Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2010, 07:20 PM   #151
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Next came the tricky part of disassembling the trees, moving them into the tank, and re-assembling. This worked flawlessly on one of the trees, and the other one we had trouble remembering how it went back together!!
No problem-o! We just re-worked and wound up improving it.
Here's how it looked with both in there...

Detail of the left side sculpture:

And then finally looking from the right side across towards the left:

For you plumbing freaks, we finally finished up the closed loop and drains.
Thanks for everyone's input and advice on this, it really did help us a lot:

All of this work, and while we knocked some stuff off the list, there's still quite a lot more to do:

The good news is the tank is now full of water, the closed loop is blasting like no tomorrow! The herbie drains are working just like we planned (and it's a really good thing we took y'alls advice and put gate valves on those things).

Now we are dreaming of having fish in there:

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 05:02 AM.
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2010, 07:28 PM   #152
Untamed12
Registered Member

That's a good strainer for the CL intake. The same one that I use. I've found it useful to have an extra one so I can reach in, unscrew, and replace the strainer without shutting anything off. There won't be any dangerous suction on that strainer at all.

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Untamed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2010, 08:06 PM   #153
blumoon reefers
Registered Member

Love the aquascaping! Can't wait to see it with corals and fish swimming around. You guys have done a GREAT job!!!

Current Tank Info: 150 gal with 40b sump/fuge
blumoon reefers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 04:22 PM   #154
spamn
Registered Member

Somehow, I've missed this build up until now. Mike, it looks GREAT. It looks like no details were overlooked at all. I cannot wait to see the finished product.

spamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2010, 09:24 PM   #155
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed12
That's a good strainer for the CL intake. The same one that I use. I've found it useful to have an extra one so I can reach in, unscrew, and replace the strainer without shutting anything off. There won't be any dangerous suction on that strainer at all.
Thanks UT. We placed the rock in such a way as to be able to easily get at the strainer and unscrew it. It's very sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumoon reefers View Post
Love the aquascaping! Can't wait to see it with corals and fish swimming around. You guys have done a GREAT job!!!
Thanks Milissa! We're really looking forward to getting the sand and some livestock moved in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamn View Post
Somehow, I've missed this build up until now. Mike, it looks GREAT. It looks like no details were overlooked at all. I cannot wait to see the finished product.
Great to have ya onboard! Terry's already said she's looking forward to having the RRC crew come over and check it out...

OK, brace yourself, here's our first 300 DOUBLE D full frontal!!

Sorry about the white balance. Got a new camera and haven't read the book yet

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 05:03 AM.
Unread 03/31/2010, 04:57 AM   #156
NasotheHutt
Registered Member

Looks good!

Current Tank Info: 180 delivered...working on stand
NasotheHutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 05:14 AM   #157
RichK
Registered Member

Mike, I haven't commented in a while, but that looks great man. That is kinda what I am thinking for aquascaping. Two towers and a small island in the center. With sand and fish, that is going to look awesome!

I take it that the overflows are working OK? Still not sure what I am going to do there. However, I may ask Marineland to stretch my 300DD to 8'. Decisions, decisions.

BTW, if you have photoshop. etc, just go to color balance and adjust the sliders. That blue look will be gone in a few seconds

RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 05:29 AM   #158
leslie hempel
Registered Member

coming along very nicley

leslie hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 09:12 PM   #159
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasotheHutt View Post
Looks good!
Thanks Naso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
Mike, I haven't commented in a while, but that looks great man. That is kinda what I am thinking for aquascaping. Two towers and a small island in the center. With sand and fish, that is going to look awesome!

I take it that the overflows are working OK? Still not sure what I am going to do there. However, I may ask Marineland to stretch my 300DD to 8'. Decisions, decisions.

BTW, if you have photoshop. etc, just go to color balance and adjust the sliders. That blue look will be gone in a few seconds
Appreciate you checking in, Rich. Yes, the overflows are fine. We're running a Panworld 150PS main return pump. It is also driving the loop over to the Ca Reactor and the frag tank/refugium, but it's not over-running the drains at all. We may need to use the chiller pump for the frag tank/refug loop, and just let the main return run full out to the display...

8' of double D goodness would just be stunning. If you got the room and the cash, I would go for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie hempel View Post
coming along very nicley
Thanks Leslie! Appreciate the kind words from way over there!!

Unread 04/03/2010, 07:58 AM   #160
lhcorals
Registered Member

Mike everything is looking great. Cant wait to see it finished in person. LMK if you need anything.

