Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Anemone straight up not having a good time

Two weeks ago I picked up an anemone from my LFS, I was told it is a long tentacle anemone but it looked very bubblish to me. It was in a PVC pipe and was very large looking. Anyway the anemone is blue with an orange foot and will do anything to be out of sight and in the dark, when in the dark the anemone is bend over in half, looking very sluggish and basically dead. I have pulled him out of the dark a couple times and it doesn't take very long for him to walk right back into the abyss. This has been a fight since I brought it home and at this point it just looks miserable.

My tank is a 32 gallon biocube
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2
Power-heads are off and out of the tank.
I even upgraded my light to the Steve's LEDs because I could tell right away the light wasn't enough, now I have this awesome light and anemone that could give 2 ####'s

Here are some pics, any ideas? I hate moving it, I know they go where they want but I feel like I'm watching a suicide

Scolyosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 05:00 PM   #2
bradleym
Registered Member

I don't see any pictures, but a blue anemone with an orange foot sounds like it may be dyed. If so, even the most perfect conditions may not save it. Please work on posting pictures before I get too carried away with my assumption though.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 05:08 PM   #3
Scolyosis
Registered Member

I am trying to figure out how.... hang on a sec

Unread 10/15/2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Trying from tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/15/2019, 05:32 PM   #5
bradleym
Registered Member

OK, so the good news is, it's not dyed. Glad you posted pictures.

Can you tell us a bit more about your tank? What is your alkalinity? How long has the tank been set up?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 92g corner round. No sand, lots of mushrooms.
bradleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 05:45 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Better pictures would be needed for a definitive ID, but this is for sure not an LTA (Macrodactyla doreensis). Most likely it is a very unhappy BTA.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 05:59 PM   #7
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Tank has been up for about 5 months, I am not sure on the alk, I do not have the test on hand. I have fed the anenome twice it just seems to hate the light. There are 2 clowns and a fire fish, a few misc corals.

Unread 10/15/2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Scolyosis
Registered Member

On the move again?

Unread 10/15/2019, 07:11 PM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Nems get really PO when you move them. He will move on his own to a place he likes, you have no control if this.
In 5 months, usually water is not stable enough for this creature, but be patient, forget the feeding, once a month at most is quite sufficient.

I really don't know where this feed multiply times comes from, in fact, this can be detrimental to the nems Heath.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 07:36 PM   #10
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Thanks for the timely responses. Here are some parameters I ran to the store quick so I could test alk

Unread 10/16/2019, 03:29 PM   #11
Scolyosis
Registered Member

First day with dimmer lighting, not convincing. Figured I'll keep this updated, good or bad

Unread 10/16/2019, 07:56 PM   #12
Scolyosis
Registered Member

A step in the right direction

Unread 10/16/2019, 09:06 PM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

How did the anemone look like at the store? Were the tentacles longer or short as now?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 10/16/2019, 09:30 PM   #14
Scolyosis
Registered Member

The tentacles in the store were definitely longer and more of a bubble shape, like more full looking. The anemone was in a 6" tall PVC pipe and it was stretched out with tentacles sticking out of the top

Unread 10/16/2019, 10:59 PM   #15
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it's a BTA.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/17/2019, 06:06 AM   #16
Scolyosis
Registered Member

I'm hoping it is it looked beautiful in the shop hopefully it'll pull through. It was looking much larger this morning in the dark. I will post a follow up Pic when I'm out of work this afternoon

Unread 10/17/2019, 02:34 PM   #17
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Great... At what point do I remove this thing if it's a ticking time bomb?

Unread 10/17/2019, 03:10 PM   #18
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Just sprayed it off with a turkey baster got some mucus off, the mouth is tightly closed

Unread 10/17/2019, 07:11 PM   #19
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Playing with my emotions

Unread 10/19/2019, 07:06 PM   #20
NYCBOB
Registered Member

Just leave it alone.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 09:30 PM   #21
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBOB View Post
Just leave it alone.
Yes! Above! +1

Just run your tank as normal and he will find a spot.
They like to find their own spot. Mine sits in a corner, on a flow, been there years now. Once in a while he moves a few inches, then returns to the same spot.

Or

He will start to "come apart" then OK to discard.

Make sure your SW numbers are on point and remain stable.
Make lots of light available.
Don't change flow pattern or direction.

Unread 10/20/2019, 11:31 AM   #22
Scolyosis
Registered Member

I think it's looking better, it has moved to a lower part of the tank, I have my light intensity turned way way down. (0350/4095). The anenome opens up to a decent size (about half of what it was in the store) but only during the sunset, sunrise and nighttime modes, during the day it curls completely up into a ball or looks like it's melting.

Unread 10/23/2019, 10:46 PM   #23
Scolyosis
Registered Member

Not out of the woods yet but I am seeing some good progress.

Since I last posted the nem detached from the wall and fell to the bottom under all of my live rock, no way it was getting out. I ended up ripping my tank apart and moving him by blowing it w a turkey baster. Finally got it to a good spot out of flow and lower from the light. I surrounded it with some smaller rocks I had in the tank and it looked beyond dead, I would spray it with a turkey baster and the mouth would flop open like a plastic bag. The next morning it was 4 times the size but still looked awful.
I turned down my lights even further and its looking better everyday. Today the nem opened up around mid-day and spread way out but the tentacle still look really short. I tried feeding a very small piece of shrimp and it wasn't the least bit interested, it stayed open and out in front.

I think the light intensity really harmed the nem at first and acclimating with very low light would have helped a lot in the beginning. I am also finding that the small puffs of the turkey baster once and awhile helps the nem clear its mouth and it responds very well when its looking sluggish

Unread 10/26/2019, 08:58 PM   #24
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

The good thing about Nems is that you can not give them too much light or flow as they will just move to the spot which they like. If you have any other photosynthetic livestock, what's happens to them?

Moving, touching is not recommended . If the foot gets damaged, this can be fatal.

He must attach securely on his own, and then, never touched again. Once he has found his spot, if you don't change anything, he will likely stay put. Mine moved once in the first six months, and has not moved in 4 years.

I would stop the feeding. Once a month, a squirt of Mysis is more than enough, we want it to get its nutrition from light.