Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2019, 03:03 PM   #1
mkart
Registered Member

White Spot on Clown in QT but not on there

I have a yellow tang, flame angel and a pair of clowns in my 28G QT right now. The QT/Observation tank has been up about 7 weeks. When I added them to the tank 9 days ago the clowns each had 1 visible white spot on them. The tang had what appeared to be black ich with about 6 black spots on him. I treated the tank with Prazipro and all the spots seemed to go away in about 3 days. I am now on day 6 and just added a second dose of Prazipro. I noticed the larger clown has a white spot again. The others are visually clear. If it was ICH I would have thought the tang would show it first. Could it be something else? I planned to dose cupramine next but am worried about the flame as the forum seems to indicate they do not do well in copper. Although the store I bought them from indicated they were in copper when I bought them. Any thoughts on next best steps?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg clown white spot.jpg (33.2 KB, 12 views)
mkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 04:30 PM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

Looks like ich or possibly the very early stages of Brooklynella.

I would treat with copper + Seachem Metroplex for good measure.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 08:20 PM   #3
mkart
Registered Member

I can start the copper on Thursday after the prazipro is done. I have metroplex but so far this fish won’t eat frozen, just pellets. How crazy is that.

Unread 03/18/2019, 08:57 PM   #4
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkart View Post
I can start the copper on Thursday after the prazipro is done. I have metroplex but so far this fish won’t eat frozen, just pellets. How crazy is that.
I would dose Metroplex into the water (with copper) to treat for brook.

Unread 03/19/2019, 08:22 PM   #5
mkart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
I would dose Metroplex into the water (with copper) to treat for brook.
Do you think it will be an issue to start metroplex tomorrow, 2 days after dosing prazipro? The larger clown has 4 spots on him today. I thought i would start cupramine this weekend and keep dosing metroplex.

Unread 03/19/2019, 08:34 PM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Do you think it will be an issue to start metroplex tomorrow, 2 days after dosing prazipro? The larger clown has 4 spots on him today. I thought i would start cupramine this weekend and keep dosing metroplex.
Dosing Metroplex 2 days after Prazipro is fine. Just point a powerhead towards the surface of the water (or run an air stone) to compensate for oxygen depletion.

Unread 03/19/2019, 08:39 PM   #7
mkart
Registered Member

Quote:
Dosing Metroplex 2 days after Prazipro is fine. Just point a powerhead towards the surface of the water (or run an air stone) to compensate for oxygen depletion.
Thanks, I have an air sponge filter running now in addition to a powerhead so I should be fine. The metroplex does not mention turning off your skimmer so I will probably turn that back on as well.

Unread 03/19/2019, 09:28 PM   #8
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Thanks, I have an air sponge filter running now in addition to a powerhead so I should be fine. The metroplex does not mention turning off your skimmer so I will probably turn that back on as well.
In all likelihood the medication will cause it to overskim. I'd leave it off whilst dosing metro.

Unread 03/26/2019, 04:11 PM   #9
mkart
Registered Member

Quote:
In all likelihood the medication will cause it to overskim. I'd leave it off whilst dosing metro.
I added my first dose today, of cupramine. Only 1.5ml for 28 gallons, trying to build slow. 2 clowns, yellow tang and flame angel in the tank. What level should I shoot for with these fish? .5 ppm appears high for the angel but the one clown still has white spots after 8 days of metroplex.

Unread 03/26/2019, 08:19 PM   #10
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
I added my first dose today, of cupramine. Only 1.5ml for 28 gallons, trying to build slow. 2 clowns, yellow tang and flame angel in the tank. What level should I shoot for with these fish? .5 ppm appears high for the angel but the one clown still has white spots after 8 days of metroplex.
I wouldn't go any lower than 0.5 ppm unfortunately. Despite what Seachem says, I don't trust Cupramine any lower than that.

Unread 03/27/2019, 10:14 AM   #11
mkart
Registered Member

My initial test before adding cupramine was .16ppm, after adding 1.5ml and letting it settle overnight I have .25ppm. Will test again later and add another .5ml tonight. I left the 3 live rocks and sponge filter in the tank and plan to only use them in this QT going forward. Not sure why I had .16 before dosing though. So far fish appear fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk