Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2008, 07:01 PM   #201
mborn
Registered Member

Oops. I’ll get a few photos together when I get home this evening.

mborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 07:22 PM   #202
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mborn
I have 14” tubes so I cut ~15” diameter circles from the filters. I take the plastic domes off the top of the tubes and place the filter circles over the top of the tubes and then place the domes back on (at the time of year I use the filters I don’t use the semicircle reflectors, I only use those in winter). Since the filters are a larger diameter than the tubes, the edges get pinched down between the plastic dome and the exterior lip of the tubes and are held in place. I currently don’t have any pictures of this. I’ll get some pictures of them this weekend if you’d like, as I don’t have time to go on the roof and pull the domes off in the morning before work, and it’s getting dark when I get home in the evening and I don’t want to be on the roof at that time.
Mborn so you place the filters way on the top of the dome. I think it would be better if you would place the filters on the bottom part of the tubes. Don't you think you will get more light this way.

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2008, 11:56 PM   #203
matona
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hobogato
great matt, dont forget to post some pics - look forward to seeing it!
I'll be happy to share... but I haven't even seen it during the day. I installed on Monday afternoon, and by the time I was finished the sun was well on its way down. Since then I've only seen it first thing in the morning before work, and late afternoon after work.

Can't wait to check it out on the weekend, then maybe I can post some pictures.

-Matt

matona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 12:06 AM   #204
clowninaround1
Moved On

this question may have been answered, but do you foresee any deterioration of the top plastic/acrylic outside on the roof? how often do you clean it?

clowninaround1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 12:33 AM   #205
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

This is such an awesome thread. Has anyone asked if this is possible for people that live in the Northern part of the US??? I live in WA State and would love to try something like this. It would probably not be plausible during the entire year, but maybe sometimes? Just wanted to know.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 01:42 AM   #206
mborn
Registered Member

GUILLO1, I’ve tried placing the filters on the bottom of the tubes directly over the tank too, and I really haven’t noticed a difference in the intensity of the light. Although, I haven’t measured the light with a meter so there very well could be a variation. There’s no attic space over my aquarium room and my tubes are only 3.5 feet from roof to tank and in the summer they are very bright. So my main reason for using the filters is to cut down on intensity. Also, they’d get coated with dried salt from spray from the tank and I’d have to take them off and clean them every few weeks. When they’re up top they stay perfectly clean and I can forget about them until I take them down in winter. Here are a couple of pictures of green corals under the solatubes with filters. There’s no supplemental blue or actinic lighting, just filtered tubes. Since this is hobogato’s thread and my tank isn’t an SPS dominated tank, I’m going to post some FTS giving a brief summery of the progression of my solatube tank in the solatube thread in the advanced forum.

mborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 11:35 AM   #207
ransomed4ever
Registered Member

been following along for a while, congrats on thread of the month

ransomed4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 03:20 PM   #208
Poseidon
Registered Member

Bravo!!!!

Tagging along, I am very interested in this for a future home, I don't think the landlord of my townhouse would go for it now!

Current Tank Info: 85 Gallon mixed Reef. Halide/LED combo lighting.
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 03:34 PM   #209
Reefer08
Moved On

What happens when it rains? There is always a freak chance of raining a small amount in the summer?

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 04:38 PM   #210
murfman
Registered Member

I routinely give my tank "hurricane" time and turn off the lights and leave the tank dim.

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 06:17 PM   #211
Tedelicious
Registered Member

Saw this on thread of the month and have been through the past 9 pages. Amazing! I'll definitely be tagging along.

Tedelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 06:17 PM   #212
Rickyrooz1
Acropora Nut

Awesome thread!

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated
Rickyrooz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2008, 07:59 PM   #213
Jojoyojimbi
Registered Member

murf i love your quote, too bad too many knuckleheads tried to put out their c4 by stepping on it or we could have still used it to cook with

Current Tank Info: Electrocuted my saltwater when lights broke, only fresh now
Jojoyojimbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2008, 01:38 AM   #214
mxett
Registered Member

I've been watching this thread for a while, and have seen a similar result in Australia. I am getting a quote for 4 solatubes over my 4'x4'.

We'll see what happens but I think I will make the jump to green lighting!

mxett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2008, 07:50 AM   #215
hobogato
Registered Member

great! could you post some before and after pics when it is done?

hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2008, 08:39 AM   #216
murfman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jojoyojimbi
murf i love your quote, too bad too many knuckleheads tried to put out their c4 by stepping on it or we could have still used it to cook with
That is just cleaning out the gene pool!!!!

murfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2008, 09:31 AM   #217
GUILLO1
Registered Member

I installed 3 14" tubes a few days ago, this is what what tubes flashings installed look like

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2008, 10:43 PM   #218
Phxkeller
Premium Member

Hobogato - NICE JOB!!

Love this thread. I've been considering cutting up my brand new house for 1 year now. for my 300g. Im thinking 3 14" or possib 2 18" solar tubes. my tank is 96" L x24" W x30" H.

My 250W MH x3 150W x2 are not cutting it... and I live in SUNNY Arizona. Save on power and get a natural sunrise/sunset affect without spending $1000 on a ACLS light controller

guillo1 - what size tank are you using these for and how deep is it ..

Current Tank Info: 300G Mixed reef
Phxkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 08:27 AM   #219
hobogato
Registered Member

nice job guillo

thanks phxkeller - your tank is about the same footprint as mine, so three 14" tubes would work well. you may get dark areas with two 18" tube, but i am not sure.

was picking up toys off of the floor this morning and looked up at the tank - thought it would make a neat pic, so here it is.....

Unread 09/06/2008, 04:06 PM   #220
UnderwaterMike
Registered Member

dude that's a nice shot and a great thread. congrats on thread of the week and Keep us updated. i love the shots. i can't wait to do the same so i'm going to be coming to you for any questions i may have down the road.

Current Tank Info: 55g and 25g Mixed reefs.
UnderwaterMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 04:27 PM   #221
fishdoc11
catch and release

UnderwaterMike,

To Reef Central

Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 04:47 PM   #222
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Guillo what type of roof is that? Looks like some really long asphalt roll or something.

My biggest issue with poking holes in my roof is I have an EPDM membrane roof (very low pitch) as a result it's not as easy to make water tight again as asphalt shingles

Unread 09/06/2008, 05:08 PM   #223
elvictre
Registered Member

Very cool tank. I also run 2 14" solatubes on my 525 but I also run 3 400 MH and 2 250 MH (only 3 hours on the 250's). My tubes only get 3 hours of direct sunlight in the winter and something like 5 hours in the summer so I needed the MH's and 440 watts of actinic (the wife wouldn't let me reposition the house...lol). Either way I feel like there is no substitute for natural sunlight.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2008, 05:18 PM   #224
hobogato
Registered Member

wow! you cant make a post like that without including some pics of that beast! sounds incredible.....

Quote:
Originally posted by elvictre
Very cool tank. I also run 2 14" solatubes on my 525 but I also run 3 400 MH and 2 250 MH (only 3 hours on the 250's). My tubes only get 3 hours of direct sunlight in the winter and something like 5 hours in the summer so I needed the MH's and 440 watts of actinic (the wife wouldn't let me reposition the house...lol). Either way I feel like there is no substitute for natural sunlight.

Unread 09/06/2008, 05:56 PM   #225
elvictre
Registered Member

I can't capture the tank in pics that well. I have a new digital camera on the way but here is what I have.

The dimensions are 120x48x24 so it's hard to get the entire tank in a pic. It's still young. I got it running nov 07 and have been working on it slowly since.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote