Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/30/2006, 08:42 AM   #226
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
What lighting do you have in there now?
4 X 65W PCs so it's a BIG change in lights

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 03/30/2006, 12:23 PM   #227
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by latemodel99
Brian
Good eye that is a top fathom skimmer. It works ok just very tempermental. Planning to get a better one when i get a new tank this summer
Galen,

Yeah, that has been my experience as well. One day it skims great, the next day nothing. I've given up on mine and I'm going to install my new ASM skimmer as soon as I get a chance. I've had the thing sitting in my house for 2 weeks but school is so busy I don't have the time to install it Hopefully this Sunday, and my tank needs it, now that I'm feeding the tank every night (because I have leftovers from feeding the brains in the QT), the cyano is spreading.

The good news is the the TBS brain that looked nearly dead to me is doing MUCH better. The flesh is getting thicker and it is repairing itself all over the place and is eating like a PIG! It even looks like it is forming 2 new mouths.

The same friend that traded me that one decided to give me his other one as well that looks like it might be a different species of TBS brain. But it doesn't look too hot either so I'm going to feed it for a while and see if the appearance changes.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/30/2006, 12:24 PM   #228
bkelley02
Premium Member

Danielle,

You may not like the XM 10k's after a while. I had them and after about a month or so, I hated them. Made things look too yellow for me. They throw a LOT of heat too. I love having the 2x 250 watt MH, but just wouldn't go back to the XM 10k. I have a pair of Reeflux 12k that burned a nice white if you're not happy. I used them about 3-4 weeks but went to radiums instead. My daughters and I like the little hint of blue that they provide. If you aren't happy with the 10k, let me know and maybe we could work something out for the Reeflux if you're interested.

Brian

Unread 03/30/2006, 12:53 PM   #229
bobt2
Registered Member

brian, what do you feed your tbs brains? i never spot feed mine and one has doubled in a year, the other stays the same size. i always thought that was lighting

Unread 03/30/2006, 01:26 PM   #230
patsan
Premium Member

Richard sent me these pictures of his day today:

Going to work at 6:30am

Heading out to work:

Still Chilly in the mornings:

Going between the Islands:

more to come (RC won't let me post them all in one post)

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 03/30/2006, 01:32 PM   #231
patsan
Premium Member

Out into the open gulf on the rock site ready to dive

It already has warmed up to T-shirt weather

Heading home after diving

Rock harvest 3/30/06 on the way home

Susie, after diving

Almost home on a gorgeous day on the Gulf of Mexico!

Richard

Unread 03/30/2006, 01:37 PM   #232
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Danielle,

You may not like the XM 10k's after a while. I had them and after about a month or so, I hated them. Made things look too yellow for me. They throw a LOT of heat too. I love having the 2x 250 watt MH, but just wouldn't go back to the XM 10k. I have a pair of Reeflux 12k that burned a nice white if you're not happy. I used them about 3-4 weeks but went to radiums instead. My daughters and I like the little hint of blue that they provide. If you aren't happy with the 10k, let me know and maybe we could work something out for the Reeflux if you're interested.

Brian
Initially I was going to go with 15K XM but others convinced me to try the 10K because it has much better par. I'll have to see how they work for me but if they don't I'll let you know I'm just hoping my tank temp doesn't rise too much.

Unread 03/30/2006, 01:51 PM   #233
drk70
Premium Member

Looks like nice weather for a change down there.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/30/2006, 02:10 PM   #234
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
brian, what do you feed your tbs brains? i never spot feed mine and one has doubled in a year, the other stays the same size. i always thought that was lighting
Bob,

I'm feeding them a mix of frozen baby brine shrimp and cyclopleeze soaked in selecon. They definitely prefer the baby brine shrimp over the cyclopleeze (go figure), but still eat both.

The healthy ones in my main tank LOVE frozen mysis and will eat cyclopleeze as well. I'm going to be getting some newly hatched baby brine shrimp (live) for them to try out next Saturday.

There are actually several species of "brain" corals that could potentially be found on TBS rock. Some of them could be more dependent on light or feeding. I have 5 of them now including the two sick ones and I might actually have 3 species based on visual characteristics. Once they are very healthy and larger I should be able to tell better.

It could be your one that has doubled in size can utilize light more, or it could be it is in a better position in the tank to catch any food in the water. I would guess both would benefit substantially from target feeding. Feed them after lights off and turn off circulation so they can catch the food. To me it is very fascinating to watch them eat. It is AMAZING how much food a quarter sized sick brain can eat, let alone a tennis ball sized healthy one

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 03/30/2006, 02:39 PM   #235
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Looks like nice weather for a change down there.

Yup was a great day!

saw two 300# jewfish on the site today, a refreshing view after a year of red tide and dead fish!

TBS

Unread 03/30/2006, 02:43 PM   #236
drk70
Premium Member

The real question is how is your rock holding up after the bad red tide? Must not have effected it too much if you are still seeing all the life on it.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 03/30/2006, 02:45 PM   #237
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
Yup was a great day!

saw two 300# jewfish on the site today, a refreshing view after a year of red tide and dead fish!

TBS
I just had to google image a jewfish. Wow, they are huge and ugly. Are they mean and something to be scared of? (you have to remember I am afraid of crabs, so this would have made me dirty the water)

Unread 03/30/2006, 02:46 PM   #238
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
The real question is how is your rock holding up after the bad red tide? Must not have effected it too much if you are still seeing all the life on it.
-It survived!

we are happy!

TBS

Unread 03/30/2006, 02:49 PM   #239
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I just had to google image a jewfish. Wow, they are huge and ugly. Are they mean and something to be scared of? (you have to remember I am afraid of crabs, so this would have made me dirty the water)
It was a male and a female....the male "barked" at me, is like hearing a base drum from three inches, you can feel the concussion under water....pretty neat defense......I WAS looking over my shoulder during the dive as fish that big can bite!

He was not happy I was in his space...as his girlfriend was there also...he was longer than me, six foot!

TBS

Unread 03/30/2006, 03:39 PM   #240
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
-It survived!

we are happy!

TBS
That is great to hear!

Unread 03/30/2006, 04:45 PM   #241
Safir
Registered Member

OOooo - i wonder if my rock is in that bucket

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:37 PM   #242
drk70
Premium Member

Bad News!

Well I have bad news. I came home to a dark and quiet tank today. No power to the tank. Well for some reason the GFI outlet tripped, so no lights, heat, pumps or anything. The temp dropped to about 75. Everything seems OK with the exception to no signs of my angel, dead or alive.

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:39 PM   #243
patsan
Premium Member

Re: Bad News!

Quote:
Well I have bad news. I came home to a dark and quiet tank today. No power to the tank. Well for some reason the GFI outlet tripped, so no lights, heat, pumps or anything. The temp dropped to about 75. Everything seems OK with the exception to no signs of my angel, dead or alive.
Do you have any idea why that happened? Did you loose power to the whole house or just the tank?

I'm sure the angel is fine and just hiding. 75 is not as bad as it could have been.....so I'm sure everything in the tank will be okay. You got it up and running again?

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:40 PM   #244
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir

OOooo - i wonder if my rock is in that bucket
Have you ordered yet?

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:43 PM   #245
drk70
Premium Member

Re: Re: Bad News!

Quote:
Do you have any idea why that happened? Did you loose power to the whole house or just the tank?

I'm sure the angel is fine and just hiding. 75 is not as bad as it could have been.....so I'm sure everything in the tank will be okay. You got it up and running again?
Not sure but the GFI outlet tripped. Power was on in the house but it could have went off sometime during the day.

The angel bit the dust. I just found her upside down behind the rocks. Now I have to figure out how to get her out.

Everything is up and running again.

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:45 PM   #246
krajacich
Premium Member

So sorry to hear that Dennis. I hope you can figure out what happened.

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:50 PM   #247
drk70
Premium Member

Well now I have a reason to go the the LFS.

I'm going to go to Lancaster Saturday. Julian Sprung is giving a coral propagation seminar at 12pm at That Fish Place.

Unread 03/30/2006, 05:52 PM   #248
patsan
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the angel.

Unread 03/30/2006, 06:28 PM   #249
Safir
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you ordered yet?
ordered tuesday, got a call and paid wednesday, to be shipped thursday or friday - just the second half for my 46G, as I cycled it with sand and rock from local sources

really need the critters too - put in my 175W MH Monday and EVERYTHING in the tank is now covered in diatom algae - everywhere except the area shaded by the center brace *lol*

drk70 - I'm planning to visit TFP this weekend as well, but do not know exactly when, as I may have to visit the airport at the same time as Julian's seminar

Unread 03/30/2006, 06:58 PM   #250
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
drk70 - I'm planning to visit TFP this weekend as well, but do not know exactly when, as I may have to visit the airport at the same time as Julian's seminar
Have you been there before? Be prepared for a madhouse.

Closed Thread