Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2016, 03:45 PM   #176
karimwassef
Registered Member

Showed the size measurement? (1mm? 2mm?)

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2016, 04:59 PM   #177
cabinetman123
Registered Member

I'm going to guess 1 mm

Unread 06/12/2016, 05:02 AM   #178
GMSR
Registered Member

Why not throw some high pressure air stones in the bottom of the sand bed and have your drain collect the skimmate when you do your dump? 2-in-1.

Maybe the bubbles would be popped by the sand, or maybe it would help deposit materials in the sand even? Perhaps you could have a higher water column and have air stones above the sand and have your drain pipe higher up.

Last edited by GMSR; 06/12/2016 at 05:59 AM.
GMSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2016, 05:58 AM   #179
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMSR View Post
Why not throw some high pressure air stones in the bottom of the sand bed and have your drain collect the skimmate when you do your dump? 2-in-1.
My best guess is that even with a number of air stones the sand bed won't flush nearly as well as it does with the wand. The air from air stones will create a 'path' through the sand and just bubble there rather than create a better random air flow that might do a better job. A back flush of fresh water through a large diffuser plate that covers the entire bottom of the sand bed might work well enough, but I'm not sure.

Unread 06/12/2016, 09:02 AM   #180
GMSR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
My best guess is that even with a number of air stones the sand bed won't flush nearly as well as it does with the wand. The air from air stones will create a 'path' through the sand and just bubble there rather than create a better random air flow that might do a better job. A back flush of fresh water through a large diffuser plate that covers the entire bottom of the sand bed might work well enough, but I'm not sure.
I'm saying to get a protein skimmer effect going on as well. Lets say you have a taller column of half sand half water. Ok, the idea is basically a protein skimmer half filled with sand, but run on gravity.

Unread 06/13/2016, 05:32 AM   #181
cabinetman123
Registered Member

I think you guys are over thinking this lol. Keep it simple.

Unread 06/13/2016, 05:55 AM   #182
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm saying to get a protein skimmer effect going on as well. Lets say you have a taller column of half sand half water. Ok, the idea is basically a protein skimmer half filled with sand, but run on gravity.
Sorry, I misunderstood your point. Thanks for setting me right.

CM, I agree that the KISS method works. But I'd really like a back flush that worked rather than spending 5 or 10 minutes pushing a wand around in the filter sand. But that's just me.

Unread 06/13/2016, 11:03 AM   #183
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood your point. Thanks for setting me right.

CM, I agree that the KISS method works. But I'd really like a back flush that worked rather than spending 5 or 10 minutes pushing a wand around in the filter sand. But that's just me.
You don't know until you try it lol. There's something very rewarding about watching all that crap go to drain. I never get sick of it lol!

Unread 06/13/2016, 01:40 PM   #184
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman123 View Post
You don't know until you try it lol. There's something very rewarding about watching all that crap go to drain. I never get sick of it lol!
Im sorry but doing that every 3-5 days would get old IMHO. Unless it could be automated, I agree with some others, I dont think this method is substantially less work than a sock, and certainly a much larger PITA to setup, not to mention space issues for most folks. Dont get me wrong though, I think its cool, but unless I was able to automated the backflush, or at least make the process as simple as turning a couple valves and let it do its thing....I wouldnt go through the trouble personally.

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 05:49 AM   #185
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Im sorry but doing that every 3-5 days would get old IMHO. Unless it could be automated, I agree with some others, I dont think this method is substantially less work than a sock, and certainly a much larger PITA to setup, not to mention space issues for most folks. Dont get me wrong though, I think its cool, but unless I was able to automated the backflush, or at least make the process as simple as turning a couple valves and let it do its thing....I wouldnt go through the trouble personally.
If you put in a larger diffuser plate or more perforated pipes in the bottom then you wouldn't need to use the wand at all... especially if you increase the water pressure of the backflush. I'm sure the OP wouldn't need to use the wand either, but it likely makes the process go faster.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2016, 10:22 AM   #186
zeemofree
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post

I know he is on to something as I have a more advanced system that employs a sand prefilter which is easil cleaned and replaced and my large reversed upwelling sand bed has not clogged and I assume it will not cloth because it is a anoxic area that is designed to melt the coral sand and release the the effluent into the tank. Here are a few pics I will not be removing my plankton friendly skimmers either

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2736765886.jpg (35.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg image-1189101396.jpg (55.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by zeemofree; 06/14/2016 at 10:38 AM.
zeemofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2016, 10:58 PM   #187
GMSR
Registered Member

I am planning on having a tide pool zone that acts as a sand filter after trapping water durring high tide. The flush comes when tide comes back in (before it goes over the top of the barrier the water pressure pushes it up. In the tide pool I will have sea grasses, oysters, clams, snails, crabs, isopods, mangroves, etc... Hopefully the roots take up a lot of nutrients and the sand is deep enough to get a good cycle going on. Gonna have some sweet bonzai mangroves! Under the sand bed I want to put a sand net and some egg crate and create a bit of a cryptic zone where some sponges can thrive before the water escapes through some LR into a macroalgae zone before going back to the reef.

