Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2018, 10:55 AM   #26
top shelf
Registered Member

One can always hope but I'm sure in the end it will take up residence where it feels like it. 2 feet is a decent size nem though, how long did it take yours to reach that size? Was it over a course of just months or years?

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2018, 01:42 PM   #27
davocean
Registered Member

Probably a year to max size, got it at about 5"
I had it 5.5 years overall, towards the end I did spot feed some, but that was long after it hit max size.

Malu are another sebae, they only get to -10", if looking for sand dwellar smallish side that would be my choice, mag is rock dwellar.
Type of clown might affect my choice as well, mags are natural to occs and percs and some others, malu is often well received by all

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2018, 02:09 PM   #28
top shelf
Registered Member

That's not very long at all then. I would like to get a mag some day. There is a decent flat shelf at the top of my rock work so maybe eventually. I called vivid and for sabea it's 50/50 I could get malu or crispa. I asked for crispa so they said they'd do there best. I've also seen Aurora labeled as sebae a few times.

Unread 09/06/2018, 05:35 PM   #29
davocean
Registered Member

That's too bad they can't assure which you get, they are 2 very different animals malu and crispa, w/ very different needs, it's kinda weird to me they both get ID and grouped into sebae category, it really could affect outcome and experience overall.

Aurora often get mislabeled.

Many LFS that are known for sps and even w great reputations still seem to be limited on anemone knowledge.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2018, 07:26 PM   #30
top shelf
Registered Member

I completely agree with you, I can understand having a common name but 3 different nems with totally different care levels should not be grouped together with the same common name.

I'm not necessarily defending them, I try to see and understand things from anothers perspective, but the way it was explained to me is they get a bunch from the whole saler in one lot and there just labeled sebae. What I have gathered from my research the last few weeks is a lot of people tend to have difficulty ID'ing malu from crispa until healthy and we know there not the healthiest when imported. They get sold the same way there sold to them.

I did specifically ask for crispa so maybe they took the extra time to search. I'm starting to think maybe I made the wrong decision. Theres a lot of conflicting info I found so I tried to make the best educated decision I could. I felt confident with my choice but now I'm questioning it. Either way it turns out I'm prepared to do what's necessary for the health of the nem involved.

Unread 09/07/2018, 03:35 AM   #31
Louis Z
Registered Member

I also looking for a nem . Similar problem. Looking for Malu not crispa. Yes everyone I see has bleached and really can’t tell what it is . I have ocellaris . The Magnificas are rarely around my area . So I have to try to order one in. So please continue to post your experience

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 06:27 AM   #32
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
I also looking for a nem . Similar problem. Looking for Malu not crispa. Yes everyone I see has bleached and really can’t tell what it is . I have ocellaris . The Magnificas are rarely around my area . So I have to try to order one in. So please continue to post your experience
According to tracking it is currently in Memphis, TN. When it arrives I'll start a new thread and post up some photos of its arrival and progression. I'll do my best with photos but all I have is a galaxy s9+ to use. With a little effort there decent though.

I figure it will likely come in bleached and I'll have to nurse it back.