Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2004, 07:46 PM   #26
ottdid
Registered Member

sweet!

ottdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2004, 08:51 PM   #27
agentb2
Premium Member

in-freakin-credible! Nice tank!!!!

agentb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2004, 10:27 PM   #28
Josh K
Registered Member

Absolutle beutiful, very nice natural look with a variety of colours. Wish mine would turn out even half as nice. Congrats

Josh K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2004, 11:18 PM   #29
Jamesurq
Moved On

nice tank man. Makes my 90 look sparce...

I saw Mag 24 and "not throttled back" and was like HUH??? I guess the whole part about it being in the basement took a while to sink in.... How much overall head do you figure you have on that pump?

Jamesurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 01:04 AM   #30
melev
Moved On

What a wonderful tank, and your commentary was very easy to identify with.

My question is that cute little fish pointing straight up..... what is he thinking?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 05:08 AM   #31
smiller
Premium Member

Great tank and great pics! Well done!

It's good to learn from your experiences. It's better to learn from other's experiences.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 08:21 AM   #32
NM reef
Registered Member

TOTM is one of favorite features anywhere on the web...and this selection is top notch. Congradulations on your selection and many wishs for continued success!

NM reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 09:56 AM   #33
kbreese
Registered Member

So what all do you feed your coral's. Just the cyclop-eeze or do you also feed some type of Bioplankton like DT's or Liquid life??

Very nice tank.

Current Tank Info: Barebottom 75g Reef AGA RR w/Classic Oak stand/canopy. 6XT5 lighting w/tek reflectors & IC ballasts. Euroreef CS6-2. Mag950 & 5 MJ ph's w/wm pro. AquaFX rodi.125lbs Figi & marshall Isl LR. Mixed corals. 55g FW tank.
kbreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 10:43 AM   #34
cman
Registered Member

Quote:
nice job, what kind of kalk reactor and doser do you use
I use a StoneyReef reactor. It's buit by someone here at RC and works fine. It is connected to a Nurce top-off. The trick is to make sure there are no air leaks in the reactor otherwise the Nurce will not deliver the water to the reactor properly.

Quote:
I was wondering if you could give any sugggestions with my tank. I have a 75 gallon reef ready tank. when I get water from my over flow into my sump, I get alot of bubbles and when the water travels to my return pump and back into my tank air bubbles are coming out
Man, I battled with this when I first started. That's when I had a 20 long in the stand below my tank. When I moved the sump to the basement and had the room to add baffles I was able to get rid of the bubbles. When I was using the 20 I had actually built a wall with some thick foam blocks. I had the overflow spill into on side and the return on the other. The only problem with that is you need to clean the foam blocks often

Quote:
How much overall head do you figure you have on that pump?
About 9'

Quote:
So what all do you feed your coral's. Just the cyclop-eeze or do you also feed some type of Bioplankton like DT's or Liquid life??
Other than the cyclop-eeze I really don't feed anything else on a consistent basis. I will feed DT's sometimes when I can find it locally.

cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 10:52 AM   #35
Toledofishguy
Registered Member

Nice to see a primarily softie tank as tank of the month. Us who love the softies appreciate it. Love the tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 under t-5 lighting
Toledofishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 11:31 AM   #36
Andrewsreef
Registered Member

Very nice tank. I do have a question about your lighting. I did not notice you having a chiller and want to know how you have your fans mounted to keep the temp below 82. I have a 75 gallon setup with 2X175 Halides and 2 VHO actinics and I strugle with my current canope to keep the temp below 82 in the summer (Florida heat) with the house temp around 78. I can keep it at 82 if I keep the canope open but I hate the look.

What have you found that helps with the temp?

Thanks a lot

Andrew

Andrewsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 11:38 AM   #37
melev
Moved On

Andrew, his article mentioned the the basement is about 2 degrees cooler all the time, so the water is chilled slightly as it goes to the sump. Plus some of his return plumbing is routed through his airconditioning ductwork, so when the A/C is on, it helps cool the water enough that he doesn't need a chiller.

Unread 03/08/2004, 12:39 PM   #38
MacnReef
Registered Member

Incredible Tank!

How is your drain handling 22gpm? Man I would think you would need more than a 1" drain. I have a 90 and I am using a Mag9.5 and was considering a 12, but a 24. Man that is a lot of power. Do you think the overflow with a Durso could handle a Mag18 with about 4' of head?

Also, how is the return plumbed? Do you have just one return line or two and different directions. I am finding that the front left corner will get a build up of stuff unless I turn one of my returns down to blow it around.

Mike

Current Tank Info: 58g Oceanic RR l SLS Tek 4x39W T5's l AES Sump l OceanRunner 3500 Return l Reef Octopus 110 Recir. Skimmer
MacnReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 03:26 PM   #39
ShallowWaters
Premium Member

Terrific tank! Congratulations. Your story is one of the most hepful yet because you honestly shared many lessons learned.

How did you extend your canopy vertically and get the stain to match? I have a similar upgrade issue to undertake. Did you think of any alternatives to what you did that can help me short cut the project? (I already own an AGA Modern cherry canopy for a 120G AGA because I figured I could always use it for freshwater in the future.)

Thanks!
Mark

ShallowWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2004, 07:47 PM   #40
cman
Registered Member

Thanks for all your interest!

Quote:
What have you found that helps with the temp?
Melev, thanks for helping with the answer. I'll just add that I have both fans pointing into the hood

Quote:
Do you think the overflow with a Durso could handle a Mag18 with about 4' of head?
I'm not sure. You could always put a ball valve on the output and choke it down a bit if your overflow can't handle it.

Quote:
Also, how is the return plumbed?
I have the return split in two with some loc-line (sp?) This way I can direct the flow in two directions. I sometimes move them around a little to change the water flow slightly.

Quote:
How did you extend your canopy vertically and get the stain to match?
Think of it as a rectangular box with no bottom sitting on the original hood minus the flap. I used some oak hardwood from Home Depot. I had to buy three or fours different stains in order to match the original hood. I just used a piece of scrap wood and tried the different stains until I got it right.

cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 09:01 AM   #41
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

OK.....I have been on here for only about 5 months, but this tank is my favorite tank of the month so far. All of them have been great, but yours really struck me. Can you come to Cleveland for a weekend and duplicate yours in my 100? hehe

Thanks

John

Radicaljbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 10:01 AM   #42
stargazer=2
Registered Member

very nice tank and set up i have a 125 that i am trying to hook up to a basement fuge and sump i have been working on this thing for two months now i am useing a 150gal cattle feeder and a external 70 blue line pump your finished set up has given me what i needed to stick with it and hopefully get it done i was starting to burnout thanks for the push i needed great job

stargazer=2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 11:42 AM   #43
Scuba_Dave
EMERTXE YID

Great tank. My 125g is mostly softies, but I'll have a mix of SPS

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 12:05 PM   #44
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

I too have have the Berlin and never empty it but once per month when doing water changes. And even then it only has about an inch of scum. I will look at the skimmer you use now and maybe change.

1. what is a Durso Standpipe? I have incredible noise from my 100 gallon overflow and would love to quite it down like yours.

2. How are youi feeding them with your canopy? Do you have doors on it that you can open to refill your Eheim or maybe I do not know what a Eheim feeder is.

Thanks

John

Unread 03/09/2004, 12:19 PM   #45
BarryG
Premium Member

great tank carl, congrats on the wonderful system
Barry

BarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 12:28 PM   #46
TheShaws
Registered Member

Totally awesome tank. I will say as others before me.. it looks way larger than a 90 and it's the way you laid it out that makes it so great.

I have tried the rock along the back wall as well but have been somewhat concerned about the lack of water movement behind. I installed a 1200 PH on a spray bar. What sort of circulation do you have behind the rocks?

I am truely inspired to keep on the mixed reef tank route.

peter

TheShaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 12:34 PM   #47
BigBird
Registered Member

Very beautiful tank!! Definitely an inspiration.

I find it very amusing that you too have made the "berlin to euroreef progression." It seems that many on this board have started with a berlin only to ditch it in frustration & upgrade to a euroreef or similar high-end skimmer.

This nickname made sense when I had hair. Now I'm just clinging to it out of a longing for the past.

Current Tank Info: Don't Ask.
BigBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2004, 03:17 PM   #48
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
1. what is a Durso Standpipe? I have incredible noise from my 100 gallon overflow and would love to quite it down like yours.

John
http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...dpipe-open.htm

Unread 03/09/2004, 04:09 PM   #49
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

Thanks melev!!! That looks super easy to make.

Unread 03/09/2004, 09:19 PM   #50
playa
Moved On

Congratulations on TOTM

Beautiful reef!!!

Cheers!

Luis

playa is offline   Reply With Quote