Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2018, 07:07 PM   #10601
Slackkinhard
Registered Member

Hello to all, I'm Brett. I had some softie tanks many years ago, recently acquired a drilled 92g corner tank with small aquarium for a sump. Need some controller and lighting ideas

Slackkinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 05:21 PM   #10602
Guy2112
Registered Member

New to salt water

Hi all,
I started up a 29 gal curved front tank. My brother in law moved and gave me everything. Eheim 250 canister, aqua flow over the back filter. LCD light with a remote. Lots of settings. Very cool.
Went to a lfs that had outstanding ratings online. He gave me the scoop about substrate, live rock and salt.
I set the tank up with 20lbs of live rock and a bag of live sand. He told me to let it filter though for a week and then bring water in to get tested.
The salinity was low so I drained 5 gallons and added some more instant ocean and tested it with my new hydrometer.
Salinity 1.021.
Temp is 78
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
The lfs told me to take out all the plastic plants. He said they will kill whatever fish I put in the tank. I couldn't find anything online to corroborate that.
I used imaginarium plants. Anyone know if these will cause any trouble?

I purchased a pair of clowns last night. I used the drip method to acclimate them. The lfs's idea not mine since I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing

They seem to be doing really well. Lots of swimming around. They even ate a little. I'm really excited about this. It's something I always wanted to do.

Guy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.9 KB, 19 views)
Guy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 10:24 PM   #10603
KeyboReefer86
Registered Member

Quick Intro

Hi all Andre here. Joined this forum so that I can get a better knowledge of reef keeping and so far I've seen quite a few good topics that I need to read up on. Currently running since June 2016;

- 65 gallon aquarium 36in W x 18in D x 24in H
- Fluval 406 Canister FIlter stocked with Activated carbon, Seachem Purigen and Matrix
- Current USA Orbit Marine Led Fixture 36"-48"
- Current USA eFlux wave pumps 2x 1050GPH 1x 660GPH
- BRS GFO Reactor
- Coralife UV Sterilizer
- AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro
- PSK-75H Hang On Protein Skimmer
- Jebao DP-4: Dosing ESV B-Ionic 2part Calcium & Alkalinity, Magnesium and Trace Elements
- AquaFX Barracuda 4 stage RO/DI system with Instant Ocean reef crystals for Salt mixture.

The tank is stocked with mostly Soft corals, with some LPS and SPS corals.

Current Fish:
1x Royal Gramma Basslet (First fish of the tank)
2x Paired Snowflake Clowns
2x Yellow Watchman Gobies w/ Tiger pistol shrimp
1x Green Canary Blenny
1x Neon Dottyback
1x Hoeven's Wrasse
1x Anthias Fish (not sure the type)
2x Skunk cleaner shrimps and a hefty clean up crew.

For the 2+ yrs Ive had this 65g I've been through 2 rebuilds. Due to moving cross country and cross state currently 16 months since my last rebuild when I purchased my home.

The main reason I'm here is to really step up the hobby as I currently own a 180 gallon marineland aquarium that I got on LetGO for $80 and needs to be refurbished from the ground up. Mostly excited about finally crossing over into the overflow sump system and all that comes with it. Hope to learn a lot as I got through my 180g build.

Included a few pics:
First Build, Current build and 180g project after purchase and after first clean.

Thanks in advance,

Dre'

Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Build.jpg (67.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Current Build.jpg (97.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Current Build view2.jpg (29.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 180g project after purchase.jpg (40.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 180g Project after first clean.jpg (35.9 KB, 19 views)
KeyboReefer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 12:59 AM   #10604
Fish on
Registered Member

Hello all

Hey guys and gals. Newbie to both the site as well as the hobby. Had the cookie cutter 10 gallon tank as a kid growing up, but that is the extent of my experience. I recently decided to really jump in and bought myself a 90 gallon tank, built myself a stand and am starting to gather sump equipment. Needless to say to have more than a few questions.

Plan is for a salt aquarium with mostly live rock and maybe a coral or two to start. I'll post a few questions on some of the other threads about sump setup, filtration etc...

Looking forward to chatting with everyone

Fish on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 11:36 AM   #10605
bgordo11
Registered Member

Hi! I'm Brandon and set up my 55 gallon tank about three months ago. I'm currently setting up a pod population because I want a Mandarinfish! Currently, I have a Royal Gramma, Chalk Basslet, and a Red Shrimp.

bgordo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 02:36 PM   #10606
KatePaul
Registered Member

Just here to Learn

Hi, folks. I do not have a saltwater tank right now, only freshwater. I just want one. So, doing my due diligence, I am here to learn from you guys that have been doing this a long time.

KatePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 06:00 AM   #10607
dakreef
Registered Member

Smile Hi RC Family , New to Saltwater tank

Hi RC Family , thank you all for all the great advice provided on RC, I'm finally ready to take on a Saltwater aquarium, i'm have been a 25yrs fresh water guy, but the always loved the Saltwater fishes. looking forward to starting my own wonderland .

I recently Empty my 40G fresh water , and would like to start a Marine tank with sump and RO-DI unit. really looking forward to learn from all the expertise on the Reef Central forum.

dakreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 06:05 AM   #10608
ojkaka
Registered Member

Hi all
I am Jeffrey, I just start reefing for 2 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ojkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:10 AM   #10609
HarveyO
Registered Member

New to Saltwater

Hello everyone. My name is Harvey. I have had freshwater fish most of my life. However, I just started my first Saltwater Reef Tank. I'm am very excited about it and appreciate all the discussions on here to help. Happy to be on Reef Central.

HarveyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:10 PM   #10610
SuperCoryD
Registered Member

Smile

Hello-
Anytime I go to research, there's always something on ReefCentral that is helpful. I have joined today because I'm having trouble finding info on my scenario (nothing like joining when there's a "need" huh!) I'm certain my scenario is not unique.
Anyway, been a troll up to this point.
I have a 75 gallon display with a 40 gallon sump with refugium.
I drilled the tank to install a homemade coast to coast overflow.
Homemade auto topoff
Homemade 1" tube stand
Octo 110 skimmer
A knock off 3400 gph wakemaker (works great)
A cheap powerhead
Ecotech Gen 3 light
Dry rock
Live sand
Two clowns.
Tank has been running since 9-17. I know! It's very young. This is a game of patience, right.

I have come to realize that the bacteria-in-a-bottle may be OK for fish, but probably not for establishing a reef. Up to a few weeks ago I would do water changes when the ammonia would rise. Never have seen any nitrites or nitrates. My friend gave me some mushrooms, a couple of hammers and some snails early this year, died. I purchased a torch 3 weeks ago, died. Im coming around to thinking my tank has yet to cycle. I believe the water changes I've been doing has stopped it.
So, two weeks ago I set up a 10 gallon tank (need a quarantine anyway), and put the clowns in it. Then I took a raw shrimp and threw in the 75. Left everything running.
I came home today after two weeks, wife has been maintaining the clowns, to find I finally have nitrates!
About 20 parts nitrates, 0 nitrites and 0.10 ammonia.
I think the ammonia could be because there's still a rotting shrimp in there?
Has this system cycled? I just don't know.
I would certainly appreciate your thoughts.
Not a blogger so forgive me if this is not in the right forum or post.
Thanks

SuperCoryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 07:40 PM   #10611
ttkreef
Registered Member

Hi,
I am new to this hobby.
Start 01_12_17: Very young tank
The coral I have below are survive but not as bright as it used to be

My system

1/ Equipment:

90 Gallon Display Tank 4ft wide 2 ft deep
30 Gallon Display Refugium
30 Gallon sump (trigger system)
3 Kessils 360W
1 Kessil 360 white light for mangrove on display refugium
1 Kessil H380 for Macro Algae in sump (Chetomorpha)
Tunze Skimmer
2 Tunze Power Heads
2 Sicce 9.0 DC pump (1 for return and 1 for manifold)
Vertex Calcium Reactor.
50W UV Light (Penair)
1 BRS dual Chambers (GFO + Carbon)
1 BRS dual chamber (Carbon + Carbon)

2/ Livestock:

Coral:
15 Frags all from WWC: (Green Mile, Madman, Mystic Sunset, Purple Cap, Rainbow Monti, Tubb Stella, Terry Red, Blue Berry, Hammer Head)

Fish:
1 Foxface
1 Coral Beauty
2 Firefish
1 Dory (Regal Tang)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Crab

ttkreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 07:47 PM   #10612
ttkreef
Registered Member

Picture of my tank set up

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2715.jpg (57.9 KB, 8 views)
ttkreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 11:08 AM   #10613
KTwo
Registered Member

Looking to Learn

Keith from Columbia, MD. I've always loved aquariums, had a couple of freshwater tanks when I was in college but never a saltwater setup. I'm considering it now - haven't actually decided whether to do it or not. I'm trying to figure out answers to questions I have. Cost? Tank type? Maintenance? Pitfalls? How to start? How to avoid salt creep? How to keep the whole thing clean? How long can I leave a particular tank unattended, e.g. weekend away vs summer vacation, etc.

Seems to be a ton of knowledge and people here. Hoping I can get a little smarter and maybe contribute a little.

-K2

KTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 11:00 AM   #10614
TheChristopher
Registered Member

I'm still new to the hobby after about 8 months with a bucket of rocks and fish. I learned a lot from Geoff's threads, and now I'm at a point where I have specific questions to ask. I'd like to thank all of you who've written so many informative articles!

TheChristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 11:23 AM   #10615
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTwo View Post
Keith from Columbia, MD. I've always loved aquariums, had a couple of freshwater tanks when I was in college but never a saltwater setup. I'm considering it now - haven't actually decided whether to do it or not. I'm trying to figure out answers to questions I have.
Cost?A lot more than you realize, but worth it.
Tank type? Around 100gal is a good easy beginner size.
Maintenance?More than freshwater.
Pitfalls? Many
How to start? See what the LFS has running in the shop.
How to avoid salt creep? Fresh water only tank
How to keep the whole thing clean? Hire someone is the easiest.
How long can I leave a particular tank unattended, e.g. weekend away vs summer vacation, etc. Depends on the tank size and livestock.
-K2
Welcome, I went from fresh to salt and it took me 2 years to get the hang of it. If i ever went back it would be to breed killifish again like Blue Lyretail's

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 11:35 AM   #10616
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCoryD View Post
Hello-
Anytime I go to research, there's always something on ReefCentral that is helpful. I have joined today because I'm having trouble finding info on my scenario (nothing like joining when there's a "need" huh!)

About 20 parts nitrates, 0 nitrites and 0.10 ammonia.
I think the ammonia could be because there's still a rotting shrimp in there? Yes Take it out
Has this system cycled? I just don't know. I would guess yes
I would certainly appreciate your thoughts.
Not a blogger so forgive me if this is not in the right forum or post.
Thanks
Your water source could be the cause of your coral issues. RO/DI? PH or clorine issues?

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 07:21 PM   #10617
Nep2nRev1
Registered Member

Hello Reef Central.

Don't know if I should introduce myself as the new old guy or the old new guy. Fact is up until about 8ish years ago I had been keeping aquaria for 12 years or so. I dabbled in freshwater, planted tanks with discus/tetras etc. Built a tank for fancy goldfish for my wife, but saltwater was my addiction.
I'm a plumber by trade. Have been for almost 40 years and it has served me pretty well in this hobby. I've helped build many tanks for friends and worked with a local aquarium maintenance service to do set-ups. I've acted as a consultant on a huge tank at a business not too far from home. But that's all been some time ago.
When the economy tanked, I got out of the hobby. Now 8ish years later I'm making a move to get back in it. I'm relearning, but it's like riding a bike so it seems. What I'm also learning is that in 8ish years, there have been a ton of advancements. The animals still require the same husbandry, but the equipment options are really amazing.
I look forward to learning from this community. Happy reefing, be talking to you soon.

Nep2nRev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 12:25 AM   #10618
Reefdreamer1126
Registered Member

I am new and desperately need help

I am desperately trying to figure out what is going on with my tank. I am losing all my new fish and am having trouble understanding why. If I could get some people who could help that would be amazing.

