Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/07/2018, 02:49 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

What's wrong with my protein skimmer?

I've had my Reefer 350 for 2 months now. The skimmer has been on for about a month and a half. I've adjusted everything I can think of. My sump's skimmer chamber has a water level of around 10 inches. That's too high based on the manufacturers suggestion so I have the skimmer at about 8 inches now. I can't get any skimmate production and the foam barely makes it an inch or two up the skimmer neck. It never gets close to the collection cup. It looks like it is pulling out a little bit of gunk, but it never gets to the cup. I've considered that maybe my bioload is too low. There are only a pair of clowns and a few coral.

Please help me if you can. Here is a link to the skimmer if you need more info.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 03:04 PM   #2
thearsalan1
Registered Member

Have you ever tried running it at 10” depth?
I’d try that first and play with the adjustment.

Next thing you can look into is increasing the air intake. Either make the hole bigger or put on a bigger tube and control the air with a small valve of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thearsalan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 03:25 PM   #3
davocean
Registered Member

Or try less, 6-8" seems to be most common level

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Chris918
Registered Member

I've tried running it at the sump's normal water level and the foam gets much higher. It almost gets to the point where I want it to be. I've tried raising the skimmer about 2 inches and the foam production is worse. Does the base the skimmer pump sits on need to be taken into account when looking at the skimmer's actual depth? It sits on a 2.5 inch base (give or take) that the pump sits on.

Unread 04/07/2018, 04:10 PM   #5
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Can ya snap a few pics to better help us help you out?maybe some one will see something

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Chris918
Registered Member

I have to post a picture using a link correct? What's the best place to post?

Unread 04/07/2018, 04:44 PM   #7
ramseynb
Registered Member

I like imgur the best.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Chris918
Registered Member

https://imgur.com/qg3DY0I Here is the skimmer. I've got an image of the base that raises it up a bit as well.

Unread 04/08/2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Chris918
Registered Member

The link works for me. Is it working for you guys? Let me know if you all have any ideas on what the problem may be.

Unread 04/08/2018, 01:36 PM   #10
flooddc
Registered Member

What kind of skimmer is it?
From the photo, you need to adjust the water output to raise the water level in the skimmer body so that the foam is up around the neck of the skimmer.

flooddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 02:46 PM   #11
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flooddc View Post
What kind of skimmer is it?
From the photo, you need to adjust the water output to raise the water level in the skimmer body so that the foam is up around the neck of the skimmer.
I would agree, do you not have a flow adjustment knob to fine tune your bubbles level in the chamber?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 04:56 PM   #12
Chris918
Registered Member

Here is a link to the skimmer I have. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz...n-skimmer.html
I have done every adjustment I can on the skimmer and this is as high as it gets. I've messed with the micro adjustable valve on the side and can't seem to get it any higher.

Unread 04/08/2018, 07:10 PM   #13
cellingson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris918 View Post
Here is a link to the skimmer I have. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz...n-skimmer.html
I have done every adjustment I can on the skimmer and this is as high as it gets. I've messed with the micro adjustable valve on the side and can't seem to get it any higher.

Not familiar with any his skimmer but I think most skimmers function the same.

There is a knob that should control how much water flows out of this skimmer. By adjusting this knob you can adjust the water level in the skimmer. It looks like, on your skimmer, it is opposite the air intake. Close this knob as far as you can and see if that helps. The water level should rise and fall. If still not getting water level high enough you can try and increase air intake. If that doesn't work you need to drop the skimmer level in the tank.
Are you using wood for your skimmer stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cellingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2018, 07:32 PM   #14
Chris918
Registered Member

I'm not using any wood as a skimmer stand. I originally thought my water level was too high so I raised the skimmer about 2 inches. This actually made things worse. I lowered the skimmer again and it functions better. It comes on a black plastic stand where the pump is mounted. I started Reef Energy A and B today and after I turned the skimmer back on, the foam immediately was reaching the top. Perhaps it is just a low bio load?

Unread 04/09/2018, 10:57 AM   #15
tthouston
Registered Member

You have 2 options to INCREASE the bubble in the skimmer body.
1- Close the OUTPUT valve
2- Close the AIRPUT hole, I see it has the screw at the air line to increase or decrease the Air input.

Look at step #4 in this link
https://s3.amazonaws.com/brsinstruct...in-Skimmer.pdf

Last edited by tthouston; 04/09/2018 at 11:12 AM.
tthouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 11:13 AM   #16
oldhead
Registered Member

I don't see a valve for the output but that little valve on the bottom of the air intake cup should do the trick. One way to check to see if it will work is to stick your finger over the open hole on the top. The bubbles should immediately climb toward the cup.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2018, 11:14 AM   #17
tthouston
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
I don't see a valve for the output but that little valve on the bottom of the air intake cup should do the trick. One way to check to see if it will work is to stick your finger over the open hole on the top. The bubbles should immediately climb toward the cup.
That is it. Close the air valve little by little the buble will increase in the skimmer body.
I just edit my comment with a link, check it out. Good luck.

Unread 04/09/2018, 11:19 AM   #18
tthouston
Registered Member

The air valve of your skimmer on the top of the air silent. just adjust the screw.

Tags
protein skimmer