Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2008, 05:16 PM   #26
Murph72
Registered Member

Wow! Great! Thanks!

I'm not sure how Williamsport or any of the other schools have handled it in the past, but I'd like to keep a record of who has donated what to the tank. For one thing, the kids can send thank you cards (as the Student Council advisor in my school I'm a big one for the kids showing their gratitude). For another, I'd think this could be used as a tax write off for some people.
Ricky, your thoughts?

Murph72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2008, 05:27 PM   #27
Sanjay
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Murph72
Thanks Sanjay!

I told Jim, the Biology teacher who has taken on this project, that I was going to ask for donations for the tank and he looked dumbfounded. He said, "You mean people would actually give pieces of their corals for our tank?" I can't wait for him to get into the hobby and start meeting all the nice people that we have.

Dyan
Make sure you bring him to the frag swap.

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2008, 05:48 PM   #28
Murph72
Registered Member

I will certainly try, but Saturdays are hard for him. His wife is a crafter and she goes to shows on the weekends. It is his job to take her crafts and supplies and set up her stand for her at all these events.
Not that his wife runs the show or anything.
Wives don't usually do that, right? Btw, I've already informed Tim that he has to clear his calendar for the date of the swap...does that demostrate the wives running the show?

Unread 02/11/2008, 12:16 PM   #29
rickyfins
Registered Member

Dyan, I will try to round up some things for you and bring them to the swap! I hope this will help out a bit.

We will do a donations drive at the swap again for your school and others if we have more interest.

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS

Yea, I can grow that. Have some water? It's just SCIENCE!!

Offical NCPARS "Nazi Thread Ender"

Current Tank Info: None at the moment.
rickyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2008, 03:13 PM   #30
Murph72
Registered Member

Ricky,
That would be great.
Jim (the Science teacher whose tank this is) and I are hoping to make a trip on Friday to get the liverock and sand for the tank to start getting some life in there. It will be ready to get livestock then from the swap. We're definitely excited to finally get the tank started. I'll definitely be posting pics of the progress for all those that want to see where their donations are going.
Dyan

Unread 02/11/2008, 10:28 PM   #31
rickyfins
Registered Member

PM sent. Oh and I also have sand that I am not using if you need some.

Rick

Unread 02/24/2008, 10:55 PM   #32
rickyfins
Registered Member

Anyone want to start committing to a donation to either Lflint or Murph72 school project prior to the swap?

They can really use your help. We are looking for anything they can use! We will also be holding a donations drive at the swap for the two schools we are currently supporting.

Rick

Unread 02/25/2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Murph72
Registered Member

Update: Bloomsburg High School's tank got liverock, live sand, and two clowns on Thursday
We're starting to see some progress!
It should be more than ready for any donations of coral that we receive at the swap.

Unread 02/25/2008, 11:10 AM   #34
Sanjay
Premium Member

I would like to make some room in my tanks before the swap, and have some large peices of leathers that I would like to give to the schools if they are interested.

Can anyone pick them up before the swap. ? In the next month or so ?

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2008, 12:55 PM   #35
Murph72
Registered Member

Sanjay,
I will talk to my faculty and see if anyone will be able to pick them up for us. Anything large would be great as we have nothing right now. I'll let you know ASAP if I can line anyone up for this.
Thanks for the offer.
Dyan

Unread 06/20/2008, 02:06 PM   #36
Scrandrew
Registered Member

My name is Andy and my wife is a biology teacher at Scranton High School. I would be interested in doing something. Please respond. My home number is (570) 842-3870.

A~

Scrandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2008, 07:36 PM   #37
Barney121
Premium Member

Hi Andy. I couldn't tell from your post if you were thinking of just helping/donating to one of the existing 3 tanks, or thinking of starting your own school project. Why don't you take a look at our main website, ncpars.org, there is a section of info on the 3 current school projects there, and a document on what kind of the support ncpars hopes to offer. If you are thinking of starting a new project, with some planning you could probably get donations of almost all the equipment needed to start a project. The commitment from the school is sometimes the hardest thing to get.

I'm about to leave town for about 2 weeks, but send me a message and I'll be happy to chat more when I'm back.

