Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/21/2019, 10:52 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

best sediment filter for RO DI -- that will seat perfectly

Hi,

Sometimes I'll get a bad prefilter (sediment). In that the fine particles will by pass it and hit my pentek carbon block, clogging it up. Normally all is well and sediment gets filtered by my 5 um ROSave: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ge-ro...nt-filter.html

I have a zetazorb after this.. << which also coincidnetally 'failed' along with the first stage prefilter, but I'll leave that out of this thread b/c I need to use that, I dont think there is a better low um level replacement for that.

I probably should have been using a 1 um with MY water. But still, the 5 um was working (previous ones until this particular one). Should I go back to spectra pure? https://www.spectrapure.com/product/...-l-sf-mt-1-10/

I got the ROSave b/c it looked like in the description it would catch even more particles and have a longer life. But if it's hit or miss, then I risk ruining my carbon blocks. **One of my blocks is a $$$$ Chloramine Monster -- for some reason the particles mostly pass through this and get stuck on the next chamber (the first of my pentek 10" chloro plus blocks).

I'd much rather be secure with a good fit and reliable prefilter and change it 2X as often than a hit or miss that may allow sediment to pass through.

TY!

CTaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2019, 03:04 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

Get the Spectrapure. 1 is always better than 5, unless you want to rune two a 5 and a 1.

180 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 8 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ and 2 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail and Bellus, Flame, Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/22/2019, 08:05 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You can also go down to .5 on sediment & carbon blocks

Old 09/22/2019, 01:42 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

It's not the um size. The carts are allowing bypass of sediment. I've been using 5 um, they trapped sediment, they got darker noticeably in a few weeks. This last one was one that stayed white, it didnt trap anything. Everything passed through defects in it, or just wouldnt seal. I took it out and put it back in carefully, still didnt work. So that's why I was asking abbout a different brand or type. Yes, I should use 1 um, but that was a side remark, I probably shouldnt have put that in there.
Thanks!

Old 09/22/2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Time to try a new one.
I try to keep an extra set on hand just in case.

Old 09/22/2019, 04:17 PM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

well , right. I already have a new one in there. But is there a most reliable brand? model, etc.

Old 09/22/2019, 07:30 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
well , right. I already have a new one in there. But is there a most reliable brand? model, etc.
Spectrapure has the best cartridges in my experience. Their .5 micron prefilters are what I use in my RODI along with the 99% rejection membranes and Spectrapure DI cartridges. I use their 5 micron prefilters in my 3 stage ahead of my RODI which has a Spectrapure 5 micron along with two Pentek ChlorPlus cartridges to remove chloramines before my RODI. Iíve experimented with other prefilters, membranes and DI cartridges but none have lasted as long as the Spectrapures so I am happy to spend a bit more to have my cartridges last a lot longer and have the piece of mind.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote