Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2019, 07:39 PM   #1
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Green chromis are not friendly

So ive had 5 green chromis for months now and a trend ive noticed with them is they are aggressive.. They are listed as friendly by everyone and everywhere but my 5 chromis keep any tang or angelfish ive had in corners of my tank.. I thought it was because my 55 hexagon was too small. So i just upgraded swapped tanks to my 135 gallon tank.. and ssne thing. 5 little chromis take over the entire tank.. my other damsels and royal gramma just chill wherever.. but these little bastards keep my kole tang in a corner of the tank... if he comes out more then 6 inches they dive bomb and slap him..

Same with my foxface.. he tries to swim around.. dive bomb and body slap.

I love how these fish school and bring activity to the tank. And i like how they seem to be very disease resistant.. but god damn i meed to scoop em out and figure out what to do with them.. because i will be damned if my tang and fox sit in a bottom corner of a 135 gallon tank from 5 little 1 inch fish who are suppose to be friendly...

Its funny because i have other damsels who are considered mean and dont do anything to anyone

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 08:00 PM   #2
reelredfish
Registered Member

following along as for I was about to buy some and put in my tank as my restart. Right now have nothing in the tank.

reelredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 08:11 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Dont confuse "easy" care with peaceful temperament.Chromis are known to be aggressive..

Unread 03/26/2019, 08:22 PM   #4
reelredfish
Registered Member

Interesting I just looked in the two books I have an both show to be peaceful fish. So maybe they are off on this. Need an updated book but not sure they make one?

reelredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 08:43 PM   #5
1claire
Registered Member

The Green Chromis is a very active fish and loves to swim. Whilst the majority of damsels are known for their aggression, the Green Chromis is the exception. They are known for their reasonably peaceful temperament and can be kept with lots of other community fish.

1claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2019, 09:00 PM   #6
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Not true in my case. They dont figjt other fish except fish bigger thrn them.. they go after any angelfish tang and my foxface that ive had... dive bomb and tail slap... even in my 6 foot tank.

I just took em out and put them in my 30g and now my tang and foxface are swimming around.

They are hsrdy if you csn get ones who dont hsbe uronema but dang they are mean to bigger fish... fish their size they dont bother. I sure loved them swiming in my tank but naa

Unread 03/27/2019, 05:29 AM   #7
ducati1212
Registered Member

If they were in the tank first they might have claimed territory. you might be able to add em back in once the other fish are established.

I had 5 green chromis in my 65 and one of them decided to kill the other 4. I had that one for like 6 years.

I dont think fish always do what we think they will

ducati1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2019, 02:05 PM   #8
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Well thing us i just swapped tanks 2 days ago so all fish were added at the same time. And their behavoir didnt change. I hear ya though i noticed order helps but not in the case of these guys haha.

Suck now my tank seems less lively but i cant have 5 5$ fish stress out my 50$+ fish

Unread 03/27/2019, 07:50 PM   #9
ROlympia
Registered Member

My green chromis aggresses against my starry blenny and my powder brown tang and killed the other chromi. Blenny could care less, tang tolerates it for a while and then chases the chromis away.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2019, 07:33 AM   #10
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Yea my tang hides but its a kole tsng. They are pretty timid.. the fox doesnt run hell flair up his spikes when they try to smack him

Unread 03/29/2019, 08:11 PM   #11
brian3
Registered Member

Have 10 in a 125 reef with no fighting issues at all and they are all thriving. In the past when I only had a few they would fight to the death. Maybe I got lucky with this set.

brian3 is offline   Reply With Quote