Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2014, 04:43 PM   #51
Mock
Saltwater Junkie

I have a 60" long x36" wide x 27" tall SPS tank. Can I use these lights? I was looking at it and the 48-60s I was hoping to use 5 or 6 to cover the tank. Will this support SPS at the lower levels and is this even an option? I also seen where these might be linkable but havent seen anything about it.

Unread 11/10/2014, 05:46 PM   #52
MarineDepot
Sponsor

They are not linkable at this point, maybe in the future, but I have not heard any concrete news from Current USA. If you take a look at the spectral information on our website linked below; the PAR values will not be sufficient for SPS past 8-12" from the water's surface.

http://goo.gl/h5tFXA

For a tank of this size, you would be way better off with something like the Kessil A360W, Radion Pro, or AI Hydra52, especially for SPS. This will give you the ability to control the lights from a single source and also reduce cords and equipment around your tank. You will also get much better PAR values throughout the entire aquarium.

http://goo.gl/877pds

Feel free to let us know if you have more questions.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2014, 08:23 PM   #53
Travish881
Registered Member

I have a 36 gallon bow and want to keep a few soft corals i.e. zoas frogspawn and a toadstool leather would this light be enough to keep those

Travish881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2014, 10:57 AM   #54
MarineDepot
Sponsor

New Product! Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travish881 View Post
I have a 36 gallon bow and want to keep a few soft corals i.e. zoas frogspawn and a toadstool leather would this light be enough to keep those
Yes, this will provide the light you need for soft corals and LPS. Just be sure to place the corals appropriately in your aquarium based on lighting preference.

Unread 11/13/2014, 04:53 PM   #55
Travish881
Registered Member

Awesome, should i wait for black friday will you be having a sale on this light :0

Unread 11/13/2014, 04:59 PM   #56
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Question Black Friday @ Marine Depot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travish881 View Post
Awesome, should i wait for black friday will you be having a sale on this light :0
I haven't seen all the Black Friday deals yet (although the ones I have seen are going to make a lot of people happy!), so honestly I'm not sure. I have seen all of next week's deals though and it isn't among them. I'm not one to discourage a sale by any means, but I'd suggest just waiting until after Black Friday and Cyber Monday before you pull the trigger if you can hold out that long. There may be other offers you'd like to take advantage of that won't happen any other time of the year.

Unread 11/13/2014, 05:52 PM   #57
Travish881
Registered Member

excellent advice will hold out as painful as it is

Unread 11/19/2014, 04:50 PM   #58
DamonG
Registered Member

I just wanted to give it some time before I reported back... I am a bit disappointed as I don't believe these are going to work for my sticks. I just don't think they are powerful enough to do what I want for lighting.

I am going to keep using the two fixtures until I order my new units. If anything of happens,I will report back here

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 08:59 AM   #59
DamonG
Registered Member

I actually did a little change to the lights and found that, after I purchased a few frags that I need to actually turn them down(acro polyps tucked in) I am running them now at 70 percent white and to get the color I like,90 blue. It seems to be going good, but am going to wait a week or two to see how growth and color changes in my stones..

Unread 11/24/2014, 11:32 AM   #60
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
I actually did a little change to the lights and found that, after I purchased a few frags that I need to actually turn them down(acro polyps tucked in) I am running them now at 70 percent white and to get the color I like,90 blue. It seems to be going good, but am going to wait a week or two to see how growth and color changes in my stones..
Thanks for the update! We hope things continue to go favorably for you!

Unread 12/02/2014, 12:23 PM   #61
.Chris.
Registered Member

I have a 36"x18"x20" tank and was wondering if two 24" fixtures suspended approximately 8" above the tank would be sufficient for soft corals and lower light LPS.

.Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 12:34 PM   #62
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your inquiry. As the Orbit utilizes lower-wattage LED's, we would not recommend suspending it above the aquarium as intensity would drop. Your better option would be to use either one or two 36" strips and place them right on top of the tank with the legs provided.

Unread 12/02/2014, 01:03 PM   #63
.Chris.
Registered Member

Could you give me an idea of how much the intensity would drop?

.Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 01:23 PM   #64
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, we do not have those specifications. As each LED on the Orbit Marine is 1/4W, you will want the fixture to be as close to the water as possible.

Unread 12/05/2014, 10:35 AM   #65
Candi
Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone has any photos or tips on mounting one in the hood of a 28g nanocube? I have the intermediate LED but have never liked the look nor had much luck with it (had it replaced 2x for issues with the LED's and am just over it) so I want to gut the hood and use this instead, need to keep the tank covered due to jumping fish though...

Thanks!

Candi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2014, 11:02 AM   #66
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candi View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any photos or tips on mounting one in the hood of a 28g nanocube? I have the intermediate LED but have never liked the look nor had much luck with it (had it replaced 2x for issues with the LED's and am just over it) so I want to gut the hood and use this instead, need to keep the tank covered due to jumping fish though...

Thanks!
Current USA does not offer any sort of retro-fit hardware but it should be fairly simple to attach into the hood after removing the existing components. The fixture is water resistant and safe for use inside the hood, but I would still recommend keeping the fans in place to help ventilate.

The 18"-24" model would work well for lower light requiring corals such as Leathers, Zooanthids, and a variety of other soft corals.

Unread 12/21/2014, 12:28 PM   #67
subiedoinit
Registered Member

I have had my orbit marine led on my 55g for a year now and was wondering what blue and white intensities everyone is using on a very day basis.
blue 100%
white 65%
I have soft corals and they seem to all grow very well all set about half way up

subiedoinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 10:58 PM   #68
Ryellis23
Registered Member

Just ordered 18-24 model for my 10g Nano build! 94$ off ebay!!

Ryellis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 08:39 AM   #69
scoobzilla
Registered Member

need some help have 4x2x2 120 up and running for year and half some corals torch,polyps,bulb tip looking to add more, some fish.running 2 4'' 4 bulb solar extreme units with ati bulbs.8 bulbs total 432 watts.was looking at the orbit led's.will 2 be good or 1 with added strips and what percent should i start with.or should stay with original lights.need some help

scoobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 11:16 AM   #70
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobzilla View Post
need some help have 4x2x2 120 up and running for year and half some corals torch,polyps,bulb tip looking to add more, some fish.running 2 4'' 4 bulb solar extreme units with ati bulbs.8 bulbs total 432 watts.was looking at the orbit led's.will 2 be good or 1 with added strips and what percent should i start with.or should stay with original lights.need some help
I would go with something more powerful to be honest. I had to upgrade my two units and if i had known they weren't strong enough (i didnt heed the forums), i could have gotten a stronger fixture from the start. They are nice looking and low profile lights that would probably be good for a fowlr, but I like sps and no matter what i did, no color.. And my parameters are spot on.

I upgraded to a Reefbreeders photon 48,and i like it. But any of the 110 watt fixtures, probably 2 of them would work great for you and then some(such as the breeders, AI, radions, etc) for their power and spectrum.. And for most of the 110 fixtures, you start at 30(or around the) on the channel with your whites and then, set your blues to your preference..

Best of luck in your selection.

Unread 01/04/2015, 10:31 PM   #71
riecraig
Registered Member

How would a single 36in unit do over a mr aqua 12 gal long? Looking to do lps and some sps.

riecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2015, 12:08 PM   #72
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobzilla View Post
For a full mixed reef, you may want something a bit more powerful to give you freedom with placing the corals and achieve good growth and color. The AquaIllumination, EcoTech Marine, and Kessil fixtures are a great choice.

High Output LED Fixtures

Having said that, I personally love the effect of combining T5 Lights and LED strips. This Orbit marine would be great when used in combination with a couple of T5 lamps. You could use x2 of the 48-60 fixtures and supplement with additional T5 bulbs.

When making a transition to LED lights, it is best to start with a lower percentage of about 25-40%, then slowly increase over the course of 4 - 6 weeks.

Unread 01/05/2015, 12:13 PM   #73
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riecraig View Post
How would a single 36in unit do over a mr aqua 12 gal long? Looking to do lps and some sps.
This fixture will work great for a shallow reef inside the Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon long. Based on the dimensions of the tank, you probably would want the 24" - 36" model for a clean mount onto the aquarium edges.

Orbit Marine LED

Unread 01/05/2015, 03:27 PM   #74
mnkykng77
Registered Member

MarineDepot,
I already have a 36", if I were to run a 2nd one on my standard 50gal tank, would that be enough light for an anenome and polyps?

Unread 01/05/2015, 03:29 PM   #75
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkykng77 View Post
MarineDepot,
I already have a 36", if I were to run a 2nd one on my standard 50gal tank, would that be enough light for an anenome and polyps?
Running two of the 36" fixtures will provide plenty of light in a standard 50 gallon tank.

Tags
current usa, led, lighting, orbit marine