Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2017, 02:12 PM   #176
pelphrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
It's mostly because I have to manually unplug skimmer, ato and return whenever I target feed, then I have to plug return back, wait a few min before turning skimmer and ato. Would be nice to do this with the touch of a button on my phone. Also, now that I am dosing kalkwaser, would be great to have the option to stop the ato if ph gets too high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the code I use for my skimmer -

Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet VarioS6_2 = OFF Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 010 Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON

VarioS6_2 is my return pump. If my return pump shuts off or I shut it off my skimmer shuts down automatically. The last 2 lines tell me skimmer to delay startup for 10 minutes if it has been shut down. This prevents me skimmer collection cup from overflowing.

So when I shut down my return for water changes my skimmer shuts down, when I turn my return pump back on my skimmer will start up 10 minutes later.

I also have a break out box and floats in my sump and ATO container. Low level float in my return section will shut down my return pump IF the water gets to low to prevent burning the pump up. Heaters will also shut off.

High level switch will shut the skimmer off to prevent the collection cup from overflowing. The ATO switch simply notifies me via text and email when the container has 2 gallons left in it. So if I get this notice first thing in the morning I know I have enough water in the container until I get home.

Unread 01/19/2017, 04:56 PM   #177
tenurepro
Registered Member

Sweet! Thanks P. What are you thoughts on the new apex vs. classic; I don't have the option for hardwiring via ethernet so wifi is how I want to run it. But hearing scary stories re. Wifi and new apex...

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 08:34 AM   #178
pelphrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Sweet! Thanks P. What are you thoughts on the new apex vs. classic; I don't have the option for hardwiring via ethernet so wifi is how I want to run it. But hearing scary stories re. Wifi and new apex...

I am running the classic, I bought it from a buddy who bought a complete system from someone and he already had an apex on his tank. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the new apex if money isn't a concern. For me I couldn't justify dropping that cash without first using one, but today I would in a heart beat.

Since my tank is located on the first floor of my home and my network switch is upstairs I am unable to run a Ethernet cable down to the apex. Instead of buying the netgear wireless extender I took an old linksys wireless router I had and updated the firmware on it with dd-wrt. Basically this flashes the firmware on a wireless router and converts it from a wireless router to a wireless extender. The ports on the wireless router still work so I am able to plug my apex into it and it will communicate through my wireless network.

I do have a 100' cat5 cable that I use to run from my network switch to my apex if/when I ever need to update the firmware on the apex. If you do go with the classic you'll never want to update the firmware on it over a wireless connection.

Unread 01/20/2017, 09:51 AM   #179
marper331
Registered Member

I just set up a reefer 350 with similar equipment. Im thinking that my last big purchase for a while could be an Apex system. Im leaning towards the new Apex.

marper331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 09:53 AM   #180
pelphrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marper331 View Post
I just set up a reefer 350 with similar equipment. Im thinking that my last big purchase for a while could be an Apex system. Im leaning towards the new Apex.
The new Apex does have some additional features that are nice, especially for you setting up the 350. You can add the WAV pumps to the new apex directly since it has the 1link built in!

Unread 01/20/2017, 01:20 PM   #181
tenurepro
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

Unread 01/21/2017, 08:07 PM   #182
mystikal
Registered Member

Just got my tank today...already started filling lol..I'm looking into getting the vectra after checking your build

Unread 01/21/2017, 09:28 PM   #183
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikal View Post
Just got my tank today...already started filling lol..I'm looking into getting the vectra after checking your build

Can't go wrong with the vectra. A big chunk of cash but worth it imho. Very quiet, powerful and controllable.

Unread 01/21/2017, 09:35 PM   #184
rockstarta78
Registered Member

Nice tank. Following

rockstarta78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 03:54 PM   #185
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarta78 View Post
Nice tank. Following

Thanks!

