Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2018, 10:26 AM   #51
top shelf
Registered Member

In fusion it's set for 5% but it's my understanding they won't run below 15. I can turn it up to 20-30% at night to start. I try to change things up during the day just to get different flow patterns. I can slowly increase 5-10% at a time and see what happens.

Your tank is beautiful btw.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 10:39 AM   #52
davocean
Registered Member

Thanks, I've had to move twice in a short period so my tank is far from what I'd like it to be, and that was the first restart before adding much to it, but it shows placement.

I too make small changes usually, but that mag new to tank probably would do just fine bumping up your flow as quick as you feel comfortable w/ other tank occupants in mind.

When I think of randow flow, as a diver of 42 years just observing, it's chaotic as tides currents and waves change, but typically I want flow to keep clean, w/ rest periods for corals to relax and feed in pulses more than a change up in flow volume over the course of day or night, and as diver that's done many night dives, day or night does not change the amount of flow, in fact I've made many day dives that were so calm it encouraged me to dive that night and was blown all over the place.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 11:41 AM   #53
top shelf
Registered Member

As long as you keep at it progress will be made, in time I'm sure you'll have it where youd like it. Then you'll want it a different way and change again lol

I think I'd be comfortable with 10% every other or 2-3 days at most. Give me time to view and observe in between. I like to take things slow and observe every change for positive or negative side effects. I've made mistakes in the past of changing too much too fast then not knowing what did what when things went down hill.

Out of all the different modes isnt reefcrest supposed to provide that type of flow the best? I've noticed different modes are able to kick crude up from different places in the tank and help to suspend them so they go out the overflow. I tried to set up flow so they get moments of rest in between stronger currents, trying to find a happy medium for everyone.

Unread 10/21/2018, 12:09 PM   #54
OrionN
Moved on

https://youtu.be/6b8BvtwiGzs
Here is a link of a video my 65 gal tank which show flow to my Magnifica and Gigantea.
IMO, the flow to the Mag is a little ow here. One of the mag move to near the overflow to seek higher flow.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 12:52 PM   #55
top shelf
Registered Member

Thank you for the link minh, those are some gorgeous nems! I definitely don't have that much though. I'll try my best to see if I cant replicate that and still keep everyone happy.

Unread 10/21/2018, 01:04 PM   #56
davocean
Registered Member

Cool vid from Minh, my mag is getting a little less than his gig, and a slightly more than his middle mag shows.

Reefcrest mode to me just seems best, and maybe some people like that mode that kind of blasts dietrus, I try to not have dead spots for it to collect and I'm siphoning rocks clean during WC's, and I have a sand bed that I don't want water blast moving it around, just seems more natural to me, more appealing, but to each their own, it's not like there's only one way to achieve your idea of success.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 10/21/2018, 04:51 PM   #57
top shelf
Registered Member

I like reefcrest and I use that mode twice plus at the end of the night I use nutrient export. I cant imagine as I have any dead spots though. The way the rock work is setup with both running I haven't really noticed anywhere for it to settle. I turkey baster my rocks every so often when I think about it. If I had to put a time frame I'd say maybe once a month. As far as the sand bed goes I dont ever touch. I did clean dinos of the very top layer once but that was it. That's what I got a cucumber and snails for, no crabs or shrimp of any kind though. I have tried to keep things as natural as possible. Also noticed the less my hands are in the tank the better it does.

I have learned there are about as many ways to have a successful tank as there are stars.

Unread 10/21/2018, 04:54 PM   #58
top shelf
Registered Member

Took a video but no clue how to add it. Anyone have some suggestions?

Unread 10/21/2018, 05:03 PM   #59
OrionN
Moved on

You need to load it somewhere online, like YouTube, then link it to your post here.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 05:06 PM   #60
top shelf
Registered Member

I did take a few more photos though. This is the current location, I added 10% to to each mode and bumped my nighttime up to 25%. I'll keep an eye on things and see where they go.

FTS

You can see my vortech placement better here.
View from the left side.

If I had to uselessly try to describe the flow I'd say it's a little more then you would want for a torch to sway gently.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/22/2018, 08:39 AM   #61
pfan151
Registered Member

Looking good. Hopefully it will move to the front side of the rock for you at some point.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 08:42 AM   #62
davocean
Registered Member

Might have to play w/ PH to get proper flow towards it, maybe even move to side of tank, or bring it more towards center and bounce off front panel

Unread 10/22/2018, 11:27 AM   #63
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Looking good. Hopefully it will move to the front side of the rock for you at some point.
Thank you! I've been hoping it will pick a spot front and center at some some point and sorta be the main attraction. I think if I can get flow dialed in it just might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
Might have to play w/ PH to get proper flow towards it, maybe even move to side of tank, or bring it more towards center and bounce off front panel
If it comes down to it I dont mind moving a ph from the back glass to a side pane. As for the back wall I dont really have much play side to side but lots of room for up and down adjustment. Where they're at now I have just enough room to slide the float mag past on the side of the tank and about 2 or so inches of space between them and the overflow. At current positions they both bounce of the front of the tank. If I move them much closer to the overflow they'll bounce off the back of the rock work. Might just take a little finesse at this point though.

Unread 10/22/2018, 11:47 AM   #64
davocean
Registered Member

My vorts were originally in back, but I ended up having to move mine to side for better flow dispersion and not blasting nem, though it was putting up w/ it, it did make minor shifts at that time.
Now it sits exact(fingers always crossed as I say that)
I'm pretty confident it looks happy and well sit though

Unread 10/22/2018, 11:58 AM   #65
pfan151
Registered Member

If it stays settled on the back like that for a few days and the foot is only on one rock I’d try just spinning the rock around. I did that with one of mine and it still stayed in the same position on the rock after I moved it. I kind of feel like once they find the spot on the rock they like they sort of set a firmer grip on the rock and won’t move as long as the conditions you place them in are still good. That’s been my experience at least.

Unread 10/22/2018, 05:07 PM   #66
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
My vorts were originally in back, but I ended up having to move mine to side for better flow dispersion and not blasting nem, though it was putting up w/ it, it did make minor shifts at that time.
Now it sits exact(fingers always crossed as I say that)
I'm pretty confident it looks happy and well sit though
I put them there because i felt it was the best overall way to eliminate dead spots around the rock work and help disperse flow. I also wanted a cleaner overall look but my preference comes second to inhabitants well being. Hopefully it stays for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
If it stays settled on the back like that for a few days and the foot is only on one rock I’d try just spinning the rock around. I did that with one of mine and it still stayed in the same position on the rock after I moved it. I kind of feel like once they find the spot on the rock they like they sort of set a firmer grip on the rock and won’t move as long as the conditions you place them in are still good. That’s been my experience at least.
That is a pretty good idea. My rock work is glued but isnt. I used that aquamaxx reef welder so the structure would be solid but at the same time if need be it could be taken apart. If it picks that rock I may still be able to flip it around fairly easily.

Unread 10/22/2018, 05:19 PM   #67
top shelf
Registered Member

So I have a couple ideas for where I can move my ph's to if you guys wanna give some input.

I can either move the right ph to the red X. That would put it just above the top of the rock work in line with where the nem currently sits.

Or I can move the left ph to the side of the tank on the red x. That would be at the top of the rock work pointed at where its.

All of this makes perfect sense in my head lol but not sure if my explanation will or not but I tried my best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/22/2018, 06:27 PM   #68
davocean
Registered Member

Hard to guess from pics alone, but surface agitation would be nice, as long as it does not tornado, and not jet blasting straight on nem.
It could even be fine where it is w/ flow just turned up some

Play around and maybe find if it stops moving down when lights are out, and agree, sometimes it's looking for smooth rock surface, sometimes it's only a matter of spinning a rock so it gets that and flow it likes.

Unread 10/22/2018, 07:40 PM   #69
top shelf
Registered Member

I know it's pretty much all an educated guess at this point. I'm still working on turning up the flow, if I cant get it to stop moving after that then I'll try moving ph around. Hoping I'll get lucky and itll still be in the same spot in the am. Guess I'll know soon enough.

Unread 10/23/2018, 10:05 AM   #70
Kinetic
Registered Member

It'll be very very hard to get it to stop moving by moving powerheads. Best is to just let it settle down (it could take a month). If you're OK with where it is, leave it and don't change lights/flow. If you want it to move again, replicate what it likes in the spot it settled down in, somewhere else.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 10:40 AM   #71
top shelf
Registered Member

I dont mind where it's at if it wanted to stay there. So far its moved about the tank but at the end of the day always seems to be in that same spot until night time. Then it moves elsewhere again.

Unread 10/23/2018, 10:43 AM   #72
Kinetic
Registered Member

Yup, that seems normal. Mine did this where it would just move around every morning, by midday it would go back to its original spot. It would only stray a little ways away from the original spot. So I thought it just liked to roam around daily, but in fact it was still searching. Eventually it did a huge tour of the tank and then stopped in one spot, never moved again at all.

Your mag could be following a similar pattern? If it does, it may ultimately do a massive tank tour to finally find a good spot.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 12:12 PM   #73
top shelf
Registered Member

That sounds pretty spot on to what mine has done. Im not sure there isn't a spot it hasn't been yet but like you said usually ends up in the same spot. Maybe it's just trying to see if there's a better place then the one it's found.

I would like to try and find a piece of flat rock though that's bigger then it's foot so it has a completely flat surface to attach to. I have a few in the tank but their not quit big enough.

Unread 10/23/2018, 03:18 PM   #74
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
You need to load it somewhere online, like YouTube, then link it to your post here.
I do have youtube but not my own channel and admittedly not really all that interested in starting one. If you know of another place that would work I'd be interested. I have since turned up the flow more and it looks to be getting closer to what you had in your video. I do have the foam covers on so trying to take that into consideration as well.

Got home from work and my mag was right back in his spot at the highest point on the rock work. I'm wondering if maybe moving the return line to point just above it would be beneficial. I also added 5% more to the whites, now I'm at 55% blues and 25% whites with 2 ATI blue plus t5's.

Unread 10/23/2018, 10:24 PM   #75
pfan151
Registered Member

Just make sure you protect it from getting sucked into those vortechs while it’s still settling in. I once had a Gig move over 2ft overnight to get sucked into one. Luckily it caused the wet side to fall off before the Gig got totally shredded.