Reefdreamer1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 06:26 AM   #10619
conno22
Registered Member

Hi I'm new. I have a really bad case of aiptasia currently in my tank. They are even eating small shrimp and fish. How do I get rid.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

conno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 12:10 AM   #10620
Dantique
Registered Member

New to Reef Central

Hello all,
I've been a wandering forum creeper for years. I settled on the one I thought was best. My name is Dan, Critical/Trauma RN from Central PA. I've had an aquarium my whole life (52). I have kept a FOWLR for about 20 of them. The past two years got into softies and some LPS. So you can say, I have really eased into keeping corals haha. I'm looking to advance my LPS keeping.
It' great to have such a valuable network of experience and advice at your fingertips. Thanks for having me!
Dan

Dantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 02:05 PM   #10621
Nemosmom1
Registered Member

Hi,
Great to find this forum. Brand new to both the site and the hobby. . just got an 8 gallon set up. Had a fish only tank and one clownfish was in there, but he passed recently. (Had ich and I didn't catch it in time till was too late to treat). In process of having the tank quarantined.

Dewi

Nemosmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 11:50 PM   #10622
Skam
Registered Member

I need help..

So, I’m beginning the journey from a 10 gallon nano to a 180 FOWLR..
On my 10 gallon I ran an aqua clear 30 filter, a heater a rio pump and an LED light.., that’s it!!! I did great for 3 years, then I just gave up!!!
That is the extent of my knowledge and experience with saltwater aquariums.
I need help?!!
I want a peninsula style aquarium..
Were do I get the tank from72-24-24?
As per filtration?? I am at a loss, my eyes are crossing after hours/days of surfing the web.. Wet dry? Yes!
No -Wet dry..?!! Sponge/filter socks?! Carbon reactor?
GFO reactor?!! Bio pellet reactor, yes! But u have to be careful running them together. UV? Chato reactor?!!
What kind of overflow??!!
Herbie?!! Bean animal??!!Skimmer?
Someone help🙏!!

Skam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 06:34 PM   #10623
Dantique
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam View Post
So, I’m beginning the journey from a 10 gallon nano to a 180 FOWLR..
On my 10 gallon I ran an aqua clear 30 filter, a heater a rio pump and an LED light.., that’s it!!! I did great for 3 years, then I just gave up!!!
That is the extent of my knowledge and experience with saltwater aquariums.
I need help?!!
I want a peninsula style aquarium..
Were do I get the tank from72-24-24?
As per filtration?? I am at a loss, my eyes are crossing after hours/days of surfing the web.. Wet dry? Yes!
No -Wet dry..?!! Sponge/filter socks?! Carbon reactor?
GFO reactor?!! Bio pellet reactor, yes! But u have to be careful running them together. UV? Chato reactor?!!
What kind of overflow??!!
Herbie?!! Bean animal??!!Skimmer?
Someone help��!!
As far as filtration, this discussion could become very long and in depth. What type of aquarium are you going for and how much time do you have to maintain it? How many fish do you plan on having? corals? live rock?

Dantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 06:51 PM   #10624
8ptspike
Registered Member

Hi

Hi all. Long time viewer but new to RC. Getting back into saltwater. I had a 110 15 years ago but had to give it up. Starting back up with a 75 and am going to try to remember all my mistakes from the past and do things better this time around. I eventually want to get a much bigger tank but want to see how things go with this first. I am plumbing everything to the basement where I can do all my work without crawling under a stand. RO/DI, drains, sump, refugium etc will be down there, spread out at a comfortable level for working.
Excited and nervous.
I drilled my tank, painted my back glass panel, installed overflow, and set up aquascape. Tomorrow I rinse and put in sand and make my RO/DI water.

8ptspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 07:30 PM   #10625
PacoPetty
Registered Member

Hello, I was a member years ago and had a FOWLR 55 gallon set up for almost 20 years. I have been away from the hobby for about 10 years and have decided to restart with a Coralife Biocube 32 gallon. I still have all of my dry rock from my previous tank so I gave it a 30 minute acid bath and it is currently soaking in a 20:1 bleach mixture in my garage. I plan to soak it in RO/DI water with a declorinator after the bleach soaking is complete. It will then dry out (hopefully in the sun) for a few weeks before I put it in a Brute trash can with heated saltwater and a pump for a few months. I plan on going very slow and learning as much as I can before I set up my tank. I am really amazed at all of the advancements that have happened since I left the hobby.

PacoPetty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral