Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2017, 06:31 PM   #1
scott11106
Registered Member

Arrow new 300 gallon reef tank with fish room setup, need help

I used to be a member about 12 years ago with a 120g reef tank and had to move and was not able to have a tank..

But now I am building a new house and i am setting up a 300 gal reef tank built into wall with a dedicated room for equipment ect..

I had multiple tanks for 4-5 years but have been out of the hobby for 6 years so i need alot of advice of how to put this project together and specifically the size and setup of the room as i am in the process of designing the home now.

I have attached a quick sketch i put together of what i think the room should look like but not sure if i have it right.

After that i will need to talk about what hardware to get..

Thank you in advance...

Scott

Attached Files
File Type: pdf fish room.pdf (53.2 KB, 254 views)
scott11106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 05:48 AM   #2
scott11106
Registered Member

wow nobody has any thoughts?

I know i put alot of thought into this but did not know i nailed it first shot...

how about a vendor for the hardware starting with the tank? i was thinking lifetime aquariums??

please help

Unread 03/21/2017, 06:53 AM   #3
CarrieB
Registered Member

You might try looking through the build threads to find someone that's doing something similar. Most of the folks on NTTH are working with something a little smaller.:-)

I took a quick look and found this one, for example:

300 gallon shallow tanked fish room build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 09:57 AM   #4
crawlerman
Registered Member

It looks well thought out to me. Only thing I can think of is a lip or step down so if water leaks it is contained to the room. Epoxy floors and part way up walls. Maybe add enough space for a frag tank and some kind of counter space for testing, dipping and what not.

crawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you've got an option for a floor drain, it's real good. I have a basement sump with that feature, and oh, the grief it's saved me.

I'd say in the 12 years since you left, the big deals is the high-end skimmer, and the LED lights, which are tricky; plus the high-volume circulation devices like Gyre and others.

If you have a basement option for the sump, take it: my Iwaki 100 pump sounds like a jet engine warming up. Down there, out of hearing.

Since the LEDS no longer provide the kind of heat MH did, plan on heating at least in the winter.

And being near a water source is good.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 10:16 AM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

I take it in the pdf we're looking at a service room for an in-wall tank. Soundproofing would be good.

Another new product you will like is the Tunze Easy-care magnet cleaner, which can get where no cleaner has gone before, even down along that nasty rim that develops on a sandbed: it doesn't pick up gravel to scratch your tank. And it rarely comes apart on you.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:29 PM   #7
Stolireef
Registered Member

It looks like you've got a fireplace right next to the tank. If it's a wood burning fireplace, as opposed to a gas fireplace, you're going to want to make sure you insulate between the tank and the fireplace or your are going to have a very warm tank. I love the look and the idea but make sure you think that part through carefully. Also, maybe I'm missing something but where is the sump?

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:33 PM   #8
lg2725
Registered Member

Is this on a 1st or 2nd floor?

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon long reef tank, 75 gallon basement sump/fuge, GHL 3.1T ex controller, GHL Doser 2.1, BRS dual GFO/Carbon, Rapid Led's
lg2725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 02:44 PM   #9
scott11106
Registered Member

Thank you everyone,
It is on the first floor but I am building so I am having the builder add additional support to hold the load of a 300g tank plus sump and a couple small tanks for Refugium and qt tank.

The fireplace is going to be a gas fireplace but I will need to check and make sure there is no heat transfer, thanks for the heads up

Unread 03/21/2017, 02:55 PM   #10
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I take it in the pdf we're looking at a service room for an in-wall tank. Soundproofing would be good.

Another new product you will like is the Tunze Easy-care magnet cleaner, which can get where no cleaner has gone before, even down along that nasty rim that develops on a sandbed: it doesn't pick up gravel to scratch your tank. And it rarely comes apart on you.

Most definitely going to get the magnet, that looks great!
Any idea on soundproofing?

Not sure what to do with that..

Unread 03/21/2017, 03:56 PM   #11
scott11106
Registered Member

Ahh yes I am putting a floor drain in but I wonder if I need to worry about sand etc clogging it up if I am syphoning ??
In your opinion what lights and how many would I need for a 300g, FYI, I will be running an apex so I gather they need to work with that, correct?

Unread 03/21/2017, 08:34 PM   #12
scott11106
Registered Member

that is a very good link, thanks

Unread 03/22/2017, 06:46 AM   #13
scott11106
Registered Member

I did have a drain designed in but a step and putting tile up the wall is a great idea. What are thoughts on using tile vs epoxy for flooring?

Unread 03/22/2017, 07:45 AM   #14
Ryagon
Registered Member

I'm a draftsman so I draw floor plans all day. If that is to scale it looks very tight. If you have the option I would widen the room a bit, not much space between the sink and the tank. If you want you can have them do a step down of about 1 1/2" in case of catastrophic failure, then the floor drain can handle the rest. Concrete floor or tile. I would probably make sure the Gypsum board is moisture resistant also, if the tank is open top and you have a few other tanks it could get real humid.

Ryagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2017, 07:49 AM   #15
Ryagon
Registered Member

Can't edit post..

Tile on the wall would be good, better than just straight gyp board. If you are looking for something less expensive, FRP is a vinyl wall covering that is easy to clean. Another option for flooring could be quarry tile they use for restaurant kitchens. It has texture so if it gets slick you won't fall. Not sure how easy it would be to clean though.

Unread 03/22/2017, 01:55 PM   #16
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Exhaust fan with humidistat would be good (thus it auto on's when it gets too humid). Just ordered mine today

An ethernet line would be good if you intend to get an Apex.

If you need more space and can't move the walls, I'd say ditch the sink for simply a water line. Could move your shelving to there and your sump/ref in the corner if you aren't doing them underneath.

Good luck on your build!

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 06:34 AM   #17
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Exhaust fan with humidistat would be good (thus it auto on's when it gets too humid). Just ordered mine today

An ethernet line would be good if you intend to get an Apex.

If you need more space and can't move the walls, I'd say ditch the sink for simply a water line. Could move your shelving to there and your sump/ref in the corner if you aren't doing them underneath.

Good luck on your build!

I have added a foot to the width and length and instead of putting a utility sink I am going to put a countertop with sink so I have a big work space and a smaller sink. Moved the RO and water to the other corner so I think it works better. Does the ape need cat5 or will it work wireless?

Sump and refug under tank

I was planning a dehumidifier but is an exhaust fan a better route?

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:37 AM   #18
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryagon View Post
Can't edit post..

Tile on the wall would be good, better than just straight gyp board. If you are looking for something less expensive, FRP is a vinyl wall covering that is easy to clean. Another option for flooring could be quarry tile they use for restaurant kitchens. It has texture so if it gets slick you won't fall. Not sure how easy it would be to clean though.

Thanks and that is a good idea, maybe I will look into the quarry tile and I think I might just build it like a shower with tile only going up 3' or so, thoughts?

Unread 03/23/2017, 06:42 AM   #19
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryagon View Post
I'm a draftsman so I draw floor plans all day. If that is to scale it looks very tight. If you have the option I would widen the room a bit, not much space between the sink and the tank. If you want you can have them do a step down of about 1 1/2" in case of catastrophic failure, then the floor drain can handle the rest. Concrete floor or tile. I would probably make sure the Gypsum board is moisture resistant also, if the tank is open top and you have a few other tanks it could get real humid.

Opened up the floor plan 1 foot w/l and I like the idea of a small step down, I could loose the tapered floors if I do that also correct? I was a bit worried about how the stand would be on a tapered floor.

Was wondering if I should have the stand framed in with the house or built and put on tile floor, thought it might crack tile or flooring

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:12 AM   #20
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott11106 View Post
I have added a foot to the width and length and instead of putting a utility sink I am going to put a countertop with sink so I have a big work space and a smaller sink. Moved the RO and water to the other corner so I think it works better. Does the ape need cat5 or will it work wireless?

Sump and refug under tank

An Apex can use wireless as well, but if your router isn't convenient, a hardline isn't a bad idea for convenience and dependability.

exhaust fan would not take up space on your floor and probably provides a better exchange rate of air.

These are just thoughts. Go with what you prefer.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 10:02 AM   #21
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:

I would definitely go with the exhaust fan. A dehumidifier adds heat (especially in a small room) and noise.

I would try to get bigger RODI/SW storage containers. 30 gallons isn't much water for a 300 gallon tank.

- Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 12:27 PM   #22
scott11106
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanTheTerrible View Post
I would definitely go with the exhaust fan. A dehumidifier adds heat (especially in a small room) and noise.

I would try to get bigger RODI/SW storage containers. 30 gallons isn't much water for a 300 gallon tank.

- Ivan

Ok I have found some 55 gallon heavy duty barrel type containers and will spec in an exhaust fan

Unread 03/24/2017, 10:59 AM   #23
Ryagon
Registered Member

Quote:
Opened up the floor plan 1 foot w/l and I like the idea of a small step down, I could loose the tapered floors if I do that also correct? I was a bit worried about how the stand would be on a tapered floor.

Was wondering if I should have the stand framed in with the house or built and put on tile floor, thought it might crack tile or flooring

You would probably still want a bit of slope at the drain so it would not puddle, but should be ok flat at the tank. Then you wouldn't have to shim a 300 gallon tank.

Unread 03/24/2017, 11:05 AM   #24
fishgate
Registered Member

I don't think I'd put it in the bedroom. I'd have it someplace where everyone can see it. You also want a sink next to the tank.

120g in-wall, 40B Sump, PC 54wx4, Jabao DC-6000 (full siphon), future seahorse t

Current Tank Info: 125g, 120g, 2x40b sumps, ATI 4x80 T5HO
fishgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 11:24 AM   #25
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

@fishgate. I may be wrong but I believe that this is a fishroom with an inwall tank display that faces a living room near a fireplace.

My concern is in having a fish room so close to your master bedroom. My wife would not go for such a design for two reasons. The noise from pumps and that fish store smell. Do you have such concerns or is the bedroom well isolated from your fish room?

Do you have an updated drawing you want to share? Please include the layout of the living room where your fireplace and display tank

Tags
300 gallon reef tank, fish room, reef aquarium