Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2018, 08:53 PM   #1
jimmyx36
Registered Member

Puffer resistant corals

Hi folks,

I know everybody says small puffers and and boxfish aren't reef safe, but I've also heard people say you can make it work by avoiding certain corals. For example, I've heard sharp nosed puffers like acans. My understanding is that they aren't coral generalists but have specific appetites for certain corals.

My tank is soft corals only so I'm looking for recommendations for compatible corals as well recommended species of puffers, cowfish, and boxfish.

jimmyx36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Spartan
Registered Member

I have 2 sharp nosed puffers in my softie tank. A 3.5" blue spot (2 years or more) and a 1" Caribbean/bennetts (6 months). No issues at all w the corals ( I don't have any acans). Interestingly, they have a reputation for picking at other fish. I have not once seen anything like that from either of them.

Current Tank Info: 180g, 100g sump, 55 g refuge
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 04:12 PM   #3
nikon187
Registered Member

all fish are individuals. what one didnt eat another may go to town on. you will have to try different corals and see. Fleshy stuff is going to be on the menu more than likely

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

My Valentini did not bother frogspawn, mushrooms, or Acans. Green star polyps survived with her, but I am not convinced she did not pick at them. She did nibble on the tips of birds nest. I only put frags of coral from my other tank in with her - basically the overgrowth that I pruned off and would have disposed of anyhow. She also did not bother rock flower anemones.

Now snails were a different story. I could toss her nuisance snails form my freshwater tank and she would eat them before they had a chance to die from the salinity.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote