Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/28/2020, 12:09 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

two matted filed fish , is that ok?

Hi
My matted, aiptaisia eating file fish is not so interested in aips anymore :-/ . It did a great job for a longgg time then the aips came back. He's too inteserested in actual fish food, ugh. I cant not feed the tank for many days, I'm afraid my anthias will get sick (and they always die once they start looking bad).

*If I get another matted file, will the now-two likely fight? I know there's no way to tell for sure, but are they normally peaceful to each other? I'm going to guess no. Reason I think maybe is because I have a random male and female orange spot file in my other tank for a year, and they love each other -- maybe wouldnt be like that if they were the same sex ?

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

From what I've read, you can have multiples of that fish, if there's room. But it's best to add them at the same time. Adding one to an established one might not work, unless there's plenty of room for them to avoid each other. I think they are sex-able. Bristles at the base of the tail indicate male. Get different sexes and you're good.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2020, 10:13 AM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Bhergia nudibranchs are a great way to avoid adding another fish. Eradication starts slowly, but really picks up when their population increases. They'll kill off an infestation entirely, including the ones burred in the rocks.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2020, 12:01 PM   #4
bearpeidog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
Bhergia nudibranchs are a great way to avoid adding another fish. Eradication starts slowly, but really picks up when their population increases. They'll kill off an infestation entirely, including the ones burred in the rocks.
Thing about Bhergia is they are PRICEY for a large tank. If they were more affordable I’d recommend them.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Starfire, 3-Radion G1, Tunze with 7091 Controller, 2- ecotech mp40s, MP60, Panworld 250 return pump, TunzeATO, XP2000ss Reef Octopus Skimmer, Theiling rollermat
bearpeidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2020, 12:21 PM   #5
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

They're only pricey if you expect quick results. Even then, "quick" is extremely relative.

I had a pretty bad aptasia outbreak in a 120g tank I had in a previous house. I tried peppermint shrimp, filefish, and manual treatments. None of those techniques really had any real impact on the problem. Some died off in easy to get places, but the infestation never went away and the aptasia always resurfaced in visible areas.

I tossed around $80-100 in bhergia and let them do their thing. After two or so months, I didn't see another aptasia in the tank for the 2'ish years I kept it up. You'll obviously see faster results if you add more nudis up front, but a small population will develop into an effective population until the problem is solved.
It kind of sucks not getting to see your $100 after adding the nudis, especially when you don't see noticeable results for 2-4 weeks. Bhergia are pretty much the opposite of instant gratification, but they work. I added some to my 60g a little more than a year ago and haven't seen an aptasia since.

They're definitely no the only solution. I don't know enough about the fish you asked about to give an educated answer. Just know that they're a viable option (did I mention a slow on?) if other methods fail.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2020, 09:06 PM   #6
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Hi
My matted, aiptaisia eating file fish is not so interested in aips anymore :-/ . It did a great job for a longgg time then the aips came back. He's too inteserested in actual fish food, ugh. I cant not feed the tank for many days, I'm afraid my anthias will get sick (and they always die once they start looking bad).

*If I get another matted file, will the now-two likely fight? I know there's no way to tell for sure, but are they normally peaceful to each other? I'm going to guess no. Reason I think maybe is because I have a random male and female orange spot file in my other tank for a year, and they love each other -- maybe wouldnt be like that if they were the same sex ?

TY!
I added a second smaller on to my 300 gallon tank and they became a pair and spawned a few times.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2020, 01:14 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

I might look into the bergias, thanks Cody.
I wish I could get a male - mine seems to be female. My LFS never has them and my goto online fish place Liveaquaria, I'll just have to wait til one comes up there. Luck you got a male and female laverda.

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote