Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2018, 06:42 PM   #1
AC_Rhino
Registered Member

Sump intake and output baffle dimensions

Does it really matter how much space is in the input and output side of the sump? I want to maximize the size of the refugeium by having as small of an intake chamber and as small of an output chamber as I need to have. Normally I would test the **** out of this but right now I don’t have that luxury.

As an FYI this is a 10 gallon fuge and there will be no skimmers or reactors in it … they live elsewhere. This is strictly a refugium with a chamber to hold some carbon and macro algae.

Do the input and output chamber sizes matter or is physics physics … water in water out?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (49.2 KB, 22 views)
AC_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 06:48 PM   #2
DougSupreme
Registered Member

The output section is the only section that will drop with evaporation. If there is not enough water in that section then your pump will suck air frequently

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 07:02 PM   #3
AC_Rhino
Registered Member

I will have an ATO ... but I don't want the ATO to start pumping fresh water in because the sump input (overflow) cant keep up with the sump return.

Unread 06/14/2018, 07:05 PM   #4
DougSupreme
Registered Member

The water entering the sump will be equal to that of the water leaving the sump. You won't have an issue with the return section being short on water unless evaporation takes too much water out of the system

Unread 06/14/2018, 07:40 PM   #5
AC_Rhino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSupreme View Post
The water entering the sump will be equal to that of the water leaving the sump. You won't have an issue with the return section being short on water unless evaporation takes too much water out of the system

Ok so the OTA will help with evap and if something else occurs (overflow stop, to much evap, etc.) the run dry on the DC pump should apply. And if the pump stops and evap/level isn't an issue the check value / output above water level will prevent reverse siphon.

Unread 06/14/2018, 07:57 PM   #6
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Rhino View Post
Ok so the OTA will help with evap and if something else occurs (overflow stop, to much evap, etc.) the run dry on the DC pump should apply. And if the pump stops and evap/level isn't an issue the check value / output above water level will prevent reverse siphon.
If this is a 10 gallon fuge and the compartments are evenly spaced, each compartment (Drain, fuge, return) will be approximately 6" long. assuming a half capacity for water returning during a power outage, the return section would be no higher than 6" deep. That's 1.5 gallons. I evaporate that much every day. Your ATO would be running daily IMO

Unread 06/14/2018, 08:35 PM   #7
AC_Rhino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSupreme View Post
If this is a 10 gallon fuge and the compartments are evenly spaced, each compartment (Drain, fuge, return) will be approximately 6" long. assuming a half capacity for water returning during a power outage, the return section would be no higher than 6" deep. That's 1.5 gallons. I evaporate that much every day. Your ATO would be running daily IMO
Ya I have an 8.5g bucket as a ATO now with about 5g in it. Its a pretty cool room, but I evap about 1g a day.

Unread 06/14/2018, 08:37 PM   #8
AC_Rhino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Rhino View Post
Ya I have an 8.5g bucket as a ATO now with about 5g in it. Its a pretty cool room, but I evap about 1g a day.
I was planning on setting the overflow up so it would allow for evap and let the salinity get a little high before mechanical issues ... but that is a delicate juggling act.

Unread 06/15/2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Timfish
Registered Member

I never use baffles in my systems. Even in my multi-sump/refugium setups plumping/openings are designed so all the sumps/refugium have water levels stay the same irregardless of evaporation.

Unread 07/15/2018, 02:33 AM   #10
Steve175
Registered Member

The "output" area should not be small - even with an ATO IMHO - and I would recommend at least a 3rd of the sump. The flow through your in-sump refugium should be non-turbulent. Ideally your skimmer should output to a section distal to its input. Also, your sump should be the absolute largest that you can fit into its allocated space. $0.02

Current Tank Info: 2 separate 250G bowfront rimless ELOS tanks plumbed to 260G sump, 220G refugium, 220G frag, BK DeLuxe 300, 400W MH x4, closed loops, 3/4hp chiller x2, Phos reactor, Kalk reactor, Charcoal reactor, Ca reactor, 60G surge tanks, & a huge elec bill
Steve175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 08:58 PM   #11
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

My two cents:

In most cases - multiple baffles serve no purpose. A single "over" baffle creates in intake compartment and a return compartment.

More often than not, the multi-baffle setups end up wasting space and the baffles are so close together that bubbles are whisked right through, defeating 90% of the reason for the multiple baffles to begin with.

Refugia - Another complete waste of time. Copepods grow anywhere; as do most things. Refugia, more often than not, become nothing more than hard to clean detritus traps with little to no benefit and plenty of headaches to maintain.

Live Rock in sump - nice idea ( i ran 100+ pounds there for years) but another detritus trap. If you do this, maybe big chunks that can be easily removed and swished in a bucket.

Just my two cents... not that they have any value to anybody but me.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote