Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2017, 09:05 PM   #1
StephenRU
Registered Member

Live rock in sump?

So I have live rock in my sump for my 255g system, I'm thinking of removing it as its been accumulating cyano down there ( I guess not enough flow or too much life or a combo of both) and replacing it with just macro algae, thoughts on this?

Last edited by StephenRU; 01/15/2017 at 09:11 PM.
StephenRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:15 PM   #2
shiftline
Registered Member

As long as you have lots in your display you should be fine. I removed most of my sump rock and replaced it with a brick of marine pure. Only real disadvantage to removing is I'm sure it's a pod haven. But cheating can fill that role too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:44 PM   #3
kegogut
Registered Member

I have around 200 lbs. In my sump and it gathered a lot of detritus until I started using filter socks. I think as long as the cyano stays in the sump I wouldn't worry about it. It is after all a great source of nitrification.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 09:52 PM   #4
skambitsis
Registered Member

I had a few small rocks and it too also built up cyano that started showing up in my display sand bed. I just sucked it all out. I don't like it's presence. I'm not certain how bad it was, but I don't wanna find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skambitsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 10:31 PM   #5
StephenRU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegogut View Post
I have around 200 lbs. In my sump and it gathered a lot of detritus until I started using filter socks. I think as long as the cyano stays in the sump I wouldn't worry about it. It is after all a great source of nitrification.
The only thing is when I try to grow macroalgae the cyano chokes it out from the light...

StephenRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2017, 10:38 PM   #6
pisanoal
Registered Member

Add a small powerhead?

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote