpa confined to that portion of the tank, ha ha! The gobies do love swimming in it and also among the xenia stalks.

I like this scape better than any I have ever done. 56 column tanks are quite tall for their footprint so using that vertical space can be challenging. However tiering the levels really helped and I got the DSHs that I wanted. I believe all the rock and sand provide so much biological stability to this tank since all it has for filtration is the HOB aquaclear with filter floss. No fuge, no skimmer or reactors. In a way the simplicity is beautiful. But then we all know that nature does it best, don't we?

Last edited by vlangel; 05/09/2019 at 04:51 AM.
Unread 05/09/2019, 06:24 AM   #522
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I agree, your coral choices are key for working in a higher nutrient environment. I love that you have simplified your equipment and found so much success!

I think your prolifera will cooperate. I've never seen a tank overrun with it. And you've managed to keep racemosa under control and that overran my previous tank.

Tall tanks are a challenge. You've done well to build verticality into your scape. Chapeau!

Unread 05/11/2019, 11:50 AM   #523
vlangel
Registered Member

I am using a similar philosophy in an 'old school' 2.5 gallon contest pico. The rules are simple in this contest: it must be roughly a 2.5 gallon in dimensions close to 12 x 6 x 8. It must have a hob filter, no sumps or outside filters like canisters and no partitions to make aio. It may have a powerhead or an air pump. The contest opened Mar 31st and closes Sept.

I decided this contest tank was the perfect time to try my hand at dwarf seahorses if I could order a PJ Reef's auto magnetic bbs feeder. They were not available when I had Jr, or I would have kept her. Anyhow they are available now and I have one. Hatching bbs daily is an enslaving task so this feeder is a game changer (I hope). My tank is predominantly macro algaes because of their attractiveness and their nutrient uptake. Also dwarf seahorses love them for hitching. Kevin saw this tank in my youtube acct so I thought I would include it in this thread since its heavily macro algaes.
https://youtu.be/ybbRU9qBJX8

Unread 05/11/2019, 12:06 PM   #524
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Looks great! And the winner is…

Unread 05/18/2019, 07:30 PM   #525
vlangel
Registered Member

I just came home from a trip to my son's and he sent me with some coral frags. It was a sweet deal for me, I watch (and enjoy) my grandchildren for 4 days and get a purple cap and an orange monticap, a pink birdsnest, a green pocillipora, a war coral and a beautiful reddish purple favite with sky blue dots. I will do that anytime even though I did have to drive 8 hrs both ways, LOL.

Anyway it is going to be fun placing these frags. I need to be thoughtful about it however because my tank is beginning to fill up. There are still great spots to place coral but I want to put them where they will thrive. My son is an sps guy so I need to make sure they are getting enough flow. I will take a pic after I get them settled.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.