Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2017, 07:57 AM   #26
cwschoon
Registered Member

And my brick-unseeded-has been in my sump since Feb 20 or so. I plan on testing water this Sunday. Nitrates should be high, as I have not done a water change on the newish tank yet and I do love to feed. I would expect that there has not been enough time for the anaerobic bacteria to culture up yet.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 04:20 PM   #27
cwschoon
Registered Member

Any updated on the Xport no3 brick? I have seen no positive results but I did not seed mine.

Unread 04/11/2017, 06:48 PM   #28
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoat2000 View Post
Marinepure's are made from aluminum and most likely so are brightwell bricks. Triton tests done by reasonable reefers that don't seem to have an axe to grind have shown elevated aluminum. There have also been reports of it affecting leathers immediately on introduction of unwashed marinepure.. but non-leather corals are unaffected.

What applies to marinepure probably applies to brightwell bricks but they do not list what the material is made form on their website.

marinepure's are probably leaching some form of aluminum into the water, the question is, is this form dangerous? I don't think it is dangerous based on all the good reports from those that use marinepure in reef aquariums. If I housed a lot of leathers, I would put marinepures under the sand or very low flow area and use them for denitrfication.

I have had 2 Marine pure 4x4x8 blocks in my tank for over a year and my Triton test did not show elevated aluminum.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 05:39 AM   #29
A sea K
Registered Member

Marine Pure 4x4x8 brick here as well. Put it in the system when I started it 7 months ago, no idea on aluminum leaching but the system is very healthy and shows -0- nitrate on my Red Sea kit. FWIW I use the block in a very low flow area of the sump. I'm currently trying to raise my nitrate some so I'm considering removing the MP brick to see what happens.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 09:48 AM   #30
cwschoon
Registered Member

I had mine in an area in my sump that has virtually no flow and moved it closer to my filter socks, where it should still get virtually no flow. Am questioning if that may be an issue but seeing as I did not seed and the brick has been in since the end of February, I should give it more time.

Unread 09/07/2018, 01:54 PM   #31
The Big Chill
Registered Member

I own 4 brightwell aquatic Xport NO3 bricks and 2 MarinePure blocks and 1 gallon of MarinePure spheres. 3 Brightwell Aquatics Xport NO3 bricks and 1 MarinePure block in my 120 Gallon/50 Gallon Sump and 1 NO3 brick/1 MarinePure block and 1/2 Gallon MarinePure Spheres in my 50 Gallon/20 Gallon Sump. My Nitrates consistently read between 0 - 3 ppm in both tanks. This stuff works. I was in the 30 to 60 ppm range before I added this media. And the good part is for the most part the media is self maintaining after being established with the right amount bacteria over time.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2018, 07:11 AM   #32
zachfishman
Registered Member

Anyone have Brightwell bricks that lasted? I tried some NO3 bricks in a FO system and they absolutely disintegrated within six months. Very disappointing.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2018, 06:23 PM   #33
cwschoon
Registered Member

I took mine out.….breaking up and making a mess.

Unread 09/14/2018, 12:46 PM   #34
The Big Chill
Registered Member

These bricks are amazing! I have a MarinePure Block and 2 Brightwell Aquatics Xport NO3 Dimpled Bricks in my 50G Sump/120G reef tank. Nitrates are 0 ppm all the time regardless of how much I feed my fish (25 corals - Soft, LPS and SPS, 8 fish - Yellow Tang, Hippo Tang, Diamond Goby, Fairy Wrasse, Lawnmower Blenny, 2 Clowns, Lemarks Angelfish). Phosphates usually test around .04 to .00 consistently. Corals doing great, fish are extremely healthy and happy. Highly recommend these medias!

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 10:18 AM   #35
cwschoon
Registered Member

How long have you had the Brightwell bricks in? The first two I put in totally disintegrated, resulting in a horrible mess. Brightwell stepped up and replaced them, as there had been a mistake in the production. I have subsequently removed the replacements, because they were looking a bit crumbly also and I never did see the “miraculous” nitrate reduction.
I used to be in the industry and the science is right but just a bit underwhelmed with the product. My lagging question, is that I placed the bricks in the return section of the sump and there may have been too much flow,
Reverting the proper cultivation of anaerobic bacteria.

Unread 09/15/2018, 10:36 AM   #36
albano
SALTWATER since '73

I think that Drs F&S had Brightwell bricks on clearance because they were discontinued

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2018, 10:50 AM   #37
Diana A
Registered Member

I have Marine Pure spheres in my system in a high flow area since March 2016. No or unnoticeable decrease in size. They are tightly fitted into a removable tray.

Unread 09/15/2018, 02:01 PM   #38
cwschoon
Registered Member

But if in a high flow area, no denitrification occurs and that's what I was hoping for.

Unread 10/10/2018, 07:10 AM   #39
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwschoon View Post
But if in a high flow area, no denitrification occurs and that's what I was hoping for.

My MP are located in a Fluval FX6 canister. I don't have a sump. I just started dosing NO3 because my tests show 0.

Unread 10/10/2018, 07:32 AM   #40
cwschoon
Registered Member

So, if your MP's are in your canister, I do not think any denitrification is occurring there, as there is too much flow.

Unread 10/10/2018, 08:09 AM   #41
Diana A
Registered Member

Well I don't think your statement is correct. MP are placed in a drawstring bag I made using thick felt. Then the bag goes into a container that is placed inside the canister. Also below and above the container has 4 inch thick foam blocks designed by the manufacturer to fill the space. Like I sad before, my NO4 is 0 (PO3 is .02) and I started last week dosing my tank lab grade KNO3 to get that number up.

Unread 10/10/2018, 09:33 AM   #42
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana A View Post
Well I don't think your statement is correct. MP are placed in a drawstring bag I made using thick felt. Then the bag goes into a container that is placed inside the canister. Also below and above the container has 4 inch thick foam blocks designed by the manufacturer to fill the space. Like I sad before, my NO4 is 0 (PO3 is .02) and I started last week dosing my tank lab grade KNO3 to get that number up.
Interesting. Do you think the configuration of the felt bag/container inside the canister causes low oxygen areas to form in the spheres so denitrification can occur, or do you believe the spheres are binding the nitrate? Could there be other things in your system that are removing nitrates also like rock (live or dry), sand beds, algae, or etc.? What test kits are you using? Did I miss how heavy your bioload is? What is controlling your phosphates?

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 09:42 AM   #43
cwschoon
Registered Member

You may be correct. All I am saying, is that if there is too much oxygen, denitrification will not occur. My assumption, is that is the case with the MP in your canister.

Unread 10/10/2018, 09:49 AM   #44
Diana A
Registered Member

I don't have the standard live reef rock. I have the man made Real Reef rock (2015), & bare bottom. I had a small amount of hair algae but that is gone from the 4 snails. 8 fishes and SPS dominate tank. I am more interested in coral than fish. Test kits are Hanna for PO3 and NO4. Red Sea for everything else.

Unread 10/10/2018, 10:11 PM   #45
cwschoon
Registered Member

If you have large pieces of rock, I would guess that's where the anaerobic bacteria reside.