Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2018, 01:06 AM   #1
Traxman4040
Registered Member

Rock Flower Anemone and a Clown Fish

Hey all,

I'm new to the hobby and have only had my tank set up (90gal reef) for about a month but I was given a rock anemone as an extra by Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater when I ordered "the package". Everything I have read says that they don't or wont host clown fish. But I have seen other posts about other anemones that don't host clown fish and people having success with them hosting. Just wondered what peoples thoughts where on it and if they have seen, heard or know much about rock anemones.

Traxman4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Evolve29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxman4040 View Post
Hey all,

I'm new to the hobby and have only had my tank set up (90gal reef) for about a month but I was given a rock anemone as an extra by Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater when I ordered "the package". Everything I have read says that they don't or wont host clown fish. But I have seen other posts about other anemones that don't host clown fish and people having success with them hosting. Just wondered what peoples thoughts where on it and if they have seen, heard or know much about rock anemones.

Very rare instances, but clowns may surprise you once and awhile. My orange blood will host a Condy if available. I had a rock in the tank and she wouldn’t host it. She would rub her fins sort of against it every now and then but wouldn’t do anything else. There is a u tube video where a Cinnamon clown I think is hosting one. I have never seen one in person. I know anemone crabs will host them but I think they gravitate to bta or Lt given the choices. I think anemone shrimps will host too not positive on that.
Rock anemone are hardy and come in different colors which can be pricey on the colorful ones (My shop was asking 70 plus for some colorful ones), but if you are expecting it to host, I wouldn’t hold out expecting it will. Most than likely it won’t.
For some the prices they are asking on rock anemones, I would rather get a purple LT, rose bubble, or even a rainbow bubble and get better probability of clowns hosting them vs a rock anemone and still have a colorful anemone too. Since it was free, it isn’t a bad deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evolve29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown fish, new 90gal, rock anemone