Unread 01/22/2017, 03:55 PM   #186
tenurepro
Registered Member

7 month update video.
Minor change to the scape. Dealing with some cyano now which I am hoping vibrant reef cleaner will take care of. Also nitrates are climbing up now... 10 ppm. Not sure if I should do anything about it. There seems to be mixed thoughts on nitrates and coral health. Some advocating the ULN line while others suggesting that some nitrates are good for corals, but when does it turn from good to bad?

https://youtu.be/rbSer47RE7I

Unread 01/27/2017, 05:44 AM   #187
mystikal
Registered Member

Quote:
Motivated by Rpc07, I decided to turn the stock ATO into a fuge. It will be fed by my phosban reactor with the aim of providing some space for a pod population. I wanted to drill two bulkheads for a main and an emergency. First time drilling the tank so was very nervous. 1/2" bulkheads need a 1-1/8" hole. I found a little glass drilling kit which came with a drilling guide. I marked the holes on the tank, setup the drill and guide and gave it a go but the drill started dancing on the glass yikes!

Ok plan b, need a better guide and to practice. Managed to find some spare tiles and after some trial and error, managed to drill a 1-1/8" hole in it - yay!

So I built a little plumbers putty dam on the ato tank, lightly clamped the ceramic tile on it and started drilling to get the hole started, then finished it off free hand ... Success

Of course, rookie mistakes where made. I penciled in the emergency overflow half an inch Higher than main but with all the mishaps and excitement, it only ended 1/4" higher. But I think I can fix this by elevating the emergency overflow nozzle a bit.
Will cover the sides of the tank to prevent light creep outside the fuge and shop for a little light and hook it up tomorrow

Want to drill another ATO?

Unread 01/27/2017, 05:56 AM   #188
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Want to drill another ATO?

Haha... come on up it to Toronto Canada and I'll help you out

Unread 01/27/2017, 12:24 PM   #189
Xandernfs
Registered Member

I'm also planning a fudge in the ATO reservoir but I'm thinking of having it pumped/drained from the bottom. I was wanting the water to get to the fudge before any reactor since some of the media takes out nutrients that the fudge uses up.

None the less, nice design.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2017, 11:28 PM   #190
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandernfs View Post
I'm also planning a fudge in the ATO reservoir but I'm thinking of having it pumped/drained from the bottom. I was wanting the water to get to the fudge before any reactor since some of the media takes out nutrients that the fudge uses up.

None the less, nice design.

Thanks! I copied the design from another users on the form, works well. One consideration re. Bottom feed and drain is the water will drain out of the fuge in a power outage and that may not work well depending on what you plan to keep in there.
Your post had me thinking about fudge

Unread 01/31/2017, 09:13 PM   #191
tenurepro
Registered Member

Big update:
I am now a control freak!

Got next gen Apex and set it up last weekend. Was on the fence for a bit but decided that it was the way to go to automate and monitor things better. I set it up via wifi and it's been running solid since installation.

Things I love about apex
1) seeing what my ph is like, and that my heater and ato are doing their job

2) controlling all my equipment including ecotech via my phone.... ps apex fusion with wxm is so much easier to control radions and vortech then buggy reeflink, which I literally had to reboot every other day

3) in the morning, I now press the feed 'a' bottom on my phone app ; turns off vectra, skimmer and ato... l drop some frozen food in tank, which gets eaten by the fish within 5 min, then vectra kicks in again, then skimmer and ato 5 min afterwards... zero hassle, food stays in tank and not in sump. No more unplugging equipment with wet hands or forgetting to turn on ato.

5) little gem in the fusion interface... the ability to add test results and notes. No more having to write things on paper, then log them into excel

6) charts and graphs charts and graphs... and programming. My inner and outer nerd are so happy right now, I could derive kimura's diffusion approximation out of sheer joy...

Things I hate about apex...
nothing so far... but I am in the honeymoon period, so things will come up I am sure. I set it up in a way to guard against connection issues if they arise. All core equipment is set to on in case of loss of wifi (return, heater, ato, powerheads, skimmer). Heater and ato are primarily controlled by their built in thermostats and water level sensors respectively. So some built in redundancy.

