Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/05/2017, 05:56 PM   #1
LennyD4
Registered Member

40g Breeder / 20 long sump Reef Build!

After being out of the hobby for about 4 years I am starting on a new build albeit smaller than my last tank. I started the hobby with a 65g /20l sump that I had to break down back in 2013. I would like to go bigger with this one but the fiancee has the last word of course. So here are my plans:

I will cycle this tank properly but also use Dr. Tims One and Only just because I used it on my first tank as a buffer and it worked very well. After the tank is cycled I will slowly start adding Fish and of course a CuC . I won't get into coral until probably the 6th month mark or so. This so far is my equipment list:

Display-
1. 40B Tank . Looking for a drilled tank for Herbie Overflow with 1 return. All 3/4 fittings? Maybe 2 Returns?
2. (2) PP-4 Jebao Powerheads ( Would love 2- MP10s but I can't see myself spending that much money just on the flow)
3. 40 lbs of BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock
4. 10 lbs of BRS Shelf rock
5. 30lbs of "live sand"
6. ReefBuilder Photon V2 24" LED

As for my stand, I will build one DIY. Probably all 2x4s and cover the exterior with stained pieces of wood from pallets made out of maple. ( Have seen some pretty sweet ones on the interwebs.)

Sump-
1. 20 long with three chambers
a. First chamber will be for the Drain/ Emergency and Protein Skimmer ( Possibly filter sock if space allows). For the Skimmer I think I will be going with the Reef Octopus 150SSS for space reasons. First chamber will be followed by 3 baffles for " bubble trap."
b. Second chamber will be a refugium with some left over rock and a ball of Chaeto. Still have yet to decide what kind of light I will use to grow the Chaeto but that will come later anyway once I get the aquarium established.
c. Third chamber will be a Sicce Syncra 3.0 Return pump plumbed wil flex tube into the return/returns. Should I maybe T this pump off to send some flow back into the refugium for tumbling?
2. Heater in the refuge. Haven't decided on which one yet.
3. Tunze Osmolator ATO ( hopefully I can find a space to fit atleast a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water

Extra equipment:

1. Spectra Pure 90G RO/DI
2. (2) 5 gallon jugs for RO/DI and Salt mix
3. Heater for mixing
4. Hydor Koralia nano for mixing

Please give me all advice / criticisms you can think of!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

LennyD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

Looks like you are of to a good start. I have 2 pp-4s on my 40 and they are great. What are your goals for this tank(mixed, softies, sps etc.)?

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 03:51 AM   #3
LennyD4
Registered Member

Mixed definitely. I would say light on the SPS though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Unread 09/06/2017, 06:19 AM   #4
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitworm13 View Post
Looks like you are of to a good start. I have 2 pp-4s on my 40 and they are great. What are your goals for this tank(mixed, softies, sps etc.)?
Just curious how did you plumb your 40? 2 drains? 2 returns or 1? If so what size ?

Unread 03/14/2018, 10:15 PM   #5
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I did my old 40B with 1 drain and 1 return but having a back up drain is a very good idea. Imo the 150SSS is too much for a 40B. I ran a NW110 on my 40B the later a SCA 302 both worked very well. I am using the150SSS on my 75g build and its bigger than I thought it would be. The 110SSS would be a much better choice. BM Curve 5 is also a good choice.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 04:17 AM   #6
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
I did my old 40B with 1 drain and 1 return but having a back up drain is a very good idea. Imo the 150SSS is too much for a 40B. I ran a NW110 on my 40B the later a SCA 302 both worked very well. I am using the150SSS on my 75g build and its bigger than I thought it would be. The 110SSS would be a much better choice. BM Curve 5 is also a good choice.
I already purchased the 150 SSS. When I removed it from the box I was shocked how big it was. It will be good for a future upgrade if that happens though LOL

Unread 03/15/2018, 08:52 AM   #7
GoNoles
Registered Member

No doubt! I bought the NWB-110 for my 40B build and was amazed at its size when i got it!

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 08:54 AM   #8
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyD4 View Post
I already purchased the 150 SSS. When I removed it from the box I was shocked how big it was. It will be good for a future upgrade if that happens though LOL

You will always want a bigger tank, LOL. I haven't even filled my 40B with water and I already want a 100! Just don't have room in the living room.

Unread 03/15/2018, 08:57 AM   #9
GoNoles
Registered Member

LennyD4, did you end up going with the Photon? I'm torn between that and the Maxspect RazorX. Just curious if you had any pros/cons with the light?

Unread 03/15/2018, 09:17 AM   #10
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNoles View Post
LennyD4, did you end up going with the Photon? I'm torn between that and the Maxspect RazorX. Just curious if you had any pros/cons with the light?
That's the last piece of equipment I have yet to purchase. I don't even have the tank with water in it yet. I have been working so much this winter and I'm in New Jersey so water testing the tank outside won't go too well. I have the plumbing done for the tank and I have had some dry Rock cooking in a brute trash can for probably 3 months now.

Unread 03/15/2018, 10:18 AM   #11
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
That's the last piece of equipment I have yet to purchase. I don't even have the tank with water in it yet. I have been working so much this winter and I'm in New Jersey so water testing the tank outside won't go too well. I have the plumbing done for the tank and I have had some dry Rock cooking in a brute trash can for probably 3 months now.

Seems like you and I are in the same boat. I am starting with the LifeRock from CaribSea and was shipped the wrong product. Supposed to get the new rock on Monday. I was able to pressure test my system with worked marvelously! I am actually running a Bean Animal to the sump. All I have left to buy is my light and my Algae Barn starter pack.
I am going to do the black-out cycle like BRS did on their tank where the only light will be the 'fuge light for the first month so i guess I have a little time. I will definitely be following your build, we are both 40B startups!

Unread 03/15/2018, 10:26 AM   #12
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Seems like you and I are in the same boat. I am starting with the LifeRock from CaribSea and was shipped the wrong product. Supposed to get the new rock on Monday. I was able to pressure test my system with worked marvelously! I am actually running a Bean Animal to the sump. All I have left to buy is my light and my Algae Barn starter pack.
I am going to do the black-out cycle like BRS did on their tank where the only light will be the 'fuge light for the first month so i guess I have a little time. I will definitely be following your build, we are both 40B startups!
I will also be cycling without the lights. No need to waste electricity on nothing. I still have yet to buy anything for my fuge light. What did you go with? On my tank years ago I had a regular home depot clip on light with a LED bulb in it. Seemed to grow chaeto just fine.

Unread 03/15/2018, 11:43 AM   #13
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
I will also be cycling without the lights. No need to waste electricity on nothing. I still have yet to buy anything for my fuge light. What did you go with? On my tank years ago I had a regular home depot clip on light with a LED bulb in it. Seemed to grow chaeto just fine.

Just a HD clip on with a plant bulb from Amazon ..https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Hydr...um+plant+bulbs

Unread 03/15/2018, 12:16 PM   #14
GoNoles
Registered Member

It's funny, I also did a stand using reclaimed pallet wood. I have the stand already in the house. I am doing a peninsula system in the living room so wire management is my biggest issue!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Unread 03/15/2018, 09:49 PM   #15
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Quote:

Yeah I had the same reaction. Was like wow thats big.....ger than I expected, my fuge just got smaller.

Can you return the 150 a d exchange it for a 110? If you bought it new that should not be a problem. The 150 is way over rated for a 40B and I expect you will have issues with it keeping a stable foam head. The 110SSS not only will get you some money back but is a perfect fit for a 40B imo

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.

Last edited by DesertReefT4r; 03/15/2018 at 09:56 PM.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 11:34 AM   #16
cedwards04
Registered Member

I just finished my 40b/20l build. I did a herbie overflow. I drilled 3 3/4" holes in the bottom of the tank and made my overflow box out of glass I had cut at Lowe's. 2 holes are for my drain, one is my return. The return is T'd at the top and I have loc line angling the 2 nozzles at a 45 degree angle towards the front corners.

I am running a tunze 9004 skimmer, sicce 2.0 return pump, 2 jebao pp4's, and a cobalt neotherm 150watt heater. Tunze ATO as well. Do to my very small skimmer footprint I was able to add an extra baffle in my sump and incorporate a 4 3/4 gallon fresh water reservoir. I have plenty of pics but have trouble uploading them from my phone. Feel free to ask questions or email me at cedwards04@gmail.com for pics.

I went with 40 lbs of dry rock from billy's reef supply, and 40lbs of special grade dry sand. I cured/cycled the dry rock/sand over several months in a plastic tub with a heater and pump while I worked on building the stand and tank. That way once the tank was ready, everything was already cycled and ready to go.

cedwards04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 12:37 PM   #17
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwards04 View Post
I just finished my 40b/20l build. I did a herbie overflow. I drilled 3 3/4" holes in the bottom of the tank and made my overflow box out of glass I had cut at Lowe's. 2 holes are for my drain, one is my return. The return is T'd at the top and I have loc line angling the 2 nozzles at a 45 degree angle towards the front corners.

I am running a tunze 9004 skimmer, sicce 2.0 return pump, 2 jebao pp4's, and a cobalt neotherm 150watt heater. Tunze ATO as well. Do to my very small skimmer footprint I was able to add an extra baffle in my sump and incorporate a 4 3/4 gallon fresh water reservoir. I have plenty of pics but have trouble uploading them from my phone. Feel free to ask questions or email me at cedwards04@gmail.com for pics.

I went with 40 lbs of dry rock from billy's reef supply, and 40lbs of special grade dry sand. I cured/cycled the dry rock/sand over several months in a plastic tub with a heater and pump while I worked on building the stand and tank. That way once the tank was ready, everything was already cycled and ready to go.
Sweet! What light are you running on your tank?

Unread 03/17/2018, 07:13 AM   #18
cedwards04
Registered Member

Currently running a 16" sb reef light bc I already had it from a previous setup. I'm not sure yet if it's going to be big enough for this tank. When I first put it on I had about 6" of tank on either side that was fairly dark. I pulled the light apart and removed all the led lenses and now I have pretty even coverage across the whole tank but I'm sure light penetration suffered. I just did that yesterday so it hasn't been long enough to see how the corals respond. I did turn the intensity up a tad to help make up for it. Mine is only lps at the moment so I don't have high lighting demands. Hoping it will be ok.

Unread 03/17/2018, 11:33 AM   #19
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwards04 View Post
Currently running a 16" sb reef light bc I already had it from a previous setup. I'm not sure yet if it's going to be big enough for this tank. When I first put it on I had about 6" of tank on either side that was fairly dark. I pulled the light apart and removed all the led lenses and now I have pretty even coverage across the whole tank but I'm sure light penetration suffered. I just did that yesterday so it hasn't been long enough to see how the corals respond. I did turn the intensity up a tad to help make up for it. Mine is only lps at the moment so I don't have high lighting demands. Hoping it will be ok.
Yeah, the light i had won't work on my new tank. I'm doing a black-out cycle so I won't need new light for a month. I'm looking at either the ReefBreeder Photon V2 or the Maxspect Razor X. Haven't seen enough info on the Razor X plus you need an optional controller to use your iPhone.

Unread 03/18/2018, 06:27 AM   #20
cedwards04
Registered Member

Can't help you there. I don't really have any experience with either of those lights. I can tell you that my corals do very well under the sb reef light. My only concern with it is longevity. I have gotten mixed reviews on how long to expect it to live. Time will tell. I'm thinking of upgrading go a pair of kessils when it dies.

Unread 05/02/2018, 04:51 AM   #21
LennyD4
Registered Member

Wow just read back on my original plans and this has seriously changed. First ofd this build took me forever because of the winter.

I ended up going with a Bean Animal drain system using the Modular Marine overflow and drilled two 3/4 returns. I went with the RO 110SSS because the 150 was way too big for this small of a tank. I have had water in the tank for about a week now. Dropped half a shrimp in it and some Bio Spira. Not expecting an insta cycle. I think I may have a pic of my aquascape....

Unread 05/02/2018, 11:32 AM   #22
GoNoles
Registered Member

Sweet Lenny. Glad to see you back on track!

Just took off the wrapping from my month-long blackout cycle. It is finally waiting for some critters. I have my old Maxspect Razor 100 on it temporarily but trying to decide on new fixture. Torn between Maxspect RazorX or Reefbreeders..

Unread 05/02/2018, 11:55 AM   #23
LennyD4
Registered Member

Quote:
Sweet Lenny. Glad to see you back on track!

Just took off the wrapping from my month-long blackout cycle. It is finally waiting for some critters. I have my old Maxspect Razor 100 on it temporarily but trying to decide on new fixture. Torn between Maxspect RazorX or Reefbreeders..

Awesome. My Reefbreeders 32 V2+ is out for delivery right now!

Unread 05/02/2018, 12:44 PM   #24
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Please give me all advice / criticisms you can think of!

I don't have any advises as it seems you have a good plan.

Out of curiosity, what would be a ball-park cost figure doing something like this?

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 02:52 PM   #25
GoNoles
Registered Member

You gotta let me know everything on that Reefbreeder!!