Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:15 AM   #151
LQT
Registered Member

Very exciting!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 10:26 AM   #152
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Tank to be delivered tomorrow. Reassembled my 'big tank cart'. Not pretty, but does the trick. Getting it onto the stand in the garage will be easy...
I can probably run over if you need me...old and not very strong, but I'm a great supervisor!

BTW, tank should come surrounded in styrofoam... Should fit perfectly under tank on top of stand...don't let them destroy it!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 10:30 AM   #153
LQT
Registered Member

Me too, if you need help tomorrow, lemme know.

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:56 AM   #154
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thanks chaps. I think I will be OK for tomorrow. My 15 year old and a couple of his football buddies are going to be around. The delivery is supposed to be on a smaller truck with a liftgate, so I'm thinking it will just be sliding the tank off the liftgate onto the dolly, and then sliding it off the dolly onto the stand. I mean, really, what could possibly go wrong ........ (already had a bit of good luck as the tank made it out before Irma made her way in).

It's the move in Oct that will require more help. I did a test run with a cardboard box (yeah, I am that anal) and there are annoying things like stair railings in the way (I will have to take it down). Getting the old tank out will be pretty easy, but getting the new tank in not so much.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 10:59 AM   #155
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
I can probably run over if you need me...old and not very strong, but I'm a great supervisor!

BTW, tank should come surrounded in styrofoam... Should fit perfectly under tank on top of stand...don't let them destroy it!
Yours came on a wood pallet, right? Was it a typical pallet, say 5 inches tall?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/12/2017, 11:13 AM   #156
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Yes, ~5"

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 11:23 AM   #157
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thanks A

Unread 09/13/2017, 01:03 PM   #158
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Well, I guess I shouldn't have tempted fate by asking what could possibly go wrong .... even if I meant it tongue in cheek. The answer is that the truck showed up, but no lift gate. Fortunately, with a bit of ingenuity and the fact that the driver was an amateur power lifter (I kid not), we were able to wrestle it down the gang plank onto my cart. I'm no power lifter, but I am a robust 250 ....ish. BTW, bought one of those 1,000 lb. harbor freight lift carts .... awesome. Will be helpful in the woodshop even once the tanks are moved.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0643.jpg (103.9 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by ca1ore; 09/13/2017 at 01:08 PM.
Unread 09/13/2017, 01:19 PM   #159
LQT
Registered Member

Jeez, that thing looks absolutely massive!

Unread 09/13/2017, 01:56 PM   #160
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Isn't it though ..... But I guess if one is going up from a 265, why fool around. Keen to get it onto the stand in the garage and unwrap it. Peeking underneath the styro, build quality looks first rate.

Unread 09/13/2017, 06:08 PM   #161
Maritimer
Registered Member

Big black rectangle . . .

Kind of reminds me of a classic old sci-fi film . . .

Exciting stuff!

~Bruce

Zoey's Reef has come to life! Zoas, 'shrooms and LPS of several sorts, CUC, dartfish, wrasses and others swim above the sand . . .

Current Tank Info: Kingston & Zoey's Reef; 220g, Deltec skimmer, 2 MaxSpect Gyre x-50s, 2,500gph or so through the sump. SPS are surviving . . .
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 06:48 PM   #162
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Simon, glad to see the tank arrived in one piece. My new tank shipped a couple of weeks ago. Got it off the trailer to find some tow motor jockey hit it with the forks. Back on the trailer it went. Waiting for them to build and ship a new one.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 08:34 PM   #163
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

That stinks. Mine pretty well packed and no damage. Got the tank onto the stand and unwrapped. Boy was it heavy. More pics to follow.

Unread 09/14/2017, 07:40 AM   #164
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Man, this sucker is heavy .....

Got the overflow dry fitted and now working on the wooden cap that will sit on the top rim. I realized the center rear leg of the stand blocks one of the bean animal drains, will have to add in a few 45 degree fittings. Otherwise the stand is just about perfect.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655.jpg (71.0 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0654.jpg (52.8 KB, 120 views)

Unread 09/14/2017, 08:08 AM   #165
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
Big black rectangle . . .

Kind of reminds me of a classic old sci-fi film . . .
Now that you mention it, there was this strange vibration coming from the crate .... and then my dog picked up a screwdriver ......

