Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2016, 03:16 PM   #1
GlassReef
Got Reef

Continuous water change - trace elements

I plan to start up my 450 gal (all tanks) SPS and fish system again, using ESV salt. I will be doing a continuous water change of 5 gallons per day utilizing MasterFlex pumps.

What are your opinions? Should the continuous water change cover trace element replacement sufficiently to render additional trace dosing unnecessary?

Of course, ALK, CAL, and MAG would be dosed as normal.

Thanks for your input.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.
GlassReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 03:37 PM   #2
TheFishGuy31
Registered Member

Continuous water change - trace elements

I would consider dosing trace elements. My thinking is that if the salt mix isn't maintaining the Ca/Alk levels it's likely not maintaining the trace elements either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFishGuy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2016, 04:52 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I doubt that dosing trace elements ever is necessary if the tank gets a minimal water change schedule. In fact, one problem with dosing such mixes is that many of the elements might already be in oversupply in the tank. There's a lot of reading on this topic, if you want some links.

Unread 06/29/2016, 05:48 PM   #4
GlassReef
Got Reef

TheFishGuy31 - thanks for your input. There is logic in your statement. I just really hate to dose something that I can't test for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I doubt that dosing trace elements ever is necessary if the tank gets a minimal water change schedule. In fact, one problem with dosing such mixes is that many of the elements might already be in oversupply in the tank. There's a lot of reading on this topic, if you want some links.
I agree, completely. My interest is in covering TEs with the continual water change and whether this is considered to be a reasonable solution to the TE maintenance problem. I have always felt uncomfortable about the levels in my tanks. Looking for a way to ease my mind, I guess.

I did some searches but, didn't find much. Guess I'm looking in the wrong places. A couple of links would be appreciated.

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:08 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

These are places to start for background information on trace elements:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/aafeature
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/9/aafeature

There are a lot of threads in this forum that discuss supplementation.

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:09 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Forgot this one:

http://web.archive.org/web/200107200...data/foods.asp

Unread 06/29/2016, 06:30 PM   #7
GlassReef
Got Reef

Thanks - great stuff. Plenty to read.

I think, though, that maybe I've stated my question badly. I my post isn't about whether I should or shouldn't dose trace elements. I was trying to gather thoughts and opinions on whether a continuous water change (24/7) could be regarded as a reasonable solution to the TE dosing problem. Should have made myself more clear.

Last edited by GlassReef; 06/29/2016 at 06:40 PM.
Unread 06/29/2016, 06:41 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

Water changes seem fine as a way to control trace elements in our system. I wouldn't worry about the issue.

Unread 06/30/2016, 04:01 AM   #9
TheFishGuy31
Registered Member

I always thought dosing TEs was stupid until I was talking to someone in my local club about pale corals and they recommend I dose TEs. It's definitely helped with coloration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFishGuy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 09:26 AM   #10
bmullikin1
Registered Member

Hey Tom, glad to see your still reefing, did you ever get rid of the Dino problem

bmullikin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 11:07 AM   #11
GlassReef
Got Reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmullikin1 View Post
Hey Tom, glad to see your still reefing, did you ever get rid of the Dino problem
Hi Sam - no I never did. I got pretty sick back in early 2011, so I just let it go. I'm finally back on my feet, getting everything set up again. Lot's of work but, of course, lot's of fun too. I'm in the middle of an LED build using 10X Lumia 5.2s. Hope it works out. I hope all is well with you.

So, what do you think about my question? Is a 24/7 water change gonna do it for trace elements?

Unread 06/30/2016, 02:11 PM   #12
bmullikin1
Registered Member

all is well, tanks doing great after a few upgrade hiccups, i would think you should be fine w just doing the continuous water changes w a good salt mix like esv, that could change over time when the colonies get bigger, but you always seemed pretty regimented and would test for whats being dosed and notice a lack of any said trace element, and could always do the triton testing, to see whats going on. I've been going the no water change craze for a while, being bb and cleaning freak, has worked out well, ive been using fauna marine trace elements that are mixed w 2 part, using half the dosage, and then dosing mag seperate, everything has responded well. hope all the health issues are resolved, your tank and dyi skills were always appreicated and have been missed. take care Sam

bmullikin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 02:54 PM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassReef View Post
TheFishGuy31 - thanks for your input. There is logic in your statement. I just really hate to dose something that I can't test for.

I agree, completely. My interest is in covering TEs with the continual water change and whether this is considered to be a reasonable solution to the TE maintenance problem. I have always felt uncomfortable about the levels in my tanks. Looking for a way to ease my mind, I guess.

I did some searches but, didn't find much. Guess I'm looking in the wrong places. A couple of links would be appreciated.
Actually there is little logic in his statement. Every salt mix (brand) has different levels of Alk, Ca and MAG. Here is a basic guide to what each has:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

Every tank is going to have a different mix and amount of corals. Tanks with SPS are going to demand much more Alk and Ca than a tank of softies. The amount dosed is dependent entirely on the uptake of those elements bu the corals.

The only TE I have considered dosing are iodine and potassium, both of which I purchased test kits for - if you don't test for it do NOT dose it, is a good rule of thumb. My test kits for the Iodine and Potassium have never indicated a shortage of those elements so I have never dosed any.

Repeat, if you don't test for it don not dose it. If the test shows not need do not add it.

Do things natures way. For example if you have a lot of SPS and/or LPS you might consider Amino Acids but if you have enough fish and feed properly you do not need to dose those either.

But, when I started - 20 years ago - heck, I dosed toooo many things.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote