Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2016, 05:24 PM   #26
ArmanS
Registered Member

I just paid my final invoice and the shipping cost wasn't too bad at 600 Euros to LAX but now I have to deal with the customs and what not and the person I spoke with said this could easily cost over $500 in fees.

Can any of you who have received their dreambox already tell me how much you had to pay for customs / importing it?

Thanks!

Unread 07/22/2016, 08:53 PM   #27
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanS View Post
I just paid my final invoice and the shipping cost wasn't too bad at 600 Euros to LAX but now I have to deal with the customs and what not and the person I spoke with said this could easily cost over $500 in fees.

Can any of you who have received their dreambox already tell me how much you had to pay for customs / importing it?

Thanks!
I'd be really surprised if customs costs anywhere near that much. Did you check with CBP in Los Angeles?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 09:00 PM   #28
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I'd be really surprised if customs costs anywhere near that much. Did you check with CBP in Los Angeles?

What is CBF? I have a client who is a custom broker and he is looking into it for me. The charge alone for the company RE used is $260. He said it will easily be over $500. I'll keep you updated.

Unread 07/22/2016, 11:01 PM   #29
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
What is CBF? I have a client who is a custom broker and he is looking into it for me. The charge alone for the company RE used is $260. He said it will easily be over $500. I'll keep you updated.
I was talking about customs but from the sounds of it, you are talking about the import processing and freight broker fees? If so, most people handle their own import when picking up at the airport. Customs is really helpful about that stuff and will literally walk you through the process. Do let me know what you find out and feel free to email me.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/25/2016, 11:06 AM   #30
michaelrc51
Registered Member

My fees were around $100. I think the broker fee was $55 and then a $45 fee on pick up at freight place.

michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 12:20 PM   #31
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
This thing cost a fortune but I am sure it will be worth it...
Why? It's an acrylic box that any good fabricator could build...why is this worth that kind of money?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 01:02 PM   #32
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Why? It's an acrylic box that any good fabricator could build...why is this worth that kind of money?
Actually, they aren't acrylic. They are constructed out of a very high grade PVC that you can't even get in the states. Even the clear viewing panes are a very special transparent PVC and not acrylic. Every piece is CNC cut before assembly. All seams are welded using a special PVC welding tool and isn't something commonly practiced here in the states because of the skill required to weld PVC. Unlike an acrylic sump, these will never deflect, craze, crack etc and will last indefinitely. They are really unlike no other sump. They also include custom lids that are CNC cut for the specific skimmers. The available options on these sumps are not found on any other sump that I have seen whether it's the lighting, wire management, controller mounts, integrated reactors with integrated manifolds, filter sock silencers etc. A custom sump of similar design made out of acrylic would cost nearly as much if not more. In fact, I spent more on my custom sumps than a Dreambox would have cost me but I also couldn't have fit a Dreambox below my system as my sumps needed to go in in two pieces to fit through the doors. If you compare costs on a similar custom sump, you might be surprised at how reasonable a Dreambox is and like I said, these aren't just an acrylic box. They are truly furniture grade and by far one of the nicest sumps in terms of quality, craftsmanship and design that I have ever seen. If you happen to be attending MACNA this year, swing by the Royal Exclusiv booth. We will have one there! trust me when I tell you, if you see one in person, I suspect your feelings might change. Then again these aren't for everybody. The people that buy Dreamboxes are the type of people that are taking a no expense approach to their display and equipment and are people who want the underside of their display to look as nice as the display itself. Many Dreambox customs display their sump instead of enclosing below the stand because they really are works of art and not "just a sump".

That said, how's your tank doing? I hope it's as beautiful as ever! You need to do an updated thread on your tank or at least post a current video! It is or at least was a sight to see!

Last edited by slief; 07/25/2016 at 01:16 PM.
Unread 07/25/2016, 03:33 PM   #33
vhuang168
Registered Member

Quote:

If you asking then you haven't taken a good close up look at 1. If you ask for a quote for custom acrylic version of a Dreambox, then you'll be in for sticker shock.

I backed out of a Dreambox because I couldn't bring myself to pay close to $1k for shipping. Went with a very nice production acrylic sump but by the time I added the skimmer n return, I'm close to the price for a decked out Dreambox.

