Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2014, 07:47 AM   #1
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

Phone cable to extend Temp Probe and tampa help

2 things:

I need to extend the distance on my temp probe. So I bought a small phone line connector jack, but all the phone lines I have are too big...the small tip that plugs into a wall or in this case the apex module. I can not find ANYWHERE the smaller connection phone line. I read that the smaller tips can be 2 connector instead of 4 and ordered that...but it is still too big. Any ideas where I can find the line that has a smaller tip/plug in that matches the one on the Temp probe?

Also if anyone in the Tampa area is really good with APEX...could you please contact me???

thanks

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 01:00 PM   #2
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

OK figured out part one.

For future reference:

The temp probe is connected to the port with a telephone cord connection. However, the standard cord today is a too big as it is an RJ13 connection. The cord that you would need (along with a coupler to extend it) is the hand set cord which uses RJ11.

Still looking for someone who rocks with apex in the Tampa area...

Unread 10/20/2014, 11:58 PM   #3
morty
Premium Member

Check out my reply on this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2323361

Last edited by morty; 10/21/2014 at 12:10 AM.
morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 07:08 AM   #4
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

"The modular plug at the end of the probe is a 4P4C plug. Sometimes it's called an RJ-9, RJ-10 or RJ-22, or a handset plug. If you go to Pacific Custom Cable and search for DC-102-44CD, this is a F/F coupler for RJ-9 plugs. Then if you do a search for R9SSC, this is a custom length straight-thru RJ-9 M/M cable. It is important to use straight-thru, because Neptune chose to use pins 3 and 4 for their contacts, instead of 2 and 3 (the middle two). It appears most RJ-9 handset cords reverse the wiring at each end (1 to 4, 2 to 3, etc.) so the extension would not have the right pins active when assembled if using standard pinning. It looks like everything would be $25-$30 after shipping via UPS.

Or you could cut the probe wire and solder in an extension, of course voiding the warranty.

The thermistor in the probe runs in the 4K-5K ohm range, so adding a couple of ohms in cable resistance should not noticeably affect its accuracy."

Great stuff. Bought 2 of each for 20 plus shipping and you can customize the cable to any length.

Unread 10/21/2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Ted_C
Registered Member

Hi Fuzzy - you may get more traction if you were to post your question in the TBRC here on reef central - many apex users in that sub-forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Ted_C is offline   Reply With Quote