Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Sethjamto
Registered Member

Cyano on sand bed only

I have had this for the past few weeks. It doesn't get worse at all and gets better at night with the lights off, only to come back the next day. It is on the sandbed only and none is on the LR. I tested my nitrates today and they were at zero. The tank is only about 2 months old. Is this just a new tank syndrome that will go away? How can I control it?

You can also see on the top left a green algae on the LR. This has been there for a few weeks also, but in past days has darkened up a lot. It started almost neon in color. It is not a hair algae at all and is not slimy either. Also, it has not grown any in a few weeks...just changed from bright to a darker green.

Thanks in advance!

Unread 07/08/2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Yomidr19
Registered Member

tagging along on this one.

Yomidr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 03:57 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

In a 2 month old tank you can expect algae and cyano blooms as the tank matures. I would take a couple of possible steps to help limit it. First off added flow will help, cyano loves low flow areas. Secondly additional clean-up crew members may help. Nassarius snails will help keep the sand bed clean, a variety of Astraea, Trochus, Cerith and Nerite Snails will help the rocks. As always, watch your nitrites and phosphate levels as these are the fuel that they feed on.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Fish_King_25
Reef Addict

I had the same issue in my tank 6 months ago or so...15 Nassarius, 3 trochus, 3 turbos and an emerald crab and my cyano is gone. You doing water changes?

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

29g mixed reef lps, sps, and softies, 10g sump/fuge, cadlights pls-100 skimmer, LifeReef overflow with Mag 7 return pump, Tunze ATO, 2 Koralias, 4x24w T5HO ATIs w/ moonlight LEDs

Current Tank Info: Green Chromis, Yellow Clown Goby, Green Mandarin, Diamond Goby, Percula Clown, and CUC
Fish_King_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Sethjamto
Registered Member

I have a decent CUC, but might add a few more. I. Also will redirect the flow towards the front bottom a little as long as it doesn't stir up the sand too much.

I do 5g water changes every other week which equals abot a 20% change. Other levels look good, though I need a phosphate test kit. Nitrates are real low, nearly zero on my API test kit.

I'm hoping this, along with more age, will smooth it out.

What about the green on the LR? Thoughts?

Unread 07/08/2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Croniss
Registered Member

I have the same issue with the green algae on my rocks I dismissed it as a coralline algae when I found out coralline can come in many different colors. I may be completely wrong but the algae just exploded neon all over my rocks and was neither slimy or easily removed. It has since darkend and in some areas disappeared. I following along I case this gets answered as well

Croniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Sethjamto
Registered Member

Ttt

Any idea on the green?

Unread 07/10/2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Bradshaww
Registered Member

I had a huge cyano outbreak about 2 months into my tanks life as well (basically my entire tank was covered). Ironically it was thickest on the back glass where one of my powerheads was hitting. What worked for me was adding GAC and adding a better skimmer. Also when ever I did water changes, I made sure that I syphoned out as much as a could. It slowly went away, took about a month and a half. I have a tiny bit on the back glass of my tank but its slowly going away. Funny that the Cyano choked out the little bit of hair algae on one of my rocks. Guess im just lucky because cyano is easier to get rid of than hair algae. At least in my experience.

Bradshaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2012, 12:58 AM   #9
SushiGirl
Premium Member

The neon green is the beginning of coralline.
What kind of water are you using? We had the exact same thing when we stored our RO/DI water in containers that leached something that raised the TDS from 0 when it went in to 28. Once we did a water change with 0 TDS water it went away.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote