Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2015, 03:16 PM   #1
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Cool Zoanthids and Phosphate - What is the Ideal Phosphate Level Will too much Stunt Growt

I see people all the time say that Zoanthids like "Dirty" Water.

Meaning elevated Levels of Phosphate and Nitrate.

But I never see anybody mentioning exact numbers.

This has me wondering - Is there a Point of Diminishing Returns?

If you say reach a certain Phosphate Level will Zoanthids

Growth Slow Down
Will their Color Fade
Will they straight up Die?

I have been told (Generally speaking for Coral in General - Not just Zoanthids) that if your Phosphate Level reaches 2.0 or 3.0 then your risk Corals Dying.

I started using Reef Roids and Reef Chili 3 Months ago.

Since them I have gotten a ton of extra growth that I didn't have before.

But my Nitrates and Phosphates have been rising and rising.

Should I be concerned?

Should I cut back on using this stuff?

Is there a certain level (Both for Phosphate and Nitrate) that I will start to experience less growth, loss of color, melting, or anything else negative like that?

Any info on this would help greatly.

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2015, 11:17 AM   #2
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Anybody have any thoughts regarding this?

Unread 01/10/2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Reverend Reefer
Registered Member

i think this is a really interesting question and i've often wondered about this general comment that everyone quotes (including myself). but really, how dirty is dirty? i'm sure there will be lots of people stating that it depends but even a ballpark number would help. i've decided to move in the direction of a zoanthid dominated tank and i too have been feeding more roids and oyster eggs and the like and wonder at what level i should start being concerned relative to what values would provide ideal conditions for growth. including wondering what people mean when they state less light is better, more blue, etc, but that's another thread i guess.

Tank: 65G glass 48" long tank; Sump/Fuge: 30G. Lighting: LEDs+single T5 strip. Maintenance: ATO Kalkwasser + 10% weekly WC, daily feedings
LPS+Softies dominated.
Reverend Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 12:18 AM   #4
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Reefer View Post
i think this is a really interesting question and i've often wondered about this general comment that everyone quotes (including myself). but really, how dirty is dirty? i'm sure there will be lots of people stating that it depends but even a ballpark number would help. i've decided to move in the direction of a zoanthid dominated tank and i too have been feeding more roids and oyster eggs and the like and wonder at what level i should start being concerned relative to what values would provide ideal conditions for growth. including wondering what people mean when they state less light is better, more blue, etc, but that's another thread i guess.
+1

If anybody has any thoughts on this subject (either proven or even just theories) please join the conversation here and share with us.

Unread 01/12/2015, 05:04 PM   #5
650-IS350
Registered Member

Don't get "DIRTY WATER" high phos/nitr/nit/ etc confused with dirty water " high food levels in the water and nutrient rich (phyto etc )

You can have a somewhat of a clean tank but nutrient rich (food), But I believe in a ZEO tank you pretty much starve the tank of nutrients so that you achieve zero levels of phos/nit etc...

http://saltwateraquariumblog.com/9-m...ter-parameters
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nutrientcontrol.htm

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Wryknow
Registered Member

I'm working on trying to find a good balance myself but my current theory is to try and keep nitrate and phosphate at or near 0 through good filtration and and a big clean up crew but feed the zoas daily. So far I'm getting mixed results but the tank is pretty new.

Current Tank Info: 65 G RR, w/ 50 G sump/refugium, DIY LED lighting, AquaMaxx CO-1 skimmer, Tunze 1073.050 return
Wryknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2015, 03:20 PM   #7
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

NSW for me... NO3 about .1 to .2 and PO4 about .005. This yields great color and growth. I don't feed any coral.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 07:02 AM   #8
Mark426
Registered Member

What I like for zoas and most other corals including SPS is about what jda posted. If you dont have something like a hanna ultra low meter then just shoot for "just barely" detectable nitrate and phosphate levels.

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 06:11 AM   #9
Piper27
I love bengals

Zoanthids don't nessesarily like high nutrient levels, although some strains can aclimate to "dirty" tanks. In my experience the levels posted above are ideal. Lots of nutrients coming into the tank along with great nutrient export just like sps has worked great for us. Keeping a dirty tank just creates algae and other things that will give you trouble growing zoanthids.
Ime most ZOA's like to be in the same water that sps does. Although flow can be lowered and may need to be for some strains to do well. Same with light, but most do great, and most can a climate to thoes situations even better than dirty tanks. Zoanthids liking dirty water is a huge misinterpretation. There is no need to run around feeding corals daily, creating a huge nutrient problem while thinking your zoanthids are going to explode with growth. I feed my fish, thats it. I have not found feeding zoanthids to be benificial if I am feeding my fish large feedings daily or more. If I had no fish it would be a different story. Just my experience, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote