Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2009, 07:33 AM   #51
chuggy
Moved On

pics

i thinks its a 10 gallon bow thanks for the compliments i try to keep my nitrates in the 10 range. The reason i asked about the the mini reefs was i now have 6 mated pairs of clowns but only 1 pair thats in my 125 reef setup, is laying eggs. I was thinking if i made it more natural for them it might induce spawning sooner.
These are the guys i really want eggs from.

current egg layers they lay eggs every 12 days

chuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 12:51 PM   #52
president89
Registered Member

Wow.

This is what I'm planning. Thanks for those pics.

What size tanks are you keeping the pairs in? Are those 10G? Did you pair those yourself, or were you able to buy egg laying pairs from someone? I'm interested in doing False and true percs. I was thinking of doing all 20g tanks, but 10G would be much cheaper in respect to cost of tanks.

president89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 01:36 PM   #53
chuggy
Moved On

there in a 40 gallon tank divided by 3 but i have a couple 40 divided by 2 im about to upgrade to.

I bought them all as pairs but like i said before only my original pair was laying eggs in my 125 reef but the reason i say was is sadly enough the female had some kind of seizure and died.

The ironic part is it happened while i was in the process of picking these guys up.

You just cant win in this hobby.

chuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 02:30 PM   #54
cantagious
KEEPING IT REAL

Looks like your winning to me nice set up !!!

TIME FOR CHANGE
cantagious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 08:03 PM   #55
john68camaro
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your female... That is quite odd from the video. I just moved my extra broodstock over to their new setup. They are really liking it so far. Everyone is swimminly!

The true perc pairs you want egg's from. Be prepared to wait for the fry/juvis to mature. They can take several months to get a second and third stripe.

john68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2010, 10:46 PM   #56
cynthia159
Registered Member

Any updates?!

cynthia159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2010, 11:52 PM   #57
flying_dutchman
Moved On

What size PVC did you use for the drain line?
Setup looks great BTW

flying_dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2010, 09:37 AM   #58
john68camaro
Registered Member

Sorry, for the late reply.

The drain line is 1.5 inches. This is a tad bit too small for the drain as I had to add a bypass back to the sump mid drain. I should have gone with a 2" drain.

Only real update worth mentioning is my set of Ocellaris have started breeding for me. I have been holding off on raising my true perc's as I have a ton of these in growout and they take forever to get to a sellable size. That and I want to focus on other species for now. For Broodstock I currently have 2 sets of true percs, 1 set of black and whites, 1 set of Pink skunks, 1 set of ocellaris and a mis matched set of a male black and white and a female ocellaris. I will be picking up a set of picasso and another set of black and whites from a breeding shutting down his operation shorty. I have also just switched out my cheato for an algae scrubber.

I am currently planning on upgrading my setup in the near future. I will be going with an 8' setup on my open wall in this room. I plan on having 2 tiers of tanks with 6, 15G tanks and 3, 10G tanks on each tier. Only reason I am doing this is 15G tanks measure 12.5 inches and I can not fit 8 of them in 96" of space. One thing I am trying to minimize with my new design is noise. It sounds like a waterfall in my basement. I also want to minimize evaporation as when I turn my dehumidifier off for too long, it smells like a wet sock in my basement.

My plan is to build the new setup, decomission my old one and put a second 2 tier setup in its place. Using one tier for growout and one for broodstock.

The picture below is of my make shift algae scrubber. With my new setup I wil be going to a 75G sump instead of the 55G I have now. I will be putting a bigger scrubber in the new setup. I will also be painting the bottom of the scrubber black to minimize any algae growth in my sump.

Unread 06/23/2010, 05:14 PM   #59
president89
Registered Member

Great Job John. Threads like this are an inspiration! I keep iffing and awwing at how/where/when I'm building my two tier setup. I just wish there were more 15G tanks available in retail shops. I think it'll get quite expensive if I special order them. I have 3 10Gs and a 15G.

I'm really interested in the ATS. Can I ask where you got your screen and what it is? I've heard cross stitching material, some type of rug weaving backing. I'm at a loss where to buy that stuff. How long have you had the scrubber? Is it really keeping your nitrates low?

Also, how do you plan on rearranging the tanks? Aren't you concerned with your broodstock ceasing to spawn if you move them to a different tank? That's one of my concerns now. My new setup will have to be in the same place I'm working now. I don't want to freak my fish out by moving them all around.

Unread 06/23/2010, 07:42 PM   #60
john68camaro
Registered Member

The Scrubber has been in for about a week. That picture was from when I just installed it. You can get that material at craft stores. I got mine from joann fabrics. Its a plastic matting used for weaving and needle point. Its back by the thread and yarn type of crafts. I got the idea from fishtalpropagations.com. He uses it for his overflow/drains in his tanks. I have started using it for mine as well, keeping the sponge over the drains in my smaller juvi tanks...

Before you design your setup, a few things I tried to focus on, ease of maintence, and low energy usuage. Noise reduction will be my next main focus.

When I rearrange my tanks, I will be moving my non breeding broodstock. The spawners are in a 16G Bow front reef and my original pair and current spawners were moved to an 8G biocube as I was out of space in my broodstock tanks.

I do have a bit of a challenge coming up. I have vacation on Monday of next week until thursday. For this, I will need to move 14day old fry onto my system. I have a fine sponge over the drain in that tank. I will keep the flow on a fast drip into this tank. For my vacations, I have auto feeders. I will try to see how otohime b1 does in an auto 2x a day feeder. Not sure how many will still be alive when i get back, but we will see.

I will also have a hatch I think tonight. This one will go into a bucket instead of a tank for rearing. This batch will either come with me on vacation or go to a baby sitter to watch over. If it goes with me, I have a power inverter in the back of my suv to plug the heater and airstone into. Figure, bring a bucket of rots/pinch of rotifier diet hd, amquel and some otohime A.

I can not tell you how cool it is to look at my fry starting to get a full second stripe so soon! so happy I am!

Unread 06/23/2010, 08:15 PM   #61
president89
Registered Member

That is so awesome. Bringing your fish with you on vacation!

Unread 06/25/2010, 08:10 PM   #62
shakara_b
Registered Member

Dude. U R my fishero. LOL.

shakara_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 11:35 PM   #63
Almenmarine
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Killer setup man. Have you had any of the bulkheads cause cracks in those 10's at all?

Almenmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2010, 05:52 AM   #64
john68camaro
Registered Member

No issues with the bulkheads cracking the glass. The only issues I have had with the glass cracking was when I was drilling them or when stupid me tried to move a tank that was half way full and accidentally grabbed the pipe coming out of the bulkhead. It head for a few seconds, long enough for me to say to myself, you shouldnt be holding this by that and Crack!...

Thanks for the kind words shakara_b!

Unread 06/26/2010, 02:18 PM   #65
john68camaro
Registered Member

The bucket did not work so well for the clown fry. All dead this morning. Seemed to be eating but had an issue with onoe of my heaters.

On the other hand, I added my 15day old fry on to my growout system. The tank has a slow drip of growout water into it and a big sponge on the overflow. Its a 1" bulkhead with a pvc adaptor for a 1" to 2" pvc pipe with an Aqua clear sponge cut and fit onto it. I am hoping with the very slow flow, the bigger surface area on the overflow sponge will = no issues with the fry and the overflow. All seem to be doing very good except 1 little guy who is a bit small.

Normally I wouldnt add them so soon, but vacation dictates otherwise.

Unread 06/26/2010, 07:27 PM   #66
Almenmarine
Registered Member

I wonder why clowns are so attracted to Clay pots and clay tiles. so odd

Almenmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2010, 08:07 PM   #67
john68camaro
Registered Member

I think the general conensus is that the pots simulate a natural cave enviroment for the clowns. My theroy on the tiles are they are a clean flat spot for them to lay eggs on.

Unread 07/02/2010, 09:35 PM   #68
john68camaro
Registered Member

Just got back from my mini vacation to the beach. I lost 3 of my fry I added to my system. The auto feeders with otohime in them and the slow flow into the tanks have worked very good! Very happy they are doing so good!

Unread 07/07/2010, 02:04 PM   #69
john68camaro
Registered Member

Some updated pictures. Algae scrubber is working good so far. Nitrates have not come down yet. But soon short start to.

Unread 07/07/2010, 08:13 PM   #70
Maivortex
Registered Member

nice set up!

Maivortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2010, 10:07 PM   #71
dh350twin
Registered Member

nice job guys....i hope soon i will have a fry

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon peninsula mixed reef tank
dh350twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2010, 08:57 PM   #72
sterling18
WMAS and HVReef Member

Awesome thread, so glad it's still going.

sterling18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2010, 09:48 PM   #73
john68camaro
Registered Member

Some updated pictures... I just recently started taking the plunge and am expanding my setup. I built the rack yesterday and today. It was painted tonight by me and my 5 year old. I will start doing the plumbing tomorrow and hopefully get some water in it this weekend. The goal is to move my juvi's on my old system to this one and utilize my old setup for a few broodstock tanks and the rest of the space as a workspace.

Unread 08/21/2010, 05:48 AM   #74
john68camaro
Registered Member

Plumbing is 99% done. Leak tested the return yesterday, No leaks!!!!

Unread 08/21/2010, 06:19 AM   #75
rkelman
Registered Member

Looks great. Looking forward to seeing this all setup!

rkelman is offline   Reply With Quote