Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2010, 10:40 AM   #51
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeckett25 View Post
What happend here ??? Everyone sounded so in to this and then it just died ? come on guys lets make this work. We need more people ! I don't have much I can offer right now but I have offered now lets see what you can come up with...

Unfortunately this is the same road block I have encountered for the last several years.We have attempted this before as you guys know along with some really attractive member benefits such as a trip to Atlantis aquarium,with the members getting a nice discount and really only got a few interested parties in most instances.I believe for something like this to work it needs to be promoted heavily for months or longer .Same scenario with the swaps prior to me jumping on board.The turn out and attendance was sparse at best.I start promoting these swaps 4 to 6 months prior to the event to generate enough interest to draw a crowd.I believe the PIF program is a great thing for the society and members but to bring it to realization some promotional work may be needed.A thought that may help is to invite a couple local clubs to join the program.possibly,NJRC,Upstate NY,etc.. if they do not have a program started of there own.

TOTM December 2010
Coral Magazine Sept/Oct 2012

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 10:55 AM   #52
jbeckett25
Jerry

Dan, I do agree with the need to promote this more. Just need to think of how.

Current Tank Info: 220 AGA reef system
jbeckett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 02:36 PM   #53
Fizz71
FragSwapper

IMO I'd do 2 mass emails...one asking for starters, then a second one in a week or so announcing the starters that are available. It just needs to get rolling...it's an excellent idea.

Fizz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 05:55 PM   #54
jbeckett25
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz71 View Post
IMO I'd do 2 mass emails...one asking for starters, then a second one in a week or so announcing the starters that are available. It just needs to get rolling...it's an excellent idea.
it could not hurt. I'm sure not everyone in the club knows of this post and hardly anyone goes to the clubs site.

Unread 11/10/2010, 11:43 AM   #55
tnyr5
Registered Member

Sorry I've been absent guys, getting my tonsils out in about 3 weeks and I have a lot to think about. I'm not sure why this is fizzling since the members of the club stand to gain quite a bit here. My advice to everyone would be not to be intimidated, you don't really have anything to lose. If you get a coral and it dies or doesn't grow I promise we're not going to lynch you lol.

Current Tank Info: 20in cube
tnyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 11:45 AM   #56
tnyr5
Registered Member

If nobody minds that i can't pay dues till january (I don't carry credit cards or use paypal). I have three frags of the pre-hurricane ora tort ready to go right now. I'll get Al to list it on the ncpars site.

Unread 11/10/2010, 03:52 PM   #57
jwalker314
Registered Member

whats the next step? I'm still in.

jwalker314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 05:15 PM   #58
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Ok I'll add it Tony

PerezAF01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2010, 05:29 PM   #59
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Next step?
If you see anything you would like all you have to do is request it from the grower and once the grower agrees to give you the frag just let me know so that I can update the file. Same thing happens if someone requests a frag you have offered.

Its been quiet but its still up and running as promised. Hopefully we will see more activity soon.

Al

Unread 11/10/2010, 05:32 PM   #60
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Here is the webpage.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...uthkey=CJDj410

Unread 11/15/2010, 09:29 AM   #61
jbeckett25
Jerry

Ok guys Tony and I have broke the Ice. I picked up a tort from him yesterday. So now you all know this is real, Can not post a pick because I don't have a working camera. But it is a nice frag about 1 1/4" looks just like a Cali Tort to me with out the green. It will be quite awhile be for I will be able to offer any frags of it. But once they grew out I will be returning to favor to someone else. So lets get on board here. I know there are a lot of really great tanks out there and this is a opportunity to help some fellow reefers and the oceans. I have herd lots of people say they think this is a good Idea but see very few doing anything to make this work. I know there has been a few people who have extended offers of coral to get this rolling. And would like to thank you for this. Al has done a wonderful job at setting up the spread sheet and is willing to do the work. Tony and I have set an example. This is a good Idea, And can work but we need for more involvement.

Unread 11/15/2010, 10:12 PM   #62
tnyr5
Registered Member

plenty more to go around guys lol

Unread 11/19/2010, 08:09 AM   #63
Fizz71
FragSwapper

My yellow acro is available if anybody interested I just haven't gotten my act together yet. I tryed opening that file but didn't see a way to edit/save. I was never given an official "name" of it, it's just a supper bright yellow/green acro. The photo is someplace on my PC...I have too much going on to even mention right now, but anybody that wants to come to me for a piece of it, I can get atleast 2 at this point...maybe a 3rd.