Scott Bennett
NCPARS President (as of July 1)

Barney121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2008, 01:04 PM   #38
Barney121
Premium Member

Hi everyone. At the main NCPARS website, ncpars.org, there are now separate pages for the 3 school projects being supported by club members. Take a look, there is some basic info about each setup there, and there are pictures up for one of them. [Pictures on Dyan's Williamsport project will be up as soon as Rick can get them up, and some updated info on Carl and Mary's will be up too.]

Unread 09/17/2008, 09:48 AM   #39
schoolreefer
Moved On

I'm pretty upset.. I sent an email to Scott Bennett. Hoping to hear back asap on this situation.

schoolreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 10:39 AM   #40
Barney121
Premium Member

Not sure what the question is here... we'll be posting about support for a possible new tank project soon.

Unread 09/17/2008, 11:56 AM   #41
schoolreefer
Moved On

problem solved

schoolreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2009, 06:44 PM   #42
GL
Premium Member

Anything going on with school tanks.

I know of a 24g cube, currently up and running and 100% complete.

They will donate.

PM me if you want info.

Current Tank Info: 90 AGA, 30 gal sump, 6 x 54w T5, ER cs8-1
GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2009, 08:53 PM   #43
Ricunger
Registered Member

Awesome! Some school will have a killer nano to start with im sure you will get a pm soon.

Ricunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 04:05 PM   #44
Brent6b
Registered Member

Stop in to the store Beyond the reef, and ask for Brent, I have lots of used stuff sitting in the back, and would love to donate some corals. Or call 784-7333

Brent6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 06:47 PM   #45
Murph72
Registered Member

Brent,
As you are located within my school district, I just might do that.
I teach at Bloomsburg High School and help with the tank that is currently in Biology teacher Jim Perry's classroom. We have a 120 set up. You can see pictures of it on the NCPARS website.

I just saw where you were located this past weekend on my way to Shamokin Dam. I knew what road you were on but was never able to find the store from the road while driving. My husband pointed it out to me. Unfortunately we didn't have time to stop in that day, but we hope to in the near future.

Good luck on your new endeavor. You just might want to put a sign up by the entrance off of Rte. 11 for those visually impaired customers such as me. I passed by there at least six times since learning there was a store somewhere in that area and still needed assistance to see it.

Unread 04/13/2009, 09:07 PM   #46
Ricunger
Registered Member

Do we have any updated pictures from the school tanks? I would love to see them.

Ricunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2009, 07:15 PM   #47
disturbed
Moved On

i have some used eqiupment for the school project.if interest please pm me.tHANKS

disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2009, 12:06 PM   #48
buza24
Registered Member

Mid Valley School Tank

I'm a biology teacher and I run a tank at Mid Valley High School, in Throop ( near Scranton). I was able to get a pretty good setup donated to us by a local person. We have a 120 gal glass tank, about 150 lbs rock, Hamilton MH lighting fixture. Remora pro skimmer, refugium, etc. I currently run an eheim canister filter but am looking to get a sump going this summer. Our school agreed to budget about 500 dollars for the sump, but i could use some help choosing the equipment and advice on setting it up. We also could use some livestock donations if anyone is willing. A few people (including regalauto) donated some coral frags at the thatfishplace swap, thanks again and most of it is doing well. The tank was donated already setup and had a bit of a cyano problem since then. I have never been able to totally fix it. We have a spectra pure RODI system and i was doing weekly water changes. I've fallen a little behind lately, my wife an I just had our first child a few weeks ago. I could use some help cleaning up the cyano and getting some coral going if anyone is interested. I will be off for the summer next week and plan on working on the tank this summer.

buza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2009, 12:28 PM   #49
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

I can donate some corals when you are ready.i have some giant feathery anethelia and some other soft corals i will give you.Todd over at something fishy had a used sump sitting outside his place today and it would suffice for your tank.I dont know how much he was asking but i am sure it will be less then i can build you one for.wish i had time to physically to help out but my plate is full and over flowing at the moment,but i can give you direction if needed

TOTM December 2010
Coral Magazine Sept/Oct 2012

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2009, 02:39 PM   #50
buza24
Registered Member

Thanks for the coral offer. I will let you know when we're ready. And it would be great if i could bounce some ideas off you when I'm putting the sump together.

buza24 is offline   Reply With Quote