Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/27/2018, 09:12 AM   #1151
finrod2
Premium Member

I sold my 72” for $950

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2018, 11:30 PM   #1152
boshk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Do you think anyone will buy my Geisemann Infiniti 48"? I've been having trouble selling it. It's a custom polar white from Germany too.

Just dropped my price to $700, but the demand seems to be really low? What's the going price these days? Unfortunate since I paid a ton for it to get custom ordered.
why are you selling it? upgrade?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 170
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 05:40 AM   #1153
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Do you think anyone will buy my Geisemann Infiniti 48"? I've been having trouble selling it. It's a custom polar white from Germany too.

Just dropped my price to $700, but the demand seems to be really low? What's the going price these days? Unfortunate since I paid a ton for it to get custom ordered.
These days take what you can get. The fixture is essentially obsolete.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 11:30 AM   #1154
Kinetic
Registered Member

I don't have a big tank anymore. Otherwise it would be great. Though I'm thinking of just setting up a 4' frag tank in the garage so I can utilize the light.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 08:19 PM   #1155
Jay Ellul
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't have a big tank anymore. Otherwise it would be great. Though I'm thinking of just setting up a 4' frag tank in the garage so I can utilize the light.

Don’t sell it for nothing. Just store it imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 10/14/2018, 10:53 PM   #1156
moondoggy4
Registered Member

It is a 700 hundred item and most items do not sale that fast. I do not believe that it is obsolete technology, maybe a victim of pop culture. I guess it is hard to compete with 10,000 hours of run time.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 07:07 AM   #1157
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacktosterone View Post
If you were going to say spectra vs powermodule, I would of gave it to spectra. Halide is still king in my book. And to have a a possibility to have an 8 t5 vs a 4 t5 fixture coupled with leds (powermodule vs aurora) the powermodule will have more spread, even coverage, ATI has proved to be the best T5 manufacturer in the hobby, and the cost to buy it is cheaper I believe. LASTLY why would you ask a question like that about a competitor on a giesemann thread unless you were prepared for both answers. Did you ask on here to be told aurora? That's what it looks like, if so that's kind of a time waister, you should just buy what you want
I have the same problem trying to decide between the LED hybrid from ATI and Giesemann. Because I will be using only the 48", they both have four T5s.

Was the number of T5s your biggest argument for the ATI? How do the LEDs compare?

BTW because I am in Europe the cost is about the same.

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 07:40 AM   #1158
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745 View Post
Why would you think it's obsolete? I started out with Radion LED, then moved to a combo of LED and T5, then to a combo of MH, T5 and LED. The LED is just there to bring out more fluorescent. I have never had better growth or color than I do with MH. The only reason I would move back to LED as a primary source would be to lower my electric bill.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 08:08 AM   #1159
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjencek View Post
I have the same problem trying to decide between the LED hybrid from ATI and Giesemann. Because I will be using only the 48", they both have four T5s.

Was the number of T5s your biggest argument for the ATI? How do the LEDs compare?

BTW because I am in Europe the cost is about the same.
Ooops - I just found out there is a 8 T5s powermodule in the 48" version. I got a 90 gal tank. Do I need 8 T5s?

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 08:27 AM   #1160
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjencek View Post
Ooops - I just found out there is a 8 T5s powermodule in the 48" version. I got a 90 gal tank. Do I need 8 T5s?
More is always better. Better coverage and better spectrum. More also equals higher elec bills. If you're ok with that then why not?

There are other consideration factors like space, brightness and look or appearance of the fixture.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Unread 11/07/2018, 07:34 AM   #1161
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
I thought I'd update a few additional pictures and maybe someone will spot what I'm doing wrong.

Here is a picture of the full connection - White to brown at the top, blue and back in the middle, and green to green/yellow in the center.

full connection giesemann andballast by choerenz, on Flickr

But when I look at the white plastic plug supplied by Giesemann for the ballast connection, I see fine print on the plug as follows (from bottom to top)

1,2, +, N, 3

ballast connection by choerenz, on Flickr

Is it possible that the connections somehow don't go straight through? Is Neutral usually white?

Ever get this sorted out? I have a spectra 72” that I need to wire to some luxcore ballasts and can’t find any directions on what wire goes to what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2018, 12:49 PM   #1162
sergebmw2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745 View Post

Put it on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sergebmw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 01:58 PM   #1163
Bronxreef
Registered Member

I just found a seller with the infite 48” Dirt cheap I was thinking about replacing the MH with my 2 Radions, the unit is about 5-6 years old, how long do these ballast last ? For $50 i was concern that the fixture won’t light up but it works any other concerns I should be worried about I have only had Leds since I started the hobby

Bronxreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 09:06 PM   #1164
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Good score, I would just run it. But you can do what you want, people have removed the MH and installed other leds but you will probably ruin the Giesmeann light.

Unread 01/25/2019, 08:37 AM   #1165
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
Why would you think it's obsolete? I started out with Radion LED, then moved to a combo of LED and T5, then to a combo of MH, T5 and LED. The LED is just there to bring out more fluorescent. I have never had better growth or color than I do with MH. The only reason I would move back to LED as a primary source would be to lower my electric bill.
Next time you try LED's, go with the Mitra's they grow and color up coral just as good, if not better then M/H , T5, or VHO bulbs. Been there and done that with all the combinations possible, and the Mitra's are hands down the best and easiest Led lights to use.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2019, 11:28 AM   #1166
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Next time you try LED's, go with the Mitra's they grow and color up coral just as good, if not better then M/H , T5, or VHO bulbs. Been there and done that with all the combinations possible, and the Mitra's are hands down the best and easiest Led lights to use.
With LED I think the biggest consideration is the amount of light per square inch. How many fixtures do you need across your tank. There are undoubtedly many LED success stories and those I've read use a high concentration of lights. It can absolutely be done, but at what cost and how easy?

While I have customized my Spectra to include LEDs they were for color. I have never experienced simple consistent growth like I do with MH and T5s, but I also did not line up LED fixtures end to end. I went with 3 over a 120, then I added T5s which improved things. Then I tore that tank down and went with the Spectra.

Unread 02/09/2019, 10:16 PM   #1167
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Quote:
With LED I think the biggest consideration is the amount of light per square inch. How many fixtures do you need across your tank. There are undoubtedly many LED success stories and those I've read use a high concentration of lights. It can absolutely be done, but at what cost and how easy?

While I have customized my Spectra to include LEDs they were for color. I have never experienced simple consistent growth like I do with MH and T5s, but I also did not line up LED fixtures end to end. I went with 3 over a 120, then I added T5s which improved things. Then I tore that tank down and went with the Spectra.
I just got my spectra out of my storage after 2 years finally for the new build. Am interested to know how did you retrofit Kessils in it keeping the halides and T5s.
Also, anybody ever tried to retrofit fans for cooling the T5s ?

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 01:25 PM   #1168
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
I just got my spectra out of my storage after 2 years finally for the new build. Am interested to know how did you retrofit Kessils in it keeping the halides and T5s.
Also, anybody ever tried to retrofit fans for cooling the T5s ?

Regards,
Abhishek
Start here in my build thread. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=68

I haven't found a need for fans even after adding the Kessils.

Unread 02/16/2019, 10:33 PM   #1169
paul17
Registered Member

help were has all the metal halide users gone ?
well on that note I gust got my infinity giesemann duel 250 watt de 4 t5s
and I I must say I am jacked super nice fixture
I also plan on using 2 reefbright blue xho s
any one have a similar set up if so how do you like it
thx

Current Tank Info: cad light 100 gallon
paul17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 02:19 PM   #1170
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Welcome to the club. The Infinity's and Spectra have great controllability, 2 T-5's on 4 T-5's on Mh on MH with two T-5's or MH w/4 T-5's. You can easily do a stepped ramp up Midday and then sunset.

Unread 02/19/2019, 09:11 AM   #1171
paul17
Registered Member

hello As of now I only have one cord for the t5s I am thinking about doing a mod to add in another cord. but if I use the reef brite s they would come on first. and then 2nd all the t5s at once I am not sure if its worth doing the mod to add in a 2nd cord.
also I hear that sometimes these fixtures get real hot and sometimes the halides over heat and shut off I was thinking adding a small 3 inch fan on the oppsite side of were the cords come out what do ya think ? thx

Unread 02/19/2019, 08:52 PM   #1172
paul17
Registered Member

and thank you moon doggy4 for welcoming me to the club

Unread 02/20/2019, 07:58 AM   #1173
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:

Hi, it's not so much the amount of light per square inch, as it is you need to use the same wattage for both fixtures. Example, if you are using 1500 watts of M/H, T5 lighting, you will need 1500 watts of LED lighting. It is very easy to do, but like you stated, the high end LED light fixtures are a bit pricey.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 10:46 PM   #1174
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Am looking to get a Matrix II from BRS while they are on sale. Can anyone tell me how does it perform with some PAR numbers especially with the 4x54 watt one. Does the 4 bulb have a fan for active cooling ?

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 01:06 PM   #1175
fastrd400
Registered Member

I bought the Matrix II and am having issues connecting via Bluetooth. I can connect to the light, however when I back out of the app on my phone I continuously have to search for the light again and start over. Is this normal? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalled with no luck.

fastrd400 is offline   Reply With Quote