Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Sk8r
RC Mod

A tank with nothing but what you bought?

I prefer surprises. A few have been problematic, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Some people fancy killing off every unscheduled invert and growth they spot, but hey, they're half the fun.
I name my big bristleworms. Frodo, Sam, etc. They top out at about a foot, but take residence in a rock and don't do more than extend to reach food.
I've had barnacles, little clams, sea squirts, even a very pretty nudi (no zoas in my tank) that I regretted not being able to feed.
I've had black, white, yellow sponges, and a lovely blue network sponge that was really spectacular over the rocks, lost it when I moved.
A few things I won't tolerate: a hairy crab; crabs above micro-hermit in size (even mithrax green); hydroids; aiptasia; majanos; fireworm (hermodice carunculata) but most everything else the sea gives me is fun.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 01:00 PM   #2
cvrle1
Registered Member

My 1st tank that I had 10+ years ago, I used live rock that I got from someone shutting down their tank. It was full of life and was always fun to see what new creature may pop out. Thankfully I didnt have any pests that came with it. This time around I have a bucnh of dead rock that i will use, not because I dont trust LR, but because I got this rock for dirt cheap (it was live at one point) Also, I havent seen anyone locally shut down their tanks in a while, so no idea if I could get LR. I know that there are few places that sell LR, but it is really pricey and I have no idaea if they would ship into Canada. That in it self would raise the price a lot too. I am hoping to find few pieces from local reefers that are willing to sell me some when time comes, so that way I can have some LR to seed all this dead rock with.

Last edited by cvrle1; 04/02/2020 at 01:06 PM.
cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

One thing you can do in a club. Trade rocks. The wildlife comes with them. But be sure you're clean!

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Unread 04/03/2020, 01:59 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It's been a few years since I bought real live rock (the good ones from the ocean with all the good/bad stuff on it). Yet only a couple of nights ago I spotted a quarter size crab in one rock cavity with a lot of sponge growth in it. It must have lived in my tank for a few years. I don't know if it did any damage, but at this point, I do not intend to hunt it. From what I have seen it is actually kind of pretty.
In the past, I had pistol shrimp, bivalves, little anemones,..., even corals as hitchhikers.
Even in stores I rather go after the obscure stuff than the more boring mainstream shrimp, coral or even fish.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

I was so sad I couldn't keep my little barnacle alive. And I've never seen anything like that blue network sponge-thing I lost in a move.