Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2007, 10:12 PM   #1
rickyfins
Registered Member

NCPARS School Tank

Dan, I was wondering what progress you have made on the school tank project you and I discussed earlier this week?

I wante to get members involved with donations as soon as possible.

Lets use this forum for our discussion on this topic. I know we discussed doing 2 tanks per year before and I would like to stick with that if possible.

If anyone is interested in helping Dan or donating equipment, helping with setup, or anything let us know as Dan can use the help.

For those of you already involved with school tanks, let us know what we can do to help. If you need supplies, new equipment, livestock, corals, anything just let us know and we will be sure to do our best to get it to you or finding you a source.

thanks,

Rick Pucciarella
NCPARS, INC. President

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS

Yea, I can grow that. Have some water? It's just SCIENCE!!

Offical NCPARS "Nazi Thread Ender"

Current Tank Info: None at the moment.
rickyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2007, 10:03 AM   #2
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

rick,i have not done anything as of yet,aside from the thought process,and discussion we had.i think the next step should be to call some schools to see if any in my area are interested.i can donate some livestosk and i have some used equiptment that can be used.if any one is a teacher or anyone with some ties to schools in my area can point me in the right direction,i would appreciate it.i think the tank needs to be new,to avoid any leaks or failures.i also think it needs to be at least 55 gallon.donations for some of the other stuff,as even used items,should be fine as long as equiptment is in good working order.i would love to make this happen,but i will not kid anyone.i can not do it alone.so anyone with anything positive to add,please contact ricky or i and lets get it done.thanks Dan

TOTM December 2010
Coral Magazine Sept/Oct 2012

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2007, 04:14 PM   #3
cccapt
Registered Member

Dan, if you can give me some details as what you guys want to do, I may be able to give you some contacts.

Current Tank Info: 125 reef
cccapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2007, 09:32 AM   #4
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

what we want to do is set up a reef tank in one of the local schools with NCPARS buying a tank and some equiptment,and getting donations for live stock and some used,good working condition equiptment,with the goal of teaching conservation,and the process of keeping sea life alive,along with some education on what it takes to propagate corals.thanks Dan

TOTM December 2010

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
Unread 11/07/2007, 05:01 PM   #5
cccapt
Registered Member

Dan, give me a call on my cell so I get get more details. Sent you a PM.

Larry

Current Tank Info: 125 reef
cccapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2007, 09:11 AM   #6
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

still looking for ideas and volunteers to make this happen.anyone with ties to local schools that can help would be appreciated.thanks Dan

TOTM December 2010

Unread 11/24/2007, 01:24 PM   #7
CarlC
Premium Member

Mary and I are just waiting to hear back from the teacher responsible for the Blue Mountain tank. Once we hear from her we'll have a better idea of what will be needed.

Carl

CarlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2007, 02:03 PM   #8
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

thanks carl

TOTM December 2010

Unread 12/08/2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Mal3
Moved On

I have tried to get into two of our local high schools in my area for NCPARS in the past. I found it difficult because the people at the top are not too interested. They are dealing with much bigger issues. When you go from the teacher level, they do not have the authority. You have to get to the right people. That is the biggest part of the battle in this. You may have better luck at the junior high level.

When you do get in somewhere, we should contact the manufacturers to try to get a tank and equipment donated. They will want the advertising from it for their company! If they will not donate the tank, they will sell it at a deep discount. We need to promote and explain that doing this will expand the hobby by giving children the information, knowledge, and desire to get into reefing. This means more $ for the manufacturer down the road by growing the hobby.

Let me know if you need some help with that end of it once you need equipment.

Mal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2007, 11:40 AM   #10
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

i hear you mal,my prroblem is getting a school to say ok.i may try calling the ones in my area to see if i can get a bite.i was hoping a teacher or school official would see this thread and give it a push in the right direction.it would be very fulfilling to set a reef up and watch our corals grow along with the students knowledge.thanks Dan

TOTM December 2010

Unread 12/08/2007, 01:16 PM   #11
lflint
Registered Member

Dan and all,

My wife and I teach at Williamsport Area High School in Williamsport, PA. We started a 125 gallon reef this summer and stocked it with rock, fish and coral from our collection at home. The school has provided us some consumable materials (bulbs, food, etc.) and paid for the cost of PVC and wood for plumbing and the stand. They also provide electricity and we have a few large stills to make water. We also have a large chemical stockroom and testing equipment on hand already.

Other than that we just run everything from our own donations of coral and from club donations from the last swap (I had about a half dozen corals donated). We have a few thousand invested in our own money. The tank and equipment belong to us along with all live rock and livestock. We also put in about an hour a day on average on maintaining our 9 freshwater tanks and 125 gallon reef.

You are absolutely correct that it would be difficult for our club to get into a school to do such a thing without some inside access like my wife and I have.

