Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2019, 01:08 PM   #1
pitmindi
Registered Member

Hand in tank

Is there anyone that doesn't put their hand in their tank frequently? I was reading some posts and someone said that they try not to put their hand in the tank and I'm not sure why. How else do you get the corals that fall down, clean the rock, etc.

pitmindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2019, 01:25 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

You shouldn't stick your hands into the tank if you are using any skincare products as those often contain things that are toxic to fish and corals.
There are long tweezers and grippers you could use for minor fixes in the tank but they can't do everything so there will be still occasions where you have to use your hands. So either use gloves or don't use skincare products.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2019, 08:56 PM   #3
hhaase
Registered Member

Also recommended to use gloves if you have any open cuts on your hands. A lot of common reef inhabitants in the hobby can potentially be poisonous.

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking up 150 gallons, only a little livestock right now.
hhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaase View Post
Also recommended to use gloves if you have any open cuts on your hands. A lot of common reef inhabitants in the hobby can potentially be poisonous.
I always wear H/D white mamba latex non powdered gloves when touching anything like live rock or a coral due to the chance of getting a scratch or cut, the bacteria in a reef tank is vast & can give you a nasty infection if it gets under the skin.
Just reaching in the water tho naaa.....just wash first always as stated to remove anything first unless you have a cut or scrape then yes wear gloves & a rubberband on the wrist will ensure the cut stays dry.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2019, 02:47 PM   #5
Stromatopod
Registered Member

Hand in tank

Many people say "I like to keep my hands out of the tank" to mean "I like to avoid making any unnecessary changes to the tank." Often times, we as aquarists have a tendency to tinker constantly with our tanks in an effort to make them better. However, many reef animals require stability far more than they require perfect water. So "keeping your hands out of the tank" is the best way to keep things stable - meaning don't change the rockwork, flow, lighting, chemistry, filtration, or anything except where absolutely necessary.

Stromatopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Lol when something falls over or a mp60 cover blows off I have to put on swim trunks and literally get in the tank.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2019, 11:07 PM   #7
10secv6
Registered Member

With a zeroedge aquarium I just keep yelling at family members to stop touching the water so frustrating

10secv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2019, 12:46 PM   #8
dadnjesse
Registered Member

I have my hands in my tank every day. Although I'm retired, I don't see how it's possible not to.

dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 06:09 PM   #9
treesprite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I have my hands in my tank every day. Although I'm retired, I don't see how it's possible not to.
I put my hand in the tank all the time. I like when the fish come to take food from me. I don't like gluing down corals, so snails knock them down. I found 2 small Duncan colonies behind the liverock today, and there was no way they were getting rescued without a hand in the tank. I have tank gloves but can't feel anything wearing them (I got them to clean the tank when I had a cast on a broken arm, cuz even a broken arm won't stop an obsessive reefer), so I rarely use them. I keep my hands/arms clean and don't wear nail polish.

treesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2019, 06:49 PM   #10
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Lol when something falls over or a mp60 cover blows off I have to put on swim trunks and literally get in the tank.
No goggle? Lol

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2020, 09:13 AM   #11
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatopod View Post
many people say "i like to keep my hands out of the tank" to mean "i like to avoid making any unnecessary changes to the tank." . . .
+1

Unread 01/02/2020, 03:17 PM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

I use these gloves. They leak a bit

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 04:22 PM   #13
treesprite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I use these gloves. They leak a bit
Those are awful. I can't stand having water inside of gloves, and those won't stop the consequences of having a run-in with a bristle worm.

treesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 04:41 PM   #14
paal
Registered Member

Maybe 12 times/year on average?

I don't really try to avoid it, but there is just no need. When the tank was new I felt the urge to rearrange stuff all the time. Now the tank pretty much just cruises on autopilot and I'm happy with it.

The most common reason for putting my hands in the tank is when taking out the wetside of my Vortech MP40 pumps for cleaning. I must admit I do this WAY to seldom. Right now you cannot see a single algae-hair in the tank, except inside the vortechs; they are FULL of hair algae :P
I guess I clean them every 2-3 months or so? When I do, I always make sure the air-inlet to the skimmer pump is clean as well. I have fully cleaned the skimmer pump maybe two-three times in 4 years? (All were probably the first year. lol)
My Vortech return pump has not been serviced/cleaned a single time since I bought it almost 4 years ago.

I very rarely buy coral, as shipping is anywhere between 50-100 USD :| When I do, I always glue them, so they stay in place. Id say max 2 times/year.

If there is something I want to remove (like an empty snail shell or a small broken sps branch (stupid fragile montis) on the sandbed, I just use the algae scraper and push it over to the back wall and lift it out that way. (back wall is black, so no worries if it should scratch slightly.

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 06:31 PM   #15
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
Those are awful. I can't stand having water inside of gloves, and those won't stop the consequences of having a run-in with a bristle worm.
And after a few uses those glove start to stink.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 06:40 PM   #16
wuzhenyu
Registered Member

yes, just don't put on lotion and other stuff...

wuzhenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 10:13 PM   #17
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Getting in there and getting my hands wet is part of the fun! My tank is a very low tech, hands-on setup. I love to commune with Nature!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote