Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2003, 07:33 PM   #76
fishpoo
Premium Member

horrible, so sorry to hear of this.
my dog too, eats everything. i feed her well but still will eat a dirty black bone from the street. i'm going to be much more careful from now on.

fishpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 08:54 PM   #77
CaptainCoral
Registered Member

Just found this. Horrible story. You're helping alot of people now which will help you feel much better sometime in the future. keep that chin up.

Current Tank Info: 55[QuarantineTank],75[softie,clown/anemone], and 180 AGA reefs
CaptainCoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 09:15 PM   #78
MtnDewMan
Premium Member

What a terrible thing to hear about. No words can ease the pain of your loss. They truly are a man's best friend.

BlennyBabe, so sorry to hear of your loss this past weekend as well ... how awful ...

MtnDewMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 10:18 PM   #79
phdezra
Premium Member

This is a very sad story. As a fish tank and dog owner, I feel for you. God bless...

Unread 03/03/2003, 10:24 PM   #80
Conniereef
Registered Member

Kevin's story will surely stay in all our minds whenever we are playing in our tanks.
One invaluable aid for minimizing hands-in-the-water time is a good pair of tongs. The cheap ones aren't worth much, but the "Aqua Tongs" (~$25) are great. They can be used to pick up a single polyp or a good-sized rock.
Gloves work well up to a point, but I usually end up in water deeper than the glove. I've tried the longer version, but they are too clumsy to pick up anything much smaller than a rock.

Conniereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 10:31 PM   #81
TippyToeX
Premium Member

So sorry to hear about your loss. If anything can be gained this thread is proof that your dogs death was not in vane. There has been much to learn and respect to be gained by hearing this.

TippyToeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 10:51 PM   #82
Diesel Man
Moved On

Thanks

Well I just got done bleaching my porch, so the dogs dont drink the rain water where the zoos fell. Its a good thing you posted this thread, you never know, you just never know. Greg

Diesel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 11:06 PM   #83
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Jeez, and I fragged a whole bunch of those things a couple weeks ago WITHOUT gloves!

Profoundly sorry to hear of your loss. If it's any consolation though, you probably saved more than a few others with this thread.

ToTM 3-03

Current Tank Info: Between tanks. Searching for a home
64Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2003, 11:30 PM   #84
Nano-Neophyte
Registered Member

Kevin, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. Thank you for having the courage to share your story so that we all can learn from your misfortune. I knew that zoos were toxic, but like many others here, I had no idea they were THAT toxic. I have a small child at home that is into everything ... you can bet I'll be far more careful when it comes to my tank and the colonies of zoos I work with from time to time.

Current Tank Info: 125G softies reef
Nano-Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 12:03 AM   #85
Saltlick
Registered Member

I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. I have a Beagle and a Jack Russell who will eat anything, even bees. Zoos are my favorite corals and a big reason for starting up a tank. Thank you so much for sharing this we would've never known the dangers if you hadn't posted your extremely sad experience.

I hope one day after you've heeled that you will be able to let another hound into your heart and family.

Saltlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 12:40 AM   #86
lllosingit
Registered Member

I just wanted to include something since most people on the board are dog and cat lovers and the basis of this thread is the tragedy that can happen to any of are pets.
A friend of mine lost an adorable Pomeranian to antifreeze poisoning.
Although we both knew that antifreeze is poisonous to dogs we never realized all the places it can be found.
We had spent the day looking at new homes and one home was not heated, what we did not realize is the fact that all the pipes had been filled with antifreeze including the toilet.
Well, as dogs will be dogs "Speedy" his Pom drank from the toilet when we were in a different room and passed that night.
It took several weeks before we found the source.
We would have never had figured it out except another friend had been through the exact same situation.
Another friend lost a pet cat to rat poison that a neighbor had put outside because he thought rats had been getting into his garbage.

There are many dangers lurking in our own homes that are easy to over look.
I have fish of course but I also have a cat and two birds.

Danger can be found in the most inconspicuous places, such as Teflon coated nonstick pans. If they are over heated the fumes will kill a bird instantly and can make cats and dogs and PEOPLE very sick.
How many of you have those cute little snow globes?
The liquid inside of the is actually ethylene glycol (antifreeze)
For those of you with dogs and cats here is a link to an article on antifreeze poisoning and the symptoms http://www.cah.com/library/antifreeze.html

lllosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 01:17 AM   #87
worf59
Registered Member

z28pwr

Yep, those carry the toxins. They appear to be protopalythoa, one type of zoanthid.

worf59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 03:50 AM   #88
fishfolly
Registered Member

Kevin,
What a tragic turn of events. I was completely ignorant re the toxicity of some of the corals I'm keeping. I truly appreciate your post, and offer my condolences.

Ed

fishfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 05:13 AM   #89
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

aweee poor dog.

Sorry you lost your dog to something seemingly harmless.

CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 07:07 AM   #90
K. Lee
Reefer

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about this.

With the Zoanthids or polyps in general, if you are touching them, moving them, spend a little extra time afterwards to wash your hands well, and don't put your hands in your mouth until you wash to be safe.

K. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 09:42 AM   #91
dennisthe
Registered Member

Sincerest condolences Kevin. Lost my "boys" (rotties) years back. Most difficult time in my life. Thanks for sharing and giving the heads up. My kids and I appreciate it. I as well as many know zoo's are toxic but didn't think they were THAT toxic.
Take care

dennisthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 10:57 AM   #92
Cakepro
Registered Member

What a sad thing to have happen to your beloved pet. I knew of zoanthids' toxic properties but have been half-assed about wearing gloves. I will certainly be more vigilant in the future when fragging zoo's.

And in regard to this:
Quote:
Originally posted by slipknottin
Anthony Calfo got "poisoned" by them three times (this is in his book on coral propogation)

The first time he wiped his hands in a towel after he was propogating the zoanthids and wiped his mouth with the towel when he finished. He said his mouth went completely numb and all he could taste was copper for two days.

The second time he was cutting the zoos with a razor, and as his hand was slipping he put the razor in his mouth... his sense of taste returned in a day.

The third time he ran out of clean towels and reached in his dirty towels bin and grabbed one... that time the sensation only lasted for a few hours.
On a side note, that is really freaking GROSS! Some people have a much higher tolerance for nasty than me. Dang, if not for the fact that it's just plain disgusting to get fish/coral-touched things on or near your face and mouth, wouldn't the sheer stench of fragged/distressed corals be repulsive enough to prevent such actions?

~ Sherri

Cakepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 11:07 AM   #93
skyedolphan
Premium Member

I am soo very sorry for your lose I cant imagine something that seems so normal behavior (I mean the dogs nose in the bucket)Thank Goodness you were able to realize what the culprit was at least you know that A LOT of good will come from this I know myself..I was going to frag my ZOOS today for the first time and I am one of those that never wear gloves That has now changed and it is thanks to your post I have been stung,bit and attacked in my tank but never paid any mind to it next day in the tank w/ bare hands again but after reading your post I have made a call to LFS and asked them to order the long gloves and I will be using latex gloves from here on out at all times w/ the tank I have 2 small children 1 who still nurses and I never thought of the toxins in my system from the tank.. What a huge wake up call Thank You so very much for taking the time to post this during your tragedy and my prays are out to you and your family ...

Current Tank Info: 120 mix reef basically a saving tank for unwanted or uncared for
skyedolphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 11:14 AM   #94
tleilaxu
Registered Member

This is truely tragic, so sorry...........In looking at all those silly dog pics, I only wish I wasn't allergic.

tleilaxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 11:19 AM   #95
carolina98
Premium Member

How very, very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the warning.

carolina98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 02:56 PM   #96
Wolverine
RC Mod

Wow, I'm jumping on here late, since I just saw this thread. Sorry to hear about your loss. It's a good reminder for us how careful we have to be when our dogs are around the tank stuff.

64Ivy, It's a good idea to try to wear gloves for fragging any corals at all. Along the same lines with assuming that all zoanthids are dangerous, I just treat all corals as potentially hazardous. If I'm wrong, I haven't really gone to that much trouble, and if I'm right, then it could save me a lot of trouble in the long run.

Dave

Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 03:43 PM   #97
TIGER SHARK
Registered Member

Im very sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for posting this information because I heard they might be toxic but I never knew they could be deadly toxic.

TIGER SHARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 05:57 PM   #98
vladzilb
Registered Member

Kevin,
so sorry to hear about your dog. I also have a Beagle and know that she loves to get into many things, it's just their nature. It just breaks my heart to hear a story like this.

BlennyBabe, I also feel for your loss as well. I don't know how many times my Beagle has escaped from the back yard. She even jumped out of the window of a moving car while I was taking her to the vet, coming out with only a minor cut on her head.

I wish the both of you only the best.

Vlad

vladzilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 06:54 PM   #99
clegggs
Registered Member

hi freind very very sorry about your family member i my self have 5 dogs and would hate for any to go through that COULD ANYONE PLEASE POST SOME PHOTOS SO I KNOW WHAT IM TO LOOK FOR I COULD ALREADY HAVE THESE AND I WOULD REALLY LKE TO KNOW SO I CAN START TAKING EXTRA PRECOUTIONS THANK YOU yours sincerly ian

Current Tank Info: 2x 5ftx2ftx2ft tanks
clegggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2003, 07:34 PM   #100
playa
Moved On

Kevin I have been reading the show of sympathy from the many reefers posting on this forum for the last couple of days.

Tonight I have tears in my eyes as I am typing here. I am a man. I have feelings, I am very sentimental and I am just so sad with your loss. My wife and I have Tiger Woods(our red head amazon) and our reef tank. Amazing how we get so attached to animals. Dogs are a very special type of pets. The give us so much love and expect so little in return.

I hope you and your family get another dog as soon as possible and so that he or she would fill the empty spot in your lives.

Our deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Luis and Sai
:-(

playa is offline   Reply With Quote