When they are available in the US, I'll revisit getting myself 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2016, 05:27 PM   #34
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
My fees were around $100. I think the broker fee was $55 and then a $45 fee on pick up at freight place.
Did you not have to pay any import fees / customs? The broker wants a $260 fee, I will know of the final amount later today or tomorrow. Apparently, my dream box already landed, it's only been about 4-5 days since I paid the final invoice. That is extremely fast!

I just hope I am not stuck with any large fees. I will keep you all posted!

Unread 07/26/2016, 06:28 AM   #35
michaelrc51
Registered Member

What Sort of DreamBox Shipping Costs Are People Incurring?

Quote:
Did you not have to pay any import fees / customs? The broker wants a $260 fee, I will know of the final amount later today or tomorrow. Apparently, my dream box already landed, it's only been about 4-5 days since I paid the final invoice. That is extremely fast!

I just hope I am not stuck with any large fees. I will keep you all posted!

Nope. I think it was just the $55. I'll check my records but I am sure it was under $150 total for everything needed to pick it up.
I was skeptical as well but everything worked out well.

My biggest complaint was the storage fee of $50 a day and the fact that I had only 2 days to pick it up before that started.

Unread 07/26/2016, 06:34 AM   #36
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
If you asking then you haven't taken a good close up look at 1. If you ask for a quote for custom acrylic version of a Dreambox, then you'll be in for sticker shock.

I backed out of a Dreambox because I couldn't bring myself to pay close to $1k for shipping. Went with a very nice production acrylic sump but by the time I added the skimmer n return, I'm close to the price for a decked out Dreambox.

When they are available in the US, I'll revisit getting myself 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I found.
The cost seems astronomical at first but once you add in everything the cost of the actual sump is probably less than what a custom acrylic sump built here in the US would cost.
And then there is the fact that it is made of PVC and no chance of ever leaking. Also, after 10 years you clean it up and it will look like it did the day you got it. So, value won't drop on it, if you decide to sell it you won't sell it for much less than what you paid.
Oh yeah, they work flawlessly and you don't have to worry about anything......you plumb your tank to it and your basically done.

Unread 07/26/2016, 06:45 AM   #37
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Quote:

I'll post some pics up of mine.
They really are that well thought out.
Price all of your stuff out and get a quote for a sump, I will bet you will be at the same mark as a Dreambox. It is just sticker shock really but when you add up everything I bet you'll spend more if you have someone build a custom sump for you and add up the costs of everything.

Unread 07/26/2016, 02:16 PM   #38
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Nope. I think it was just the $55. I'll check my records but I am sure it was under $150 total for everything needed to pick it up.
I was skeptical as well but everything worked out well.
Word to the wise. Never, never, NEVER keep records in this game....... spouses find them.....

Unread 07/26/2016, 02:23 PM   #39
Kengar
Registered Member

Re the costs, I had gotten a quote from acrylic mfr in CA to have a sump built, but they just wanted to do one row of two, 7-inch socks. It was to be 4.5' long and maybe 20" wide. Cost, shipped, was to be $1750. Water input was to be at the end of the tank instead of the side as per DB; I wanted that changed to fit my arrangement better, but the acrylic co. was reluctant to do that. At that point, given that I was "in the neighborhood" pricewise already, I decided to look into DB, particularly with the enhanced level of mechanical filtration. (I work from home across from where the tank is to be set up, so will have frequent occasion to go into the fish room and clean the socks...... given all the other automation, this chore won't be so annoying.) With shipping to Dulles International Airport (which, given the answers on this thread, I suspect is one of the cheapest entry airport), I'm looking at only a few hundred more dollars for a DB, with its various other benefits. (And who knows, if Brexit sends the Euro down and with off-summer air freight costs, who knows, maybe I will get it for the same final cost in the long-run!)

Unread 07/26/2016, 04:47 PM   #40
michaelrc51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Word to the wise. Never, never, NEVER keep records in this game....... spouses find them.....
LOL

I didn't even tell her about the DB coming and threw it on her the day before we picked it up. I didn't tell her what I paid and honestly she didn't really want to know.
That final payment couldn't have come at a worst time, we went under contract for a new house the week before.

Unread 07/31/2016, 07:21 PM   #41
ArmanS
Registered Member

Just got my Dream Box, total custom fees and broker fees etc was under $500. It was a breeze picking up, they fork lifted onto my truck and RE packs this thing extremely well!

Well Worth The Wait! I have tons of very good quality pieces of equipment, the quality on the dream box is un matched and well worth the wait and cost! Can't wait to get it all running!

