Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2017, 02:50 AM   #4951
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Raise the light up to 12-14” above the water line. It greatly reduces the disco effect while still retaining decent shimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will I not lose a lot of par though? I have a single 26hd on a 2ft bubble tip cube. Or could I bump up the blue values or extend the main photo period on the brs ab+ to counter that?

Silfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 05:09 AM   #4952
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR reject hehe View Post
anybody running the David Saxby light schedule with peaks and dips throughout the day?

Yes many of us in this thread have run a variation of the Saxby profile complete with Respiration peaks for over a year now. If you read through the past 25 pages of this thread I kind of merged Saxbys profile with wwc’s sps AB+ and many of us have had good results.

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2017, 05:11 AM   #4953
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfer View Post
Will I not lose a lot of par though? I have a single 26hd on a 2ft bubble tip cube. Or could I bump up the blue values or extend the main photo period on the brs ab+ to counter that?

I really don’t think it will effect par readings that much. A 26hd on a 2’ cube is going to have trouble providing enough par regardless on a 24x24 cube especially for light demanding critters.

Unread 12/01/2017, 06:59 AM   #4954
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Quote:
I really don’t think it will effect par readings that much. A 26hd on a 2’ cube is going to have trouble providing enough par regardless on a 24x24 cube especially for light demanding critters.

Would a 52 be a better option? Thanks

Unread 12/01/2017, 07:25 AM   #4955
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfer View Post
Would a 52 be a better option? Thanks

I would do two 26hd for more even coverage actually. As an owner of a 52hd on a 24” cube I have kind of regretted not buying two 26hd since I got it.

Unread 12/01/2017, 08:28 AM   #4956
Silfer
Gonnae no dae that.

Quote:
I would do two 26hd for more even coverage actually. As an owner of a 52hd on a 24” cube I have kind of regretted not buying two 26hd since I got it.

Okay, thanks.

Been playing about with the BRS AB+ Full power a bit. The reasons for the modifications I made are like so; Personally I feel it makes sense to have flat spots in between respiration periods as the way david saxby has it it's constant up and down, that to me basically equals constant rolling cloud cover, which you won't get. Having flat spots basically means periods of full sun shine which makes more sense. I only put in 2 periods of respiration but I guess you could add a third.

I bumped up the blues a good bit and the white/green/red some too as I feel the colour balance is a little better. Still nice and blue for those that like it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Unread 12/03/2017, 08:52 AM   #4957
SDboatguy
Registered Member

Password reset?

So I'm running 3 Hydra 26 hds . I lost power for an hour and the lights wouldn't reboot. I've always used my phone to access the lights, and the Hydras accessible last night via my phone, EXCEPT they kept asking for a password, i don't remember ever setting up a password ,and if I did i have lost it! I can access MYAI , but not the lights. Any Ideas???

SDboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 04:35 PM   #4958
Kinetic
Registered Member

I'm probably roasting my new SPS with the white LED's on my Hydra 52 HD.

I want to keep the beautiful sleek white look of my Hydra. Any suggestions on what to do? Are there white LED strips that I can just discreetly attach to the fixture? Any non-industrial looking T5 retrofits? I could only find pretty non-showpiece looking retros.

Aquatic Life has that hybrid fixture, but it looks pretty bulky, it's not white, and has chords coming out both ends (which is weird).

My goal is to create the same white look I have now, but not cook my SPS.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 07:15 PM   #4959
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I'm probably roasting my new SPS with the white LED's on my Hydra 52 HD.

I want to keep the beautiful sleek white look of my Hydra. Any suggestions on what to do? Are there white LED strips that I can just discreetly attach to the fixture? Any non-industrial looking T5 retrofits? I could only find pretty non-showpiece looking retros.

Aquatic Life has that hybrid fixture, but it looks pretty bulky, it's not white, and has chords coming out both ends (which is weird).

My goal is to create the same white look I have now, but not cook my SPS.

Run my AB+ and add some 6500k t5 supplements. Only way I have found after roasting $ 100’s worth of coral to get a nice 10-12000k look. Another option would be adding a couple of kessil a80 tuna suns.

Unread 12/06/2017, 10:25 PM   #4960
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Run my AB+ and add some 6500k t5 supplements. Only way I have found after roasting $ 100’s worth of coral to get a nice 10-12000k look. Another option would be adding a couple of kessil a80 tuna suns.
Thanks for the input. I think that makes sense, but I can't find any good T5 retrofits that will look good next to the Hydra.

I like the idea of a nice looking Kessil instead. I could even hang it from the ceiling. Would one A16WE Tuan Sun LED work instead of two A80s?

Last edited by Kinetic; 12/06/2017 at 10:34 PM.
Unread 12/07/2017, 04:43 AM   #4961
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I think that makes sense, but I can't find any good T5 retrofits that will look good next to the Hydra.

I like the idea of a nice looking Kessil instead. I could even hang it from the ceiling. Would one A16WE Tuan Sun LED work instead of two A80s?

I would think an a160 would be perfect and look pretty sharp hanging down next to the hydra! For reference this is what I’m currently using to supplement a few 6500k t5ho. They are sunblaster strips from amazon. Also, the new aquatic life t5 light is pretty sharp looking as well.

Unread 12/07/2017, 01:32 PM   #4962
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm making my own canopy to house the T5's and my AI 52HD will sit on top. It won't be flush with the top, but should not be overly noticeable from where the lights will hang.

CanopyUnfinished.jpg

CanopyPlanIso.JPG

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 01:38 PM   #4963
Kinetic
Registered Member

Those are all really nice setups! I'm not sure they'll go with my aesthetic exactly. I'm thinking of painting a Kessil A160 tuna sun white, and hanging it in front or behind the AI Hydra.

Here's my tank (while cycling earlier this year):

Unread 12/07/2017, 01:38 PM   #4964
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Those are all really nice setups! I'm not sure they'll go with my aesthetic exactly. I'm thinking of painting a Kessil A160 tuna sun white, and hanging it in front or behind the AI Hydra.

Here's my tank (while cycling earlier this year):
Beautiful looking tank and setup

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 07:25 AM   #4965
GfordQC
Registered Member

Here is my canopy added this weekend. Right now i just have two bulbs going for only 1 hr. Even that seemed to shock the coral so i moved it down to 1/2 for today. I'll try and get some pics when the lights are on later. I used the T5 setup that Orcus created.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3375.jpg (31.2 KB, 62 views)

Build Thread:
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:33 PM   #4966
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Here is my canopy added this weekend. Right now i just have two bulbs going for only 1 hr. Even that seemed to shock the coral so i moved it down to 1/2 for today. I'll try and get some pics when the lights are on later. I used the T5 setup that Orcus created.

I love the custom canopy it really looks great! What bulbs are you going to run?

Unread 12/13/2017, 05:25 AM   #4967
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
I love the custom canopy it really looks great! What bulbs are you going to run?

Thanks! Total cost of the canopy was around $50 for materials. It was my first project. I think next year i'm going to add an electrical cabinet. I'm actually using the 2-Blue Plus and 2-Coral Plus same as you I believe. Currently I have two bulbs in, but i'm only doing 1/2" hr to start off. Going to bump it to a 1hr on Sunday and go from there.

Build Thread:
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:10 AM   #4968
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Someone deleted the files so here is the updated link! https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akco_cmvvLNrgZdidaM1bosnUqv21g

Unread 12/14/2017, 06:15 AM   #4969
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
Thanks! Total cost of the canopy was around $50 for materials. It was my first project. I think next year i'm going to add an electrical cabinet. I'm actually using the 2-Blue Plus and 2-Coral Plus same as you I believe. Currently I have two bulbs in, but i'm only doing 1/2" hr to start off. Going to bump it to a 1hr on Sunday and go from there.

Awesome $50 is not bad at all. I currently run 1 Giesemann Tropic and 1 Coral Plus. Once I get my Aquatic life fixture I’m going to switch to 2 tropics and 2 reefbrite actinics. I’m just not a fan of hyper blue tanks lol

Unread 12/15/2017, 05:24 AM   #4970
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome $50 is not bad at all. I currently run 1 Giesemann Tropic and 1 Coral Plus. Once I get my Aquatic life fixture I’m going to switch to 2 tropics and 2 reefbrite actinics. I’m just not a fan of hyper blue tanks lol

Oh got ya. Yeah i like the look when it comes on for sure. Took me a second to get used to it with the difference to the program i ran before.

Build Thread:
Unread 12/17/2017, 03:46 PM   #4971
qfrisco
Registered Member

Those with Refugiums: What light/s do you have over your macro?

I’ve been battling a hair algae issue in my display for the last 1.5 years or so, basically since I put my Hydra 52s in. I had 2x Vegas before that, 6x overdriven T5HOs before those, and 2x 250w MHs before those and never had hair algae this bad. This with a very low bio-load (one clown and a small kole tang) in my 90g, and feeding every 3rd day.

I’m now pursuing this theory that my refugium lights aren’t able to compete against my Hydra 52s, having just ran CFL bulbs in there to date (which is what I’ve used for my previous light setups). Just last week I put one of my old Vegas down there with all colors at 100% :-). We’ll see.

So, I was curious, for those Hydra owners than keep macroalgae in your refugium, what light/s do you have underneath?

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 06:04 PM   #4972
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrisco View Post
I’ve been battling a hair algae issue in my display for the last 1.5 years or so, basically since I put my Hydra 52s in. I had 2x Vegas before that, 6x overdriven T5HOs before those, and 2x 250w MHs before those and never had hair algae this bad. This with a very low bio-load (one clown and a small kole tang) in my 90g, and feeding every 3rd day.

I’m now pursuing this theory that my refugium lights aren’t able to compete against my Hydra 52s, having just ran CFL bulbs in there to date (which is what I’ve used for my previous light setups). Just last week I put one of my old Vegas down there with all colors at 100% :-). We’ll see.

So, I was curious, for those Hydra owners than keep macroalgae in your refugium, what light/s do you have underneath?

I ran a fuge for awhile and had to throw a ton of light on it for it to compete with the display. Eventually put a spare prime I had on it and that was finally enough. I’d probably go with a sbreef fuge light or a kessil h360 if I was going to set one up again.

Unread 12/17/2017, 06:59 PM   #4973
qfrisco
Registered Member

Quote:
I ran a fuge for awhile and had to throw a ton of light on it for it to compete with the display. Eventually put a spare prime I had on it and that was finally enough. I’d probably go with a sbreef fuge light or a kessil h360 if I was going to set one up again.

Orcus-

What are you doing for your nutrient export now?

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2017, 10:04 PM   #4974
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrisco View Post
Orcus-

What are you doing for your nutrient export now?

Went back to carbon dosing. No matter how good the fuge was growing I couldn’t keep nutrients in check.

Unread 12/19/2017, 08:02 PM   #4975
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Went back to carbon dosing. No matter how good the fuge was growing I couldn’t keep nutrients in check.

What do you use for carbon dosing?