Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 06/25/2018, 01:18 AM   #1
32blownhemi
Registered Member

What's better, sand or gravel?

What's best to use sand, small gravel or large gravel? Two people at lfs gave me to two different answers! And both sounded convincing... I'm looking for easiest to keep clean. One Betta in a 12 gallon tank... Thank You! Bill

Unread 06/25/2018, 04:30 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Given that you are wanting the easiest to keep clean and for a freshwater betta the "best" is likely larger gravel as you can easily vacuum it on a routine basis and don't have to worry about it being sucked up into the vacuum..

Unread 06/25/2018, 04:49 AM   #3
32blownhemi
Registered Member

Thank You Mcgyvr! Are there any disadvantages to larger gravel? Bill

Unread 06/25/2018, 07:53 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32blownhemi View Post
Thank You Mcgyvr! Are there any disadvantages to larger gravel? Bill
Sort of..
It has far less surface area compared to finer grain material and thus cannot sustain nearly the same bacterial population..

It also allows "detritus" (fish poop,etc...) to settle down into it thus requiring vacuuming to remove it vs it being kept suspended in the water column where it may be removed or captured via mechanical filtration..
However... Unless you change your mechanical filtration often (every few days) the net result is basically the same..
If you have 1 pound of decomposing poop spread out all over a tank vs captured in a small corner its still the same..

Unread 06/25/2018, 01:24 PM   #5
32blownhemi
Registered Member

Thank You Mcgyvr! Ah ha, so there is a downside to large gravel... I actually like the look of sand better & If it's better for my guy then I'll use it. I don't mind keeping the filter clean... Thanks again, Bill

Unread 06/25/2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Skittlz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32blownhemi View Post
What's best to use sand, small gravel or large gravel? Two people at lfs gave me to two different answers! And both sounded convincing... I'm looking for easiest to keep clean. One Betta in a 12 gallon tank... Thank You! Bill
well the best thing about a single beta is that they get along with other fish, just not other bettas... so in addition to the gravel you could add a small cleaning fish if youd like. i prefer sand but it takes a second to settle as you set up the tank. but the sand would work as an additional filter for the ecosystem. But note that disturbing the sandbed after it is established could potentially put the filtered toxins into the water....

Closed Thread