Bloomsburg High School is also getting a tank together, aren't they?

We'd love to start a good propagation program but we're barely able to maintain what we've got. The skimmers are having trouble keeping up and our lighting isn't very bright. We'd like to have a better skimmer, a calcium reactor and switch to MH lights. We'd also like to do some good SPS and LPS propagation.

We have lots more space and display window area for more tanks and equipment.

-Larry Flint

lflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2007, 04:39 PM   #12
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

hi larry,are you suggesting ncpars add a set up to the school you are affiliated with,if so that is interesting and worth some thought.thanks Dan

TOTM December 2010

Unread 12/08/2007, 11:56 PM   #13
rickyfins
Registered Member

I agree Dan.

Larry, we need to see if the school would allow a prop system that could be used for education and for the club. The club would be able to supply some things or most of the things for this project, in return we only ask that we can use some of the propagated corals for raffles, giveaways, membership drives, and etc. This in turn would give the school a source for their drygoods and other misc. items they need to run both the tank and the prop system.

I am willing to work with you, Dan, and the School on a positive solution that benefits all!

I look forward to hearing from you.

I will have Don(VP of Marketing) check on donations for school projects and see if we can't get you some things you need.

If you give me a list of things/brands you are looking for we can check with sponsors to see if they are interested.

Email me the list of lighting requirements, skimmer needs, and anything else and we will get right on it!

Here is my email. rickyfins@hotmail.com

If you need to call to explain anything I can give you my number if you don't already have it!

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

Unread 12/09/2007, 02:49 PM   #14
chuckydaphish
Registered Member

Hey when you guys get this going let me know always willing to help out. I will donate some frags

chuckydaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2007, 03:00 PM   #15
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

thanks chuck,its appreciated

TOTM December 2010

Unread 12/10/2007, 05:38 PM   #16
NCNBilly
Black thumb reefer

I have 75 gallon stand (48x18) that I'll donate.

NCNBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2007, 11:39 PM   #17
rickyfins
Registered Member

Hey thats great, I am sure that Larry and his wife as well as the school will love you for it! Great work so far! Keep it up guys!

Rick

Unread 12/13/2007, 02:54 PM   #18
chuckydaphish
Registered Member

No problem

chuckydaphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2007, 07:21 AM   #19
nate4546
Registered Member

Larry I have a few baby clowns I'll donate

Current Tank Info: 120g
nate4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2008, 07:19 PM   #20
Fish&Corgis
Premium Member

I know I am a little far south but I work for an architectural firm and we just completed the design for the Chambersburg Area Senior High School and they are looking at putting in a major tank in their lobby. The principal has some experience, but they could greatly benefit from this type of arrangement.

Fish&Corgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2008, 11:29 AM   #21
rickyfins
Registered Member

I am sure we can work on it with the school. Have them contact me via phone or email.

rickyfins@hotmail.com

814-312-4489

we can consult and see what exactly their intentions are and how serious they are about learning what it takes. I am looking forward to the call or email.

Keep it up guys!

Rick

Unread 01/31/2008, 10:32 AM   #22
Murph72
Registered Member

Sorry it took me awhile to see this thread. It has been very busy here at Bloomsburg HS. We are under renovations..which means I was without an actual classroom while they remodeled mine for the past couple of months. I just moved back in today.

Due to the renovations, it was difficult getting our maintenance men to take the time to set up our RO/DI system. We have now installed our tank and we have our saltwater mixing in it right now. Our next step is to go down to Something Fishy to pick up our liverock.

Our school has purchased all the equipment for the tank. We did get some coral donations at the last swap. However, if anyone would be willing to make donations that I could pick up at the PSU swap, that would be great. I have some stuff from my own tank to add once the school tank has cycled, but it will seem like a drop in the bucket of this 120g tank.

The kids in my class thought it was so exciting when the tank got cloudy from mixing the salt....I can't imagine when we actually have some stock in the tank. I have an idea the Biology room will be the most popular room in the school.

Thanks for any help you can give to the project. I will be sure to post pics once it looks like something other than an empty tank.
Dyan

Murph72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2008, 09:09 AM   #23
Sanjay
Premium Member

Dyan:

I'll be happy to donate corals from my tanks.

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2008, 10:00 AM   #24
Murph72
Registered Member

Thanks Sanjay!

I told Jim, the Biology teacher who has taken on this project, that I was going to ask for donations for the tank and he looked dumbfounded. He said, "You mean people would actually give pieces of their corals for our tank?" I can't wait for him to get into the hobby and start meeting all the nice people that we have.

Dyan

Murph72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2008, 05:00 PM   #25
bob124578
Registered Member

I would love to make a donation to this tank!

bob124578 is offline   Reply With Quote