Unread 07/31/2016, 09:46 PM   #42
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Just got my Dream Box, total custom fees and broker fees etc was under $500. It was a breeze picking up, they fork lifted onto my truck and RE packs this thing extremely well!

Well Worth The Wait! I have tons of very good quality pieces of equipment, the quality on the dream box is un matched and well worth the wait and cost! Can't wait to get it all running!
*cough*

I'm very glad to hear that you received it and all is well. Can't wait to see it in action.

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 09:16 PM   #43
ArmanS
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefClownMIA View Post
*cough*

I'm very glad to hear that you received it and all is well. Can't wait to see it in action.
Here you go! It was shipped extremely well! I also received my 3 RD3 230w Pumps, BK SM 250 RD3, Controller Cockpit and more goodies! Exciting times in the future !!

Last edited by ArmanS; 08/01/2016 at 10:03 PM.
ArmanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 09:44 PM   #44
Marco@GHLUSA
Registered Member

NICE! That is a sweet looking box, begging to be installed, or better yet, be put on display somewhere!

Marco@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2016, 09:57 PM   #45
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco@GHLUSA View Post
NICE! That is a sweet looking box, begging to be installed, or better yet, be put on display somewhere!
I agree!!

VERY VERY nice!! I wish I could get one of these through the doors under my tank! I'd pony up if I could get it under there! My custom sumps cost me much more than a Dreambox would have and weren't nearly as nice.

Unread 08/01/2016, 10:09 PM   #46
ArmanS
Registered Member

Scott, I want to thank you, Torsten, and Sandra for the excellent support and communication throughout the entire process. I am beyond satisfied with the craftsmanship.

The dream box really must be seen in person to be appreciated, I think once more people see these they will pony up and purchase them. Also, the costs involved are not nearly as extreme as people make out. You should be able to get a 5' long dream box delivered to your local airport for ~$2500 USD. Mine was very large and has extras but I have got to say, the quality is unbelievable. I've had many acrylic sumps in the past, these PVC style sumps are the way to go. The cut outs for the lids etc look so great and it is so strong and sturdy and feels solid. I am completely satisfied with my dream box.

The only negative I have is that RE does not sell a Controller, CA Rx, Chiller, Aquarium, UV, Lights, and everything else on my tank because if they did I would buy it all!!!!!!

Unread 08/02/2016, 03:03 PM   #47
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:

I guess it wasn't THIS buffoon doing the fork lifting http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592041. Although he sure did "fork me" over with the damage done to my CTC tank. Trying to deal with UPS damage claim now, which has set me back in terms of time and potentially cash flow to place my DB order.

Unread 08/02/2016, 03:08 PM   #48
ArmanS
Registered Member

That sucks, the guy who loaded my pallet into my truck did an excellent job, he did not need the extensions, rather he lifted the pallet at an angle so it was resting against the fork lift and could not slide out.

I hope all goes well with your claim.

Unread 08/02/2016, 04:03 PM   #49
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
I guess it wasn't THIS buffoon doing the fork lifting http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2592041. Although he sure did "fork me" over with the damage done to my CTC tank. Trying to deal with UPS damage claim now, which has set me back in terms of time and potentially cash flow to place my DB order.
Damn. I saw your email and meant to respond. Seeing that thread is heartbreaking. Hopefully UPS Claims takes care of this expenditiously. It seems to me that the shipper should be the one dealing with the claim though. Since the tank arrived damaged, they should handle the logistics of that process for you and get a new tank in progress. It's something that would have to be requested on the shippers part since UPS would just assume deal with the recipient. Hopefully it was insured for full value.

Unread 08/03/2016, 01:08 PM   #50
Kengar
Registered Member

It's a tricky situation -- and one that would make an evil law school or bar exam question. (I just might have to send this in, bwah, hahahahaha.) I inspected fully and very carefully in minute detail, including getting into the tank on my hands and knees and looking at all seams, and I saw no problems. It was based on that inspection that I told them to load the trailer.

After he loaded the trailer, I re-inspected, but to much more limited extent, i.e., taking the crate lid back off and just looking to make sure the tank wasn't busted in half, not that stress and shock (due to dropping the end of the pallet) would have caused chipping, etc. So, based on the two inspections, the latter being much more cursory in nature, I signed off and left. It was only when I got home and removed the sidewalls of the crate that I discovered the damage. So here we are, caught in a non-standard situation........

Claims adjuster comes tomorrow......