Unread 11/19/2010, 08:11 AM   #64
PerezAF01
Registered Member

I'll add it fizz. Thank you for your donation.
Al

Unread 12/05/2010, 10:34 AM   #65
tnyr5
Registered Member

Soooooo is there some good reason why the same people who buy corals from each other won't take them for free? lmao

Unread 12/05/2010, 02:59 PM   #66
jwalker314
Registered Member

im down with free frags, i just dont think i have anythng too "desireable" to add to the up for grabs list. I'd much rather wait until I have some good stuff handed out before i start taking some frags. I have plenty of zoo frags and other softies (around 70 frags ready to go) if anyone was interested in those types i can post a list of what I have available. I just assumed nobody would be interested in those types. Let me know what you guys think.

jwalker314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2010, 10:58 PM   #67
ParanoidObseshn
Registered Member

I would be on board with this too as it is a really good idea! I just cant right now because I am not currently a paid member of ncpars, and as I am recently graduated and still unemployed it might be a little bit until I can contribute to this as a paying member.

ParanoidObseshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2010, 07:53 AM   #68
Fizz71
FragSwapper

My zoa production has been sub par. I don't know why they don't like my tank. I know I have alk and calc issues that are causing some SPS RTN here and there, but the zoas seem to take more offense to it than the SPSs. I won't take a pay it forward coral until I know I'm stable and will be able to GROW it. I need to get my CA back on-line..with a pH monitor this time.

Unread 12/06/2010, 11:35 AM   #69
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Well I am sure things will pick up eventually. Even though there is a lack of activity, the program is still up and running and I am still accepting donations to the program. Until then I'll continue to wait patiently and keep the spreadsheet up to date.

Unread 12/06/2010, 11:52 AM   #70
rigleautomotive
Premium Member

This will take years to develope.Do not get discouraged,you guys did the hard part already and got it going.Building on this and keeping the topic fresh will help.I for one will be donating corals(bling!!!) also but I am not ready either.Good work Al,Tony and others involved.Its another positive for the club and coral conservation so its a win/win

TOTM December 2010
Coral Magazine Sept/Oct 2012

Current Tank Info: 180 gal SPS dominated display, 3 X 250 watt Radiums , lumenarc III minis , with VHO actinics, ETS downdraft skimmers, closed loops and 2 Tunze 6105 & 7095 controller,DIY calcium reactors DIY custom built sumps,since 1992
rigleautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 12:37 AM   #71
tat2shawn
Registered Member

I know this thread is almost two months old but, I am Going to bring this to the top again because it's a great idea.
I'm not always very active on the boards but I do try to make it to all swaps. I will be emailing al and letting him know I am interested in participating and which coral I will be offering up. when I decide I will post a pic in this thread.
Good luck to all who are going to join in on the fun and grow some corals to give and receive.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon ocqanic tech tank and a 55
tat2shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2011, 10:38 AM   #72
JonK
Registered Member

I have sympodium I can add to the list. It may take another month to get a frag off of it though.

JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2011, 12:02 AM   #73
tnyr5
Registered Member

Sweet Jon! Al, add my aussie hulk table to the list. Sanjay told me at the swap a few days ago that his frag has grown into one of the nicest acros in his tank.

Unread 02/01/2011, 08:21 AM   #74
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Okay. Thanks

Adding sympodium to soft coral and Aussie Hulk Table to acro

Available corals:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...uthkey=CJDj410

Last edited by PerezAF01; 02/01/2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Insert website
Unread 02/02/2011, 10:53 AM   #75
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

I am really interested in getting involved in this as I like the idea of club members sharing vs. selling to each other. I have even done things like barter electrical/carpentry work for frags when able which helps everyone out. I looked at the rules of this PIF program; do I need to be a payed member to participate? What would be some examples of corals that are "desirable" at this point in time? My experience is in mostly softies, ricordia, lps and limited SPS. Was thinking about some nice acans or something. I will try to pick something up soon and post pics for everyone.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote