Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2018, 07:12 PM   #2476
Misled
RC Mod

Looks good Dennis.

Unread 06/24/2018, 07:27 PM   #2477
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Looks good Dennis.
Thanks, Jesse.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2018, 09:54 PM   #2478
Indiana Reefin
Garrett

Wonderful!! You should be so proud

Indiana Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 07:09 AM   #2479
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Haven't posted an FTS in awhile...

Amazing! NOW it is looking good. Not bashing on triton but I had exactly the same experience you did. Now that o switched to 3 part dosing and taken the refugian offline my tank is also looking rather nice (not D2Mini Nice, but works for me )

Need to get my build thread up... been saying that for almost two years now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2018, 07:41 AM   #2480
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Reefin View Post
Wonderful!! You should be so proud
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
Amazing! NOW it is looking good. Not bashing on triton but I had exactly the same experience you did. Now that o switched to 3 part dosing and taken the refugian offline my tank is also looking rather nice (not D2Mini Nice, but works for me )

Need to get my build thread up... been saying that for almost two years now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL, thanks... and Yes. Yes you do.

And with Triton's supply and demand issue this past year, container issues, and now changing some of it to powder form, I'm glad I got out and haven't had to deal with that.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 06/27/2018, 07:25 AM   #2481
Heuristic
Registered Member

Incredible tank!

Do the mangroves actually work well at extracting nutrients or are they more just an enjoyable plant to look at

My lights aren't all that high off the water level so they likely would outgrow them pretty quickly

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 08:04 AM   #2482
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
Incredible tank!

Do the mangroves actually work well at extracting nutrients or are they more just an enjoyable plant to look at

My lights aren't all that high off the water level so they likely would outgrow them pretty quickly
You would literally need a whole forest of them to see a noticeable reduction in nutrients. Their growth is extremely slow. I just think they're cool. And on this tank I'm really struggling with them, they are not growing at all. Still alive, but zero growth in like 6 months. Even with a little led grow light pointed at them. They were already sprouted and had a root system when I got them, probably went through shock. They seem to do better for me when they start off as propagules.

Unread 06/27/2018, 04:25 PM   #2483
biecacka
Registered Member

Looking good Dennis. Are you still using a CaRx?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 05:42 PM   #2484
Heuristic
Registered Member

Quote:
You would literally need a whole forest of them to see a noticeable reduction in nutrients. Their growth is extremely slow. I just think they're cool. And on this tank I'm really struggling with them, they are not growing at all. Still alive, but zero growth in like 6 months. Even with a little led grow light pointed at them. They were already sprouted and had a root system when I got them, probably went through shock. They seem to do better for me when they start off as propagules.
Oh nice. I may have to look in to them. I think they're kind of cool and just another thing to watch grow

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 05:56 PM   #2485
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Looking good Dennis. Are you still using a CaRx?

Corey
Thanks! Yes, just ordered the Kamoer FX-STP pump to feed it.

Unread 06/28/2018, 07:57 AM   #2486
Ucantwin
Registered Member

What's your tank ph now with the calcrx?

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 09:44 AM   #2487
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
What's your tank ph now with the calcrx?
For the past month I have a daily fluctuation of 7.7 - 8.03 or so, with my Alk averaging around 7.5 dkh.
My reactor is getting low on media and i've had to increase the co2.
Need to fill that back up.

Unread 07/08/2018, 04:35 PM   #2488
d2mini
Registered Member

Last week I added the Kamoer FX-STP pump to my CaRx and this weekend I added the second chamber. The pump has been working like a champ.

Unread 07/08/2018, 05:08 PM   #2489
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I thinkyou are going to like that pump Dennis.
Now we have to get together & get a roll of extra tubing for you me & ??

Unread 07/08/2018, 06:07 PM   #2490
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
I thinkyou are going to like that pump Dennis.
Now we have to get together & get a roll of extra tubing for you me & ??
haha yeah... what size is that anyway? Haven't checked.

Unread 07/08/2018, 06:32 PM   #2491
networkcrasher
Registered Member

3.2 x 6.4. You can buy pharmed bpt tubing off aliexpress by the meter.

networkcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2018, 07:45 AM   #2492
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

If 3-6 want in on a buy I will, or someone else, can order a roll & split it up & include shipping to those that need it. Saves us all.
Interested please put your name down.

Unread 07/09/2018, 12:22 PM   #2493
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Ali does not list the tubing anymore.
Checked around & best I can find is $2.41/foot in a 25 foot length.

Unread 07/09/2018, 12:28 PM   #2494
networkcrasher
Registered Member

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/tubi...602872405.html

get the 3 2 and 6 4

Unread 07/09/2018, 04:32 PM   #2495
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Thats 17.99/ meter or about $6 /foot.

Unread 07/09/2018, 05:43 PM   #2496
d2mini
Registered Member

I'd be in for some if you order.
Hopefully I don't have to worry about it for awhile.

Unread 07/09/2018, 06:41 PM   #2497
networkcrasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Thats 17.99/ meter or about $6 /foot.
I know, I’m just saying it’s there. 3 feet would last a long time, 25 even longer. Sometimes dealing with group buys is worth the extra 10 bucks to not have to deal with it :-)

Unread 07/10/2018, 10:24 AM   #2498
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

OK --Dennis & me --
Need more people to order --
I will post on the named thread also.

Unread 07/11/2018, 09:10 AM   #2499
brianmsu80
Registered Member

What hardware did you use to mount the GHL Power Bars? I know it has notches on the back for screws. Just curious what you used, if you remember specifically. It could possibly save me some time searching at the hardware store.

Quote:
UPDATE 5-12-16

It's been a while since the last update but I have been busy.
This build is taking a couple interesting turns and it hasn't even gotten wet yet.
For one, I decided to redo the equipment board... for a couple reasons.
The main thing though was there was just something about it that wasn't sitting right with me. I think it was the lack of access to behind it. This didn't bother me originally, but once I placed the sump in the tank, I realized how little room there was. The sump is very large, taking up most of the interior of the stand. The left end of the sump was mere inches from the equipment mounted on the board, particularly the GHL Power Bars.

I had mentioned earlier that I wasn't fond of the "Panduit" electrical raceways that many people use because they take up valuable space, and I also just wasn't particularly keen on looking at all those big bars running up, down and across.
I hope the owner doesn't mind, but here is just a random example from a google image search showing what I mean...

Now don't get me wrong, this is a very nice example of cable management and everything is nice and tidy and clean looking.
But I just don't have a lot of space to play with.
So after some thinking, it finally dawned on me... what if I just ran the raceways around the perimeter? They would almost disappear in comparison. I also realized I don't have all that much equipment that needs to be mounted, for instance... it's not like I have a bunch of Apex modules. Most everything I need for my Profilux is part of the Profilux computer itself, which is sitting on that shelf I made. So I went to the computer and started laying it out. After a little playing around, spec'ing 2"x2" raceways around the perimeter, everything fit! I found the plastic ones on amazon and ordered two 5' lengths. They arrived early this week.

And while I was waiting for the raceways to arrive, and needed to tear everything out. All the equipment had to be removed from the board, the board had to be removed from the supports, and I had to go out and buy another piece of wood that I could cut down, paint and remount.
So I'm walking around Home Depot and I come across something PERFECT that I didn't see last time. They had 2'x4' sheets of 3/4" particle board with white melamine laminate!!! I wasn't going to be drilling holes through this and the white melamine would match the stand perfectly! No painting required. And it was quite a bit cheaper than the plywood. Bonus!

Changing to this 3/4 material vs the 1/2" plywood had one downside... i was already tight on room in the stand. But since I wasn't going to be hiding all my wires behind the board this time, I removed the supports and cut them down, making up more than the 1/4" in space. Bonus again. Then I remounted the supports. By now the raceways had come in so I cut and mounted those around the perimeter, did a test fit/layout of all my equipment, and then mounted the board to the supports. Finally I was able to start mounting all the equipment and running the cables.

The pic below shows the almost final product.
I still have some stuff to mount in the middle area which I'll talk about in my next update, so the rear vertical raceway cover is not on yet.
And I won't be using the raceways for my sump items like skimmer, heaters, and carbon reactor.
I want to be able to unplug and remove these items easily for not if, but when the sump ever needs to be drained and removed. Again, I'm tight on space so any major work in the stand may require sump removal. These wires will still be neatly secured, just a lot more accessible.
The Vectra return pump is the only sump item going into the raceway.

Oh, and I also hung the refugium light.
As far as plumbing goes, I'm starting laying it out but waiting for a couple last minute little things to arrive from BRS today, and Elos next week.
But the plan is to have the tank wet by next weekend!

So here's where I am now.
There's still some exciting things to come, but that's for the next update.

brianmsu80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2018, 09:22 AM   #2500
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmsu80 View Post
What hardware did you use to mount the GHL Power Bars? I know it has notches on the back for screws. Just curious what you used, if you remember specifically. It could possibly save me some time searching at the hardware store.
Screws.