Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/11/2018, 06:22 PM   #1
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Closed loop layout

I'm finishing up the core construction of a 48"x 42"x 26" plywood tank and before I drill for my closed loop, I'd like some opinions.

I am running a Waveline 12000 as my closed loop with a Jebao 12000 as my return pump. I have an Oceans Motion I will use for the closed loop.

My thought was to have the CL return from the front corners and either the back corners, or somewhere in the rockwork facing forward/center. The OM has the 1,3-2,4 drum so at any point it will have flow going to two of the returns.

I would like advice on two things...

1) where would you suggest I put the CL returns?

2) How should I have them configured with the OM? Both front together? Left/right together? Opposite corners together?

My return pump will split into 2 separate outlets so I have a bit of flexibility with my flow.

All/some of my returns will be fitted with Random Flow Generators from Vivid Creative Aquatics.

I'm open to all ideas. This is the time to do it, before the tank is drilled

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2018, 09:23 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

My closed loop returns under my rock via a PVC manifold with holes drilled in it to prevent detritus from settling under the rock and create flow across the bottom of the tank. I have it synced with my Tunze’s so that when they kick into “flush” mode, the closed loop kicks up to a much higher power level to blast everything from the under the rocks while my Tunze’s kick up to high power (one side of the tank then the next) to suspend detritus and send it over the overflow. Below the rocks and along the bottom are the places that generally have the least amount of flow due to the location of return pumps and power heads. As such, at least for me, that is the best use of a closed loop system. I never have detritus on the bottom of my tank as a result. Granted, I have a very large tank and a very powerful closed loop and a LOT of flow throughout the system.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 02:23 PM   #3
BigDave
Registered Member

I use the OM wavemaker too.

My inlet pulls from the lower middle of the tank.

My 4 outlets are at the top... one in each corner and then two in the middle like below:

1 2 3 4
| | | |
\ / \ /

I use 45º outputs so that the outlets point down and across the tank. 2 in one direction, 2 in the other. This gives me a good rolling current one direction that then switches to a rolling current in the other.

This is on a smaller 120 gallon Cube.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 02:46 PM   #4
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
I use the OM wavemaker too.

My inlet pulls from the lower middle of the tank.

My 4 outlets are at the top... one in each corner and then two in the middle like below:

1 2 3 4
| | | |
\ / \ /

I use 45º outputs so that the outlets point down and across the tank. 2 in one direction, 2 in the other. This gives me a good rolling current one direction that then switches to a rolling current in the other.

This is on a smaller 120 gallon Cube.
My inlets are going to be in back wall of the tank.

I'm not sure how you are describing your outlets.

| |
| |
|______________|

This looks like crap. Not sure if you can figure out what
I meant.

I think, after rereading I know what you mean. There are 4 outlets across the back wall of your tank alternating facing left and right (at 45degrees)

Like that?

Or do you have an outlet in each corner?

Last edited by DougSupreme; 06/13/2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Layout
Unread 06/13/2018, 04:45 PM   #5
BigDave
Registered Member

A pictures worth a thousand words

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2018, 05:35 PM   #6
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Absolutely. Much clearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
A pictures worth a thousand words

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Unread 06/19/2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Kmack0415
Registered Member

My returns are on my back panel about 7 inches from the bottom of the tank, returns are high in the back and one on either side I'm the center of the glass, I bought the tank already drilled so I can't change it but looking at it I would have probably placed my two in the rear a little wider and slightly lower to get a good cross flow and my sides would have been ever so slightly further back just for viewing, or possibly done through the bottom of the tank so I could camouflage them with rock.
I went cheap and got a scwd, couldn't get the OM unfortunately...
Post pics when your done I'm really interested to see the way you go with it!

Kmack0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2018, 06:54 PM   #8
DougSupreme
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2678532

This is my build thread. I'm not really experienced with tracking all the steps so I'm sure I'm missing some things. I have been taking pictures as I remember.

Feel free to chime in. Anything that I haven't gone past the point of no return, I'm looking for input.