Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2016, 03:11 PM   #76
siliconinja
Registered Member

Posting photos of aquascape inspiration, open to input! Ordering Real Reef Rock for the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2016, 07:23 PM   #77
siliconinja
Registered Member

Back at it! Fixing an electrical issue.. I ran a 20a circuit to the column, and took a shortcut: only put in a single duplex outlet. In one column.

Needless to say, I needed to take that out and replace it with a quad, and also run another quad to the other column.

I called in some professionals for help on this one, tight working quarters and I'm a novice with electric. Also, they had a 4" hole saw and I didn't want to buy one.

I'm also installing the kessil lights. As a reminder I swapped to 3x a360n's for the tank. Possibly a bit of overkill, but I wanted a good amount of light coverage in the tank. I needed the 4" hole saw to sink the lights into the soffit.

Onto the pics!

Unread 12/14/2016, 08:15 PM   #78
siliconinja
Registered Member

Unread 12/14/2016, 10:08 PM   #79
siliconinja
Registered Member

Unread 12/14/2016, 10:09 PM   #80
siliconinja
Registered Member

Rimless 120g TSVBI Dream Build

Took all of about 10 minutes to program the apex for color and intensity throughout the day. Love the apex! I'll post my code that I stick with in a couple of days as a tweak it!

Here's a quick YouTube Video of the Apex control on the tank https://youtu.be/sdZ06ykBtkg

Last edited by siliconinja; 12/14/2016 at 10:35 PM.
Unread 12/14/2016, 11:13 PM   #81
luvreefs23
Registered Member

Just did the rock in my 120 with real reef rock.

It's about 85lbs. Water and sand goes in this weekend

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 10:49 PM   #82
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvreefs23 View Post
Just did the rock in my 120 with real reef rock.

Awesome aquascape! It came in dry? I was going to use http://realreefrock.com

They say they put the rock through a curing process, parasite-free. I was assuming it would be live, but I could be wrong.

Your fish will love to swim through your rockwork!

Unread 12/16/2016, 12:52 AM   #83
siliconinja
Registered Member

I drained the tank using a siphon hose, two actually. That made it pretty quick to get about 75% of the way drained. I then used a small pump hooked to a long hose to drain down to 90-95% empty. I used a shop vac and paper towels for the rest.

Just to be sure, I wiped everything down with RODI and dried it.

I then added a T, some shut-off valves to the 1/4" ATO Line running through the ceiling, and down the column to the sump. I then made a temporary connection after the RODI, but below the solenoid for the storage container. I'm leaving the tank to fill while I'm here and at home.

Next up: bringing to temp, and adding salt. Then adding my filtration components back into the sump and wiring the pumps into place. I'll then start the cycle with the bioreactor while I wait for my rock to arrive.

Still deciding how I want to cycle the tank. The shrimp is the most natural way, but I don't want the smell. Phantom feeding is an option, but the food can spike phosphates. I'm using brightwell salt, so I might go with their starter system.. Microbacter7 and FaStart-M

Unread 12/16/2016, 04:34 AM   #84
luvreefs23
Registered Member

I had some from an old tank that was dry in the garage and just ran gfo with freshwater for 2 months along with water changes and let it dry so I could take my time with rockwork and the glue with accelerator and zip ties really held together super strong when dry. I'm just doing to cycle the tank again, wanted to have my rockwork exactly the way I wanted it so waiting for a cycle is worth it to me.

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2016, 05:24 PM   #85
fishdip22
Registered Member

Is it full yet?

fishdip22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2016, 11:11 PM   #86
siliconinja
Registered Member

I agree with you completely LuvReefs, best to wait and plan to get things just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip22 View Post
Is it full yet?

It is! Thanks for leaving a message Fishdip, love to see notifications on TapATalk for this thread. Keeps me motivated and my standards for work high.

I shut off the water supply overnight while I slept because I didn't have a spare float valve or anything. I was able to work from home today so I allowed it to fill all day. While it filled, I was able to perfectly level the height of both MaxSpect Gyres using the water level.

By dinner I had the water level just right, I re-connected the ATO line and started up the osmolator to maintain the level I wanted (a hair below the bottom of the probe holder)

While I was waiting for it to fill, I cleaned up my wiring the best I could as what is connected now is in for the long haul. I installed a low-voltage battery backup made for routers, and the air pump for the bio reactor.

I left the pump for the bio reactor in while tightening up the cabling, and ran it once the water level was ready for some extra flow in the middle section of the sump while the salt mixes in. I also left the filter socks out for now, I didn't want them to become traps for the larger particles of salt.. better to let them mix in properly.

I fired up the the heaters, they both work great in tandem now that the electrical issue is fixed up. I also removed the ph probe from its solution, and installed it in the probe holder.

I let the tank temp get up to 72 degrees and added enough salt for 120g. I did this in a precise manner so I can get an idea of total system volume with the tank empty.. which should be easy by calculating the total weight of salt required to hit 1.025 at 78 degrees. NeoMarine says it requires 134.5g per 1 gallon.

I can then work my way backwards when adding rock, sand, etc and measure the displacement to get back to my ATO level line.

I kind of want to know exact system volume for my own satisfaction, but also for future dosing or additive calculations.

Unread 12/16/2016, 11:34 PM   #87
siliconinja
Registered Member

Interesting visual of the salt being added to the water.

NeoMarine states not to get wet hands in contact with the salt, as it creates heat upon contact with water. Although my heaters are warming up the water, you can clearly see a sharp increase in temperature at the same time the PH spiked (time salt was added to the water).

They also state they don't market themselves based upon quick dissolving or quick clarity, they state the product needs 24 hours to mix completely and allow the PH to settle out. Although it's only been about 1.5hrs, you can see the PH dropping.

Unread 12/17/2016, 03:58 AM   #88
siliconinja
Registered Member

I've caught a bit of insomnia, so while I'm up at 4:30am I decided to finish adding salt.

I've added a total of exactly 39lb of salt to get to 1.025. Using the metric provided by Brightwell that seems correct: 126.305g of current water volume.

Using a tank calculator at calculatorsoup.com, using interior measurements of the 4x2x2 tank with 3/4" glass and a filled height of 21.5", I get a filled volume of 97.64 gallons in the display.

That leaves about 28.6 gallons in the plumbing and sump.

Probably time to get some sleep

Unread 12/17/2016, 07:25 AM   #89
JonezNReef
Registered Member

And Then There Was WATER! Your tank is coming along very nicely and at a decent pace too. I like the idea of knowing the exact water volume you have in your tank. I will have to do this when I set up my new tank, because right now with my current one its a guessing game. Also those lights look great like that above the tank framed out like that. I prefer that look over the goose neck set ups not they are bad.

Have you decided how you are going to cycle it? I always do the shrimp method except I put the shrimp in a filter media bag and weigh it down so it doesn't move or make as large of a mess, plus it doesn't smell much. I also add bottle bacteria after about 2 and 4 weeks of cycling just to help it out some.

JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/17/2016, 04:56 PM   #90
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
And Then There Was WATER! Your tank is coming along very nicely and at a decent pace too. I like the idea of knowing the exact water volume you have in your tank. I will have to do this when I set up my new tank, because right now with my current one its a guessing game. Also those lights look great like that above the tank framed out like that. I prefer that look over the goose neck set ups not they are bad.

Have you decided how you are going to cycle it? I always do the shrimp method except I put the shrimp in a filter media bag and weigh it down so it doesn't move or make as large of a mess, plus it doesn't smell much. I also add bottle bacteria after about 2 and 4 weeks of cycling just to help it out some.

Thank you JonezNReef, it feels like a trickle pace. Feels good to have others along for the ride!

I haven't figured out how I want to cycle. I did order some dr. Tim's along with some ammonia. I read something about shrimp providing some other beneficial organics, but ammonia being faster and more precise.

I'd love to get some other thoughts, I'm pretty much ready to get started on the cycle! Today I did the finish install for the bioreactor. I think it looks pretty good!

I just needed to extend the drain tube again to avoid the pump recirculating the water through the reactor.

Unread 12/17/2016, 09:50 PM   #91
JonezNReef
Registered Member

I am definetly along for the ride. I'm living vicariously though your well documented build and taking some notes to help with my setup that I should be able to start around Christmas in hopes mine can be half as clean and appealing to the eye.
As for cycling I've considered the ammonia approach but not a fan of just how precise you have to be. Of course I am a bit lazy and this hobbies all about patients LOL. But if you do go that route I would like to see how it works for you.

Unread 12/18/2016, 12:14 AM   #92
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
I am definetly along for the ride. I'm living vicariously though your well documented build and taking some notes to help with my setup that I should be able to start around Christmas in hopes mine can be half as clean and appealing to the eye.
As for cycling I've considered the ammonia approach but not a fan of just how precise you have to be. Of course I am a bit lazy and this hobbies all about patients LOL. But if you do go that route I would like to see how it works for you.

Congrats on your build! You should definitely do a build thread, id follow it. Best part of this build was picking all the components and starting on assembly with everything on hand. Also up there, doing this build thread. It's cool to have it documented, I have all the photos in proper progression to show others offline. It was also good to get all my ideas out in one place, with comments / input from other reefers it is a plus!

You've helped me decide on the cycling: I have the biocube 29 observation tank I want to cycle quickly, so I'll give the Dr Tim's a try there exactly as his instructions describe.

On the main display, I'll do a traditional cycle using pure ammonia at 4ppm as a sterile tank.. basically as it is setup now: no rock, no sand, no filter socks. Just the bioreactor, a stable temp, and daily testing of ammonia / nitrite / nitrate.

I've had my mind on fish lately. I'll be adding the following fish in order:
1. 2 Tank-Raised Clownfish
2. 4-6 Purple Firefish
3. Dottyback (wife's pick)
4. 5-7 Blue Reef Chromis

I'm planning on setting up for TTM for ich beginning with the firefish, and prazipro in the biocube during observation beginning with the clownfish.

Since the main tank will take some time as a result of starting without any seeded substrate, I'll occupy my time caring for the clownfish and aquascaping.

I'll build the aquascape, leaving it in 3-5 large chunks to be glued in the display. Since the bacteria will be building a concentration in the bioreactor, they will quickly populate the rockwork even when added at the end of the cycle. Once the aquascape is done I'll leave the rock to soak in saltwater with a heater and pump for a couple of weeks while the cycle comes to an end.

At the end of the cycle, I'll add the rock and glue it, add the sand, and do the final ~90% water change to close out the cycle. Then I can add the clowns, and some marine pure blocks to the sump. I'll use those in the observation tank when the firefish complete TTM.

I'll also occupy my time cleaning and organizing the back room so all my reefing supplies are easy to find. I also need to add some plywood by the sink in the back room, that sprayer is powerful and I'm getting some overspray on the back of the exposed drywall, not a good thing.

Back to fish: I'd like the star of the tank to be a blonde naso
I'm sure there will be other fish too, I'm open to suggestions or opinions!

Unread 12/18/2016, 02:42 AM   #93
siliconinja
Registered Member

It's been about 12 hours and I'm starting to see some media movement in the bioreactor.

At first the media was moving up and down in the reactor as a solid mass, almost at the pace of breathing. Now it's moving up and down a bit shallower and at a more rapid pace. And a few pieces of media are starting to dance around or sink at the bottom of the mass.

It's coming alive

Unread 12/18/2016, 09:37 AM   #94
siliconinja
Registered Member

What a difference a night makes!

The media is really starting to spin now. There is a large group of media sitting on the bottom plate and not in suspension yet, so I adjusted the water level higher using the gate valve to create some room to lift the media into a fluidized state.

Unread 12/18/2016, 12:56 PM   #95
JonezNReef
Registered Member

That's cool. I haven't used a bio reactor but have been curios of them for a while. Fish stock looks good. Hopefully the Naso won't be too big in the end but definitely one of my favorite tangs. I have considered getting one too but my wife wants a blue tang instead. (And I'm not trying to be the tang police lol). Also if you do get the dottyback be careful because I had one and he ate every shrimp I ever added and also would go for my hermits too. But if hermits are cheap and if you don't plan on shrimp they are a cool fish and full of personality. I was devastated when mine died durning TTM when my fish got inch from what I'm guessing came in on a frag.

As for me I do have a build thread I am just moving at a super slow pace and I DIY as much as I can because I can't afford all the fancy things most people get LOL.
Here is my new build http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2611735

Unread 12/18/2016, 01:56 PM   #96
marleesan
Registered Member

In the end, you will end up with one fire fish. Also, the naso tang will grow way too large. The only tangs I would recommend are bristle tooth tangs

marleesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2016, 05:43 PM   #97
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
That's cool. I haven't used a bio reactor but have been curios of them for a while. Fish stock looks good. Hopefully the Naso won't be too big in the end but definitely one of my favorite tangs. I have considered getting one too but my wife wants a blue tang instead. (And I'm not trying to be the tang police lol). Also if you do get the dottyback be careful because I had one and he ate every shrimp I ever added and also would go for my hermits too. But if hermits are cheap and if you don't plan on shrimp they are a cool fish and full of personality. I was devastated when mine died durning TTM when my fish got inch from what I'm guessing came in on a frag.

As for me I do have a build thread I am just moving at a super slow pace and I DIY as much as I can because I can't afford all the fancy things most people get LOL.
Here is my new build http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2611735

Awesome! I'm following you along, I like the clean in-tank build with some depth to the tank. Should look great! I respect the DIY

I haven't used a bioreactor before either, but it makes sense in theory. Combined with the Neptune dos for continuous water change it should be a good combo.

I'm sure my daughter would want a blue hippo if she were a bit older, im really getting the clowns for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleesan View Post
In the end, you will end up with one fire fish. Also, the naso tang will grow way too large. The only tangs I would recommend are bristle tooth tangs

I didn't mention this earlier in the thread, but my good friend imports and distributes saltwater fish and coral for a living, and also bought out a local fish store about 18 months ago. I was planning on having the naso as a juvenile for about a year then returning him to the store for sale as an adult.

I read a bit that a lot of reefers on here have had infighting with a group of firefish, even the BRS 160 tank had them as the first inhabitants and they didn't do well. Maybe I'll just go with one, they're a fun addition to the tank the way they hide in the rockwork.

Unread 12/18/2016, 05:51 PM   #98
siliconinja
Registered Member

I sprung a small leak in the inlet of the bioreactor, so attempting a reseal on my own. I'm not an artist with silicone so hopefully it works well, I added some plumbers tape to the threading

I also went to ace and got their janitorial grade 10% ammonia and used Hamza's calculator online to dose to 4ppm. Ready to kick off this cycle! I also cranked my tank temp up to 86 degrees, and turned the Gyres up to 70% straight flow.

After giving the silicone about 24 hours to cure I'll start up the bioreactor again and let the tank cycle naturally using the bacteria naturally present.

This week when the dr tim's one and only comes in, I'll try and cycle my observation tank using it's ammonia solution. Then add the clowns!

Ordering rock this week as well

Unread 12/20/2016, 01:30 AM   #99
siliconinja
Registered Member

No more leaks!

On a not so great note: I far overdosed ammonia in the main tank. For future reference: much better to start off slow, wait an hour or two, or overnight, and dose again until finding out just the right amount to get between 2-4ppm. My ammonia is off the charts 8+.

I did a 40g water change, and setup the mix tank to max capacity at 50g. Tomorrow evening I'll do another large water change to get the ammonia within readable level.

Dr. Tims came in! Dosed the Observation tank with it. Will be watching

Unread 12/20/2016, 09:30 AM   #100
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Nice glad the leak was an easy fix. Well atleast the ammonia spike happened at the beginning of your cycle. I wonder how well the Dr Tims will work. Did you dump in the whole bottle or are you dosing it?