Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2019, 04:30 AM   #1
Jjd531
Registered Member

Lightbulb New bubble algae eating champ in town.

I have a 20 gallon reef tank, in it, I have a sand conch who is always climbing all over and he managed to get high enough to reach some red bubble algae in my tank; and to my amazement was sure enough slurping it right off the rock and part of a frag aswell. Then in my excitement, moved him to a higher rock and near a peice of Duncan that had various algae on it he completely cleaned it up and when I went back to check on him, he had safely tumbled back to the sand to sleep off a job well done. Not quite sure if this is a cure for bubble alage algae, but I'll surely be putting my conch onto more rocks with bubble algae; as he devoured it much faster than most other inverts, and he's reef safe and typically cant climb high enough to bother any corals. Thought I'd share, curious if anyone else has seen this, or will give it a try and share.

Jjd531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Interesting! Are you referring to a fighting conch? Is it around two inches long? I may have to try mine on some green bubble algae.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Jjd531
Registered Member

Hi, yes, I believe he is a fighting conch, he is about 2 inches. Give it a try and let us know. Bubble algae eaters are sparse, itd be interesting to see if this is normal behavior for most conches or if I'm just lucky. I'm not sure about you but my conch is always just grazing and he started noticeably slurping the algae up and cleaned my Duncan and a Goneopora off as soon as he was in the vicinity. Good luck!

Unread 12/03/2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Next time I have my hands in the tank I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2019, 01:12 PM   #5
viethluu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjd531 View Post
I have a 20 gallon reef tank, in it, I have a sand conch who is always climbing all over and he managed to get high enough to reach some red bubble algae in my tank; and to my amazement was sure enough slurping it right off the rock and part of a frag aswell. Then in my excitement, moved him to a higher rock and near a peice of Duncan that had various algae on it he completely cleaned it up and when I went back to check on him, he had safely tumbled back to the sand to sleep off a job well done. Not quite sure if this is a cure for bubble alage algae, but I'll surely be putting my conch onto more rocks with bubble algae; as he devoured it much faster than most other inverts, and he's reef safe and typically cant climb high enough to bother any corals. Thought I'd share, curious if anyone else has seen this, or will give it a try and share.
Could you please take a picture of your fighting conch. I will try to buy some. I don't have bubble algae but will want to buy some conch in the future if the bubble algae show up. ...

viethluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Jjd531
Registered Member

Yeah sure I'm not sure how to post pictures on here yet, but if he's out when I get home I'll get a good picture or see if I have any. ALSO just an update on the thread my bubble algae situation is currently under control but as soon as I have a spot of it again I'm gonna unleash the conch and try to snag a picture of it in action.

Current Tank Info: I have a 20 gallon tall mixed reef, currently keeping, sps, lps, softies, and nems. All run under 2 orbit ic lights.

Tags
algae control, bubble algae, conch