Unread 06/15/2016, 11:29 PM   #188
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
I am planning on having a tide pool zone that acts as a sand filter after trapping water durring high tide. The flush comes when tide comes back in (before it goes over the top of the barrier the water pressure pushes it up. In the tide pool I will have sea grasses, oysters, clams, snails, crabs, isopods, mangroves, etc... Hopefully the roots take up a lot of nutrients and the sand is deep enough to get a good cycle going on. Gonna have some sweet bonzai mangroves! Under the sand bed I want to put a sand net and some egg crate and create a bit of a cryptic zone where some sponges can thrive before the water escapes through some LR into a macroalgae zone before going back to the reef.
great concept. how are you engineering it?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 06/16/2016, 06:29 AM   #189
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Please start a thread on this as it sounds very interesting!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2016, 09:21 AM   #190
Rwiesner20
Registered Member

Truly impressed with this. I don't think I would have thought of it. The process seems a little complicated but I guess once its plumbed its no problem. Only real downside I see is it takes up some room.

Rwiesner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2016, 09:59 AM   #191
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwiesner20 View Post
Truly impressed with this. I don't think I would have thought of it. The process seems a little complicated but I guess once its plumbed its no problem. Only real downside I see is it takes up some room.
When you got 700+ gallons to filter this don't take up much room lol. Imagine how many filter socks it would take. I am going to mess around with a more compact unit. I've got the basic unit made. It's a 8"x 24" piece of tube acrylic with a square base cemented on. I've gotta plumb it up and might install it on a friends tank to try. The hope is with the smaller size around the water pressure with stirr the sand enough to clean it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Unread 06/21/2016, 01:17 PM   #192
ravi197699
Registered Member

What if you use 10000 gallon pool 12" sand filter which goes for around 125 dollars with 1200 gph pump, I am planning on using one of the output from my return pump to run it through the sand filter so that i don't have to use the pump that comes with sand filter or use the pump that comes with sand filter and since it comes with timer on the pump , i can have it run every 2 hrs or 3 hrs..and back wash the filter on weekly water change... what you guys think?

ravi197699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 07:04 AM   #193
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi197699 View Post
What if you use 10000 gallon pool 12" sand filter which goes for around 125 dollars with 1200 gph pump, I am planning on using one of the output from my return pump to run it through the sand filter so that i don't have to use the pump that comes with sand filter or use the pump that comes with sand filter and since it comes with timer on the pump , i can have it run every 2 hrs or 3 hrs..and back wash the filter on weekly water change... what you guys think?
How about a link to the pool filter you are considering? I ask because I'm interested in this idea, but I want it more compact and less maintenance (i.e. cleaning).

Unread 06/22/2016, 08:23 AM   #194
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi197699 View Post
I think one would work great as long as you don't mind all the water they use during back flush and as long as there isn't any metal parts inside that will corode. If I had a bigger tank I might concider one myself.

Unread 06/22/2016, 02:25 PM   #195
stage3-s4
Registered Member

http://www.haywardflowcontrol.com/sh...sand/ls-series

these are used in commercial aquariums all the time.

stage3-s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 02:58 PM   #196
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think the Long Island Aquarium reef uses pool sand filters

http://youtu.be/2pxTBHtnl-s

Unread 06/23/2016, 06:52 AM   #197
stage3-s4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
I think the Long Island Aquarium reef uses pool sand filters

http://youtu.be/2pxTBHtnl-s
yea Joe over at Atlantis knows what he is doing for sure. He has a great setup thats been running for years.

stage3-s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2016, 01:26 PM   #198
Joey_bananas420
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman123 View Post
Don't think they'd work for me man. I'm way over stocked. I need something way more aggressive.
The brightwell no3 blocks are good for 1200 gallons garaunteed. They recommend carbon dosing in conjecture with it. the denetrfying bacteria will take care of any nitrates you have quite aggressively. And it is small enough to fit in between baflles in a sump.

Joey_bananas420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2016, 06:04 AM   #199
Yagonyonok
Registered Member

This is quite the idea. I'm just starting my first saltwater tank, but this might be just the ticket for my freshwater tanks.

CM, how has the filter been running the last few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yagonyonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2016, 07:04 PM   #200
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagonyonok View Post
This is quite the idea. I'm just starting my first saltwater tank, but this might be just the ticket for my freshwater tanks.

CM, how has the filter been running the last few months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I absolutely love it. theres no way I'd ever go back to filter socks or anything else. takes 10 mins once a week to maintain. Can't beat it.