Unread 09/15/2017, 08:26 AM   #166
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

After huffing and puffing the tank onto the stand in the garage (and said stand being much heavier than the current one) I'm having a few last minute doubts about my structural reinforcements. Tank will straddle a weight-bearing foundation wall, with one end supported under each corner with jack posts in an enclosed outside crawl space (more a 'walk' space ). Not appealing to do the same for the other end (it's over my office) so I have sistered one of the three joist with double thickness 3/4" plywood to the same 9" depth as the joist and put a jack post at the end of the plywood (the other end of the plywood sister sits on the foundation wall sill. Distance from said sill to the jack post is about 7'; end of tank will be about 4' over so the post is 3' away from the tank corners. It's this end that worries me. Not just the tank, but papa will be human jam if the tank comes through the floor (not that I really think it would - but I am a charter member of over-engineers anonymous). I think I'm going to sister a second joist and add another post - though still not easy way to get that post directly under the end edge of the tank.

When full, this thing is going to be 4,000 lbs. plus or minus a couple of hundred. The floor (minus the joist sistering) has held the 2,500 lbs. of my 265 without even a mm of deflection. My logic for the new tank is that one third is supported by the foundation wall (say 1,400 lbs.), another third by the dual jack posts in the crawl space (they're 'rated at 9,000 each), and the final third by my 3 joists. By this logic, they carried 850 without sistering, but will be asked to carry another 500 with sistering and posts. Seems reasonable to me?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by ca1ore; 09/15/2017 at 08:36 AM.
Unread 09/23/2017, 05:54 PM   #167
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Stand/cabinet finally finished. It's modular, with much of the trim, doors and sides removable for easy lifting. Well ... easier. Did a dry run with a 96x30 frame and while tank will clear the doorway (as I knew it would) it won't clear the stairway balustrade. That will be a pain to remove. May actually revise the plan and take the tank in through the mud room. Will entail removing some Sheetrock and a couple of studs, but that will make the rout a straight 25' shot. Easier to replace a bit of Sheetrock than disassemble the stairs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0698.jpg (62.2 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by ca1ore; 09/24/2017 at 09:10 PM.
Unread 09/23/2017, 07:31 PM   #168
Maritimer
Registered Member

Just standing there, filled with white protective sheeting, that is a thing of beauty!

~Bruce

Zoey's Reef has come to life! Zoas, 'shrooms and LPS of several sorts, CUC, dartfish, wrasses and others swim above the sand . . .

Current Tank Info: Kingston & Zoey's Reef; 220g, Deltec skimmer, 2 MaxSpect Gyre x-50s, 2,500gph or so through the sump. SPS are surviving . . .
Unread 09/24/2017, 09:11 PM   #169
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Couple more cabinet shots.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0697.jpg (64.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0699.jpg (52.1 KB, 69 views)

Unread 09/24/2017, 09:13 PM   #170
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Had to 'adjust' three of the drain pipes with 45 degree fittings in order to clear one of the stand legs. Shouldn't affect the drain capacity materially. I've installed two apex optical sensors into the overflow to alert me to high water conditions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0700.jpg (71.2 KB, 66 views)

Unread 09/25/2017, 07:16 AM   #171
SpikeDangles
Registered Member

Awesome stand. Love the trim around the top of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpikeDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 07:19 AM   #172
LQT
Registered Member

Yeah, you've got some seriously impressive carpentry skills!

Unread 09/28/2017, 02:28 PM   #173
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thanks chaps. Been building cabinets for a long time. BTW, looking like Saturday October 28th for tank moving/lugging day. Got me, my 15 yr old son and one friend so far; figure it's a six man job.

Unread 09/28/2017, 02:57 PM   #174
Maritimer
Registered Member

Peeking at my schedule, it looks like I may actually have that _day_ off, though I'll be working the evening, into and through the following day. I think you could crayon me in for shouldering part of that load.

~Bruce

Unread 09/28/2017, 03:12 PM   #175
LQT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Thanks chaps. Been building cabinets for a long time. BTW, looking like Saturday October 28th for tank moving/lugging day. Got me, my 15 yr old son and one friend so far; figure it's a six man job.
I'm game for that morning if that's possible.