Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2018, 10:11 AM   #1
dweebiii
Registered Member

Fish getting killed down overflows?

I have a 120g 2'x4'x2' reef tank with overflows that lead down to my sump below.

And for more than 2 years, I've been losing fish. Lots of fish... and almost none of them found dead in the tank. Just gone.

I thought they were jumping out of the tank, so I've gone through many changes with my top. I now have egg cartoon with an added smaller plastic screen. There's almost no way they could get out.

When I added a 60g cube to the system (which is set up next to the 120g and feeds into the same sump) for predators, I lost a snowflake eel, who also disappeared...

...then I found his body in my sump.

So here's what I think is happening: fish have been getting down my overflows, ending up in my filter sock where they die (the eel, however, could slip out of that sock, which is why he ended up in the sump).

With ALL of that, what does everyone do to stop fish from going down their overflows? Screening them?

This is what my overflows look like:
http://www.pinellasaquariums.com/6-_...op_768x576.jpg

Looking for ideas.

dweebiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 10:16 AM   #2
dweebiii
Registered Member

To be clear, I don't want to screen the PVC pipes... as a fish that gets to the overflow channel in the back of the tank is largely lost anyway.

Trying to find a way to screen off the overflows so fish don't make it back there.

Unread 06/14/2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Diana A
Registered Member

craft store mesh https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037A97I6..._Tkcqzb3HGXHMN

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:03 PM   #4
oldhead
Registered Member

I'm guessing they are jumping in there? I have egg crate over mine which is under the 1/4" netting that covers the top of the tank, but I did it to keep snails out.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 12:09 PM   #5
smartwater101
Registered Member

The bigger mesh is def the way to go. Don't get anything small like sceen-door or you'll be dealing with buildup and possible overflow of water from the display.

I always had issues with clown gobies and even though they could probably fit through the larger mesh, they never have since I added it.

I glued it to one of my tanks but my second, I simply used a couple extra suction cups to mount it. I definitely prefer it the second way.

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:10 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebiii View Post
To be clear, I don't want to screen the PVC pipes... as a fish that gets to the overflow channel in the back of the tank is largely lost anyway.
Why would they be lost? Just check the overflow periodically. Oh, and there are good reasons to put a screen on the drain pipes. Agree that if you really are losing fish to the overflow/sump, then they're jumping in so put on a cover (downside of a cover is that fish can jump on tip of it and die). I have also used gutter guard as a screening material.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 12:17 PM   #7
smartwater101
Registered Member

Also: get some Overflow strainers.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkh...yABEgL3DPD_BwE

It won't stop fish from getting into the overflow but it will stop them from getting sucked down into a sock where they'll surely die.

Unread 06/14/2018, 12:54 PM   #8
dweebiii
Registered Member

Maybe use the plastic gutter screening like a fence to top the overflows? That might make sense.

Unread 06/14/2018, 01:03 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

Plastic needlepoint canvas is even finer mesh ---watch it if you have hair algae, which can clog, but find this at your hobby or sewing store.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 01:41 PM   #10
josephxsxn
Registered Member

I have never lost fish to my overflow, but I have a foam cover over the drain pipe so the 1 time that a clownfish did make it's way into the overflow they where unable to get sucked into the sump/sock.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 01:44 PM   #11
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartwater101 View Post
Also: get some Overflow strainers.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkh...yABEgL3DPD_BwE

It won't stop fish from getting into the overflow but it will stop them from getting sucked down into a sock where they'll surely die.

This x1000

I had a clownfish that always jumped into my overflow, until I got sick of rescuing it every day. Lived in there for over a year. Strainers are a life saver.

Of course a small piece of acrylic over the top of the overflow(water should flow through the teeth and never over the top) would help too.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 02:36 PM   #12
EMeyer
Registered Member

My lawnmower blenny and peppermint shrimp have taken this trip several times. No big deal, my drain goes to the algal refugium. I periodically check the refugium and put them back if they have made the trip.

Solution: get rid of your sock!

EMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 09:18 PM   #13
NO3
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebiii View Post
I lost a snowflake eel, who also disappeared...
Snowflakes and all kinds of eels are Escape Artists.

Unless the lid is fully sealed, they'll find a way out. Even if the hole is half the diameter of its body it will collapse its body to make it out.

I worked for a LFS for 3 years and I've seen eels magically escape. Only thing they would contain them was a glass lid with a dry rock sitting on the glass. Without the rock they STILL can push the glass up just enough to get out.

Eels are Explorers and Escape Artists capable well beyond you give them credit for

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 10:18 PM   #14
Lsufan
Registered Member

I don’t have a cover on eighther of my overflows. I’ve had a couple wrasses make into the box on one tank but I keep my 90 on the syphon about 1/4” from the bottom of the overflow so they can’t make it into the drain. On my other tank I had a very small mandarin that made the ride to the sump a couple times so I put a strainer on the syphon standpipe. That was a huge mistake. I didn’t see him in the tank for a couple days so I looked in the overflow & he was dead sucked to the strainer. He got in the overflow & got stuck on the strainer & it killed it. He was better off making the ride to the sump.

I find it odd that u have so much trouble with it though. I have had smooth weird for years & have only had a couple fish make it into the overflows.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Devolver
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Lifegard-Aqua...s=pvc+strainer

I use these in my overflow and it fixed the exact problem you are having. it doesn't help keep the fish out of the overflow but it will keep them from getting sucked into the drain pipes

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Joe0813
Registered Member

I'd definitely get a strainer just to stop fish from going into the filter sock

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 03:36 PM   #17
biecacka
Registered Member

I have a royal gramma in my verflow box for the last year. I can't catch him and he doesn't want to be caught. He eats food that gets into the overflow and seems happy. I would much prefer him in the tank but he slipped in there and has been "happy" ever since.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2018, 06:19 PM   #18
bsmurray
Registered Member

I have a drilled 55 gallon with a 1” pvc overflow with the elbow pointing up with a strainer that was mentioned earlier in post #7.

Nothing but pods can get into my filter sock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsmurray is offline   Reply With Quote