2) minor update. My nitrates have been going up... from undetectable over the first 4 months, to 5 ppm over month 5 & 6, to 10 over the past couple of weeks. Wanted to do something before they get out of hand... my current box of instant ocean salt has high alk (11.6) so large water changes would be a bad idea as I keep my tank at 8.5 alk. I decided to start doing small 2 liter water changes per day + dosing nopox. Started with 4 ml / day for 2 days, which cut my nitrates back to 5 ppm- a good target I think. I dropped the nopox dose to 2 ml per day and will test regularly to make sure that levels stay between 2 and 5 ppm
Here is a graph of nitrates after nopox dosing ... impressive

3) to help cut nitrates, I've put 2 of the 3 ornate leopard wrasses on the selling block... Damien - your are right... foolish to get 3 of the same fish in a smallish tank. One should aim for diversity

More thoughts on Apex and tank in a few weeks once I get a better sense of the system.
Cheers!

Unread 01/31/2017, 09:34 PM   #192
pelphrey
Registered Member

Nice!!!

This is the code I use for my skimmer.

If Outlet VarioS6_2 = OFF Then OFF
If Power Apex Off 010 Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON

VarioS6_2 is my return pump. So if my return is off my skimmer is off. This stops the skimmer from over flowing if the sump level gets to high.

The defer statement delays the startup of my skimmer is my return is off or the apex system shuts all the way down. After he return comes back on or the apex comes back on the skimmer waits 10 minutes to start up. This gives my sump time to level out.

Be sure that heart beat is turned on-

Unread 02/01/2017, 06:45 AM   #193
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelphrey View Post
Nice!!!
Be sure that heart beat is turned on-

Sweet tip on heartbeat! Just tuned it on now, thanks!

Unread 02/06/2017, 01:39 PM   #194
mystikal
Registered Member

What setting is the Vectra on?
And how is the refugium going? Can you take some pictures? I'm trying to plan ahead lol

Unread 02/06/2017, 06:15 PM   #195
tenurepro
Registered Member

Vectors is calibrated to 80% of power = max, then I run it at 45% (which is really 45% of 80%). The fuge is ok... I initially thought of it as a way to boost pods in display. It has come in handy though for keeping fish that are misbehaving or need some time to fatten up post qt. I am thinking of filling it up with some kind of media that will help with de nitrification

Unread 02/06/2017, 08:52 PM   #196
Xandernfs
Registered Member

Quote:
Vectors is calibrated to 80% of power = max, then I run it at 45% (which is really 45% of 80%). The fuge is ok... I initially thought of it as a way to boost pods in display. It has come in handy though for keeping fish that are misbehaving or need some time to fatten up post qt. I am thinking of filling it up with some kind of media that will help with de nitrification

The more I think about it, the more I like your design as opposed to the bottom which we talked about earlier. I'm still on the fence running a reactor BEFORE the fuge and not after since the cheato would want some of those nutrients.

Xandernfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2017, 05:50 AM   #197
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandernfs View Post
The more I think about it, the more I like your design as opposed to the bottom which we talked about earlier. I'm still on the fence running a reactor BEFORE the fuge and not after since the cheato would want some of those nutrients.
Best bet would be to get a small pump to feed the fuge then. That leaves you room to run a gfo reactor independently if you wish.

Unread 02/07/2017, 09:21 AM   #198
mystikal
Registered Member

I haven't even calibrated the Vectra yet lol...it's running at 40% ATM with the split nozzle.

Unread 02/07/2017, 10:03 AM   #199
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
What setting is the Vectra on?
And how is the refugium going? Can you take some pictures? I'm trying to plan ahead lol

Some pics of the fuge
So I have a tee from the vectra the feeds my phosban reactor, currently running rowphos

Then the return from the rowphos is hooked to 3 different elbows w/ flex hose, this take the water across and to the back of the sump, up the outside of the fuge/stock ato, across the top of the fuge and into the bottom of the fuge. Ugly but works

The lowest bulkhead in the fuge is connected to a flex house that runs into return chamber

Then the emergency bulkhead just had a nozzle that points up a bit and angled towards the sump. This was a error I. My part. I should have drilled the main drain substantially lower than emergency drain but I messed up from my inexperience with drilling tanks. Right now the water does enter the emergency drain, so I have to mount the nozzle pointing up a bit to prevent water from draining from both bulkheads at the same time.

Right now, I just have some sand and rock rubble in the fuge, with a leopard wrasse that in trying to sell (a lot easier to catch them in fuge than in display).
Fuge has a little nano koralia pump that oscillates from on to off every 15 min via Apex controller. Also have a cheap led bar to light the fuge. Currently controlled by apex to turn on and off with main display lights... don't want to mess up the wrasse's circadian clock

In terms of pros vs cons... didn't see much growth on chaeto when I kept a ball on there. Didn't notice a big jump in pod populations in display, but my wrasses and fish would be consuming them. The only positive was the ability to catch fish in the display and temporarily house them in the fuge. Helped me keep a few fish in jail while new comers acclimate. Also great for holding fish you are planing to sell

Unread 02/07/2017, 10:29 AM   #200
tenurepro
Registered Member

Reefer 250 build

Update: problems of tinkering!
Ok, flash back to month 5.5; nitrates at 5 ppm, alk about 8.5 ramped up radions to 67%. Corals were coloring up and growing, things were looking good. I should have left things as is, but I like to tinker, and sometimes curiosity kills the cat (other times curious cats get PhDs and contribute to society, but likely not in reefkeeing)

So it started with a group buy for vibrant, the magic bullet / snake oil, cure for all nuisance algae. Who doesn't want that, right. At that time, I actually had very little gha... a few small batches on the rocks, but cuc and algae blenny was munching them down, so they were I check.
But I wanted to try vibrant. Did a couple of doses and GHA started to decline. Great, right, so continued. Literally a week in, I started seeing cyano pop up on the sand. My algae Blenny stated looking thinner. The cyano was pretty ugly, so continued dosing vibrant which is supposed to take care of cyano... this continued for a bit over a month. My Blenny died of starvation with no algae around, and so did several snails. Nitrates went from 5 to 10 (not sure why), sps which were coloring up started to lose their brilliance.
Stopped vibrant which seems to have upset the fine balance of the tank. I wanted to bring nitrates down without doing major water changes which can stress out the already stressed tank. Decided on nopox dosing. A week into it now with very minor doses (2 ml / day), I see some positive and negatives... nitrates are down to 5 ppm, cyano is on the decline. But I have white fuzz on the rocks and nasty white slime on the glass. And my filters clog every two days ! Classic carbon overdosing symptoms!

Three steps forward, 2 steps back
All is not lost. Fish still happy and sps are still growing, but are not looking as good as they did two month ago

Ok. Here is what I plan to do
1) gradually cut back nopox; goal is to discontinue its use in about 2 weeks
2) start doing regular water changes for nutrient export. I am not a big fan of large weekend water changes so opted with daily small (1.5 l) water changes. Some nice article about benefits of freq small changes vs large infrequent changes
3) stop trying / changing things and let the damn tank mature!!!

Ok... positives include apex working like a charm

Also, saw this cute little guy at a local LFS.

We don't usually get yellow tailed tamarin wrasses, so jumped at the opportunity. It is in day 4 of qt. Very active and heathy. Hunts around the tank with vigor but hasn't showed interest in prepared food. Hopefully the fish will start eating soon. I found that my leopards took about 4 to 5 days to start eating pellets. If the fish eats well, then I will do a prazi pro treatment in two weeks, then introduce to display 2 weeks after that

Last edited by tenurepro; 02/07/2017 at 10:36 AM.