Lynn and Anna

lhcorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 10:59 AM   #161
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

The 180 was amazing! I cannot wait to see this one filled up with corals and fish. =)

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2010, 08:55 PM   #162
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnext
good looking tank!
Thanks for stopping in and sharing the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcorals
Mike everything is looking great. Cant wait to see it finished in person. LMK if you need anything.
Lynn and Anna
Thanks Lynn. We're gonna need some of those sweet frags you have. We picked up some coral crack from Joe - once things settle down a little, we'll need to talk about getting some of your nice stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGirl411
The 180 was amazing! I cannot wait to see this one filled up with corals and fish. =)
Thanks MG! We are really excited to have it up and running after all these months of planning and installation.

The last couple of days have been quite busy.
Here's the rundown of what we've accomplished since Friday:
  • Got all the lighting electronics installed into the stand, and finalized the wiring in the light rack and canopy.
  • Reworked the left side aquascaping
  • chopped down some of the bigger colonies down to more managable pieces
  • got the 125 holding tank emptied out!
  • Did some preliminary coral placement
  • Read the camera book a little bit
  • Drank a couple cold Sam Adams Noble Pils

And here are the fruits of our labors:

A couple of macro shots:

We are looking for another piece of live rock for the left side tree. We took out the big chunk of concrete-looking piece...it just didn't fit with the overall look we are going for, so we will just have to be patient and search for just the right stuff.

Thanks for tuning in!

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 05:03 AM.
Unread 04/03/2010, 09:23 PM   #163
crvz
Team RC Member

looks really good, wonderful start and I'm sure it will only get better as it matures.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 05:28 AM   #164
RichK
Registered Member

Wow, that looks great Mike. With corals, that aquascaping looks very natural. Lots of open space for fish and grow out. Well done. Now, sit back and have a few more Sam Adams and enjoy!

RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 06:10 AM   #165
crvz
Team RC Member

So how much sand did you end up using? And how deep is the bed covering the bottom?

Unread 04/04/2010, 09:07 AM   #166
spamn
Registered Member

Looks great. You had to wait on a few details and hiccups in the beginning but you made darned good progress at the end. Now comes the fun part of fine tuning everything you aren't PERFECTLY happy with.

spamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 06:10 PM   #167
lhcorals
Registered Member

Mike it really looks great. So glad it has gone pretty smooth for you, even though i know it was a lot of hard and stressful work. Sweet reward at the end though. LMK when you want some frags. I have some nice high end ones that will look sweet in the tank. I am going to give you a free frag as a new aquarium warming gift. Cant wait to see it in person. We will probably be going to Joe's next weekend so i wll give you a call to see if we can swing by.

Lynn and Anna

lhcorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 07:26 PM   #168
Soferik
Registered Member

WOW Mike and Terry, great job! I thought your 180 was amazing, but the new tank is absolutely stunning! I know you guys just hosted a meet not to long ago, but this tank calls for round 2.

Current Tank Info: 150 Deep Dimension, OceansMotions 4-way w/ Reeflo Hammerhead, Deltec APF800, Velocity T-4 return pump w/ 1 inch Sea Swirl, 48 (soon to be 112) Cree 3 watt LED's controlled by Apex
Soferik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 08:58 AM   #169
Dante_JoseCuerv
Registered Member

@OP, what kind of strainer is that for the CL and where can I get one? I'm gonna be doing a very similar build to you in about a month or so and I really liked your CL setup.

Dante_JoseCuerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 02:30 PM   #170
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
looks really good, wonderful start and I'm sure it will only get better as it matures.
Thank you, Chris; that is a great complement coming from you! And yes, we have a ways to go - we just started seeing the diatom bloom last night, so we are going to have a cycle. We just hope it isn't too stressful on the livestock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnext View Post
very nice!, like how the OM in the stand (clear from anything else).
Thanks upnext. The OM4 takes up a lot of room. That is the downside to them...We're really liking the spa flex though, which provides the flexibility to get at some of the tight spots under the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
Wow, that looks great Mike. With corals, that aquascaping looks very natural. Lots of open space for fish and grow out. Well done. Now, sit back and have a few more Sam Adams and enjoy!
Indeed Rich! We have spent several hours in front of the display doing just that! Thanks for keeping an eye out on us and chiming in!

Quote:
So how much sand did you end up using? And how deep is the bed covering the bottom?
We used about 80 pounds, Chris, but it's not enough. We barely have 3/4 to one inch across the tank. My guess is in order to get 1.5" would require about 200 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamn View Post
Looks great. You had to wait on a few details and hiccups in the beginning but you made darned good progress at the end. Now comes the fun part of fine tuning everything you aren't PERFECTLY happy with.
@ Sam - so true! Just like Rich said to just sit in front and enjoy, but it's hard to wind down the "install machine"! There is always something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcorals View Post
Mike it really looks great. So glad it has gone pretty smooth for you, even though i know it was a lot of hard and stressful work. Sweet reward at the end though. LMK when you want some frags. I have some nice high end ones that will look sweet in the tank. I am going to give you a free frag as a new aquarium warming gift. Cant wait to see it in person. We will probably be going to Joe's next weekend so i wll give you a call to see if we can swing by.

Lynn and Anna
Yep - you know you guys are always welcome to come by! I'll PM ya with the phone number. You probably recognized that nice purple monti!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soferik View Post
WOW Mike and Terry, great job! I thought your 180 was amazing, but the new tank is absolutely stunning! I know you guys just hosted a meet not to long ago, but this tank calls for round 2.
Thanks Jon. We need to get a couple months of settling in and fine-tuning, but yeah we are looking forward to having RRC over for a party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_JoseCuerv View Post
@OP, what kind of strainer is that for the CL and where can I get one? I'm gonna be doing a very similar build to you in about a month or so and I really liked your CL setup.
Hi Dante. It is a 2" pump strainer. The thing is huge, but eliminates the dangerous suction that can trap smaller animals or fish that don't swim so well like our radial leather jacket. Let us know how we can help with your build...

Unread 04/05/2010, 06:01 PM   #171
Dante_JoseCuerv
Registered Member

Thanks a bunch prof-frags. I'll pm you if I have any questions. I'm just trying to figure out how I want everything set up.

/end hijack.

Dante_JoseCuerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2010, 08:59 PM   #172
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
Thank you, Chris; that is a great complement coming from you! And yes, we have a ways to go - we just started seeing the diatom bloom last night, so we are going to have a cycle. We just hope it isn't too stressful on the livestock.
nah, you'll be alright. just be ready for some water changes. those diatoms are more likely to be from the silicates coming in from the new glass/plumbing than from a nutrient cycle. Once those silicates are consumed, the diatoms will fade away.

Unread 04/05/2010, 09:00 PM   #173
Whitebread
resident stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soferik View Post
I know you guys just hosted a meet not to long ago, but this tank calls for round 2.
+1

Mike and Terry! Looks Inspiring! Rock work is Incredible, kudos for beautiful scape. Can't wait to see it in person. You gotta get some FTS over on RRC. I was thinking the 'boys will be boys' thread needs an April update. Then jumped over here, curious how things were going, really glad I did. Great job to both of you, really nice!

Unread 04/09/2010, 10:59 PM   #174
PSU REEFER
Registered Member

Looking great Mike. What type of sand did you finally decide to go with?

Current Tank Info: 500g w/ a few fish & little coral, but that will change. 4 MH(400w-2-10K & 2-20k), 4-6' VHO, CL thru eurobracing, 2-Tunze's, OCT 5000ext., RKE, 2-550's LFR(GFO & Carbon), 2-part, and more equipment to add down the road.
PSU REEFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 04:07 PM   #175
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
nah, you'll be alright. just be ready for some water changes. those diatoms are more likely to be from the silicates coming in from the new glass/plumbing than from a nutrient cycle. Once those silicates are consumed, the diatoms will fade away.
Thanks Chris - you're spot on. We've been doing 10% water changes to beat back the cycle impacts. It's looking pretty ugly right now, but just gotta keep the skimmer running kinda wet and buying more buckets of TM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread View Post
+1

Mike and Terry! Looks Inspiring! Rock work is Incredible, kudos for beautiful scape. Can't wait to see it in person. You gotta get some FTS over on RRC. I was thinking the 'boys will be boys' thread needs an April update. Then jumped over here, curious how things were going, really glad I did. Great job to both of you, really nice!
Thanks Richard. We're expecting 3 more peices of live rock that will hopefully fit in just like we want so we can finish up the aquascaping and then start our final coral placements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU REEFER View Post
Looking great Mike. What type of sand did you finally decide to go with?
Thanks Rob. We wound up with a mix of 80lbs of the caribsea west carib reef, and I used about another 20 lbs of live sand from our curing tub. 100 lbs isn't enough (we still have some bare spots) so we are going to put in another 80-100 lbs. Probably going to get the seaflor special grade.