Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2018, 09:25 AM   #1
scubafrog56
Registered Member

Scubafrog's First Custom Build!

First post, been hanging out for a while with my 20gal innovative marine fusion but ready to move up for my birthday this month! Would love constructive criticism!

Intended Build:

Tank: 30x18x18 custom tank - mostly recycled 8mm glass but with a 6mm Low Iron front face and black yoga mat for self-leveling. Any issues with mixing 6mm and 8mm? is 18in too high for 6mm on the front? Planning to use the GE SCS1200 Black for the construction (got used to black seams with the IM Fusion)

Light: TBD but leaning towards the Kessil 360we Tuna Blue. Not planning anything TOO light demanding. Would one be enough for 30in? (alternatively could run x2 Current Orbit Marine 24in as this is my current setup if you think that would suffice for a mixed reef tank)

Sump: Custom 20gal long

Return Pump: Jebao DCT-4000 (1056GPH) – Figure If I can pull half that GPH with my head height and plumbing I should be ok with ~10x turnover.

Skimmer: TBD but leaning towards the SC Aquariums SCA-301 Protein Skimmer rated for 65 gal (unless you tell me it’s trash)

Other: 100w & 75w heaters, Reefkeeper Lite, x2 Power heads, Tunze ATO, and whatever else I am forgetting

Here are my additional color coded questions based on my attached Planning diagram:

White – Do you have any thoughts on the Herbie E-Line Trickle method? (Would prefer to not have to go full Bean)

Red – The gate value included here is designed to allow me to tune the balance between the two return pipes to equalize flow into the tank. Thoughts? Are two returns even needed? (got so used to it with my IM Fusion)

Purple – I’ve read a few places that check valves are not needed, risky to use, and prone to clogging up. Is this something most of you would include at this point in the plumbing?

Blue – Is 4.5 gallons of RODI Freshwater even adequate for a 50gal system? Will I be refilling this weekly? (currently run a 2.5gal FW reserve on my 20gal and fill it up maybe twice a month in WA State)

Green – Is this even enough room to effectively grow enough algae to make a difference in a 50 gallon system? Is the black Plexiglas separator to hide the bio filter materials from the light needed? (was thinking this would help keep down the algae on them). Should I even combine Macro algae and bio filtration in the same section?

Thank you in advance for any help and support! Look forward to updating this as often as I can!

scubafrog56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 05:01 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Assuming you are planning on a rimless tank you should be using 10mm glass to meet the typically accepted safety factors..
6mm is way too thin
8mm is fine if eurobraced/trim is applied..

For me its either bean or nothing as far as drain systems go..
Check valves are just an accident waiting to happen.. Multiple anti-siphon holes is all you need..

Unread 05/07/2018, 12:51 PM   #3
JTL
Registered Member

6mm is a no go and 1/2" all around would be better.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, plumbing, reef, sump