Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2019, 06:11 AM   #1
ravenmore
Registered Member

Question on Mods for Biocube 14

Hi all - long time no see. First post here in years lol.

I'm downsizing big time. I'm wanting to sell off my 75 gallon tank and maybe do one or two smaller tanks.

I just got a used Biocube 14 and I know I want to do 2 things - drill the tank to go to a refugium and I want to do a metal halide light.

I'm trying to decide what size bulkheads to install and want to see if anyone else has done this before? Also if anyone has suggestions for how to mount a halide I'm all ears.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef tank in progress
ravenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 10:01 AM   #2
cojo8888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
Hi all - long time no see. First post here in years lol.

I'm downsizing big time. I'm wanting to sell off my 75 gallon tank and maybe do one or two smaller tanks.

I just got a used Biocube 14 and I know I want to do 2 things - drill the tank to go to a refugium and I want to do a metal halide light.

I'm trying to decide what size bulkheads to install and want to see if anyone else has done this before? Also if anyone has suggestions for how to mount a halide I'm all ears.
Were you out of hobby? Led is great choice now. For your size kessil a160 or ai prime with ed diffuser would be perfect. Also theres lot of cheato reactor in the market or you can diy. If you want to diy go for it. But tbh Its not worth it for me to drill that small tank. Just wc is enough but if you want pods population boom up then go for refugium or cheato reactor

나의 SM-G950U 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

cojo8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 11:00 AM   #3
ravenmore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo8888 View Post
Were you out of hobby? Led is great choice now. For your size kessil a160 or ai prime with ed diffuser would be perfect. Also theres lot of cheato reactor in the market or you can diy. If you want to diy go for it. But tbh Its not worth it for me to drill that small tank. Just wc is enough but if you want pods population boom up then go for refugium or cheato reactor

나의 SM-G950U 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄
No I've had at least one tank the whole time. I've been reefing over 20 years non stop. I just haven't been on the board. I prefer Halides to LED. They look better IMO. Also for me I've discovered the best way to keep a tank is to attach it to as large a refugium as you can get and light it 24/7. I'm a big fan of over all system water volume. I might plumb it to a 20 gallon tank.

I've been researching since I posted so I think I'm going to try and get 3 1/2" bulkheads in the 3rd chamber. Two for drains which I will put Durso stand pipes on and one for the return. Due to space though I might only be able to get 1 drain and 1 return.

Last edited by ravenmore; 05/27/2019 at 11:07 AM.
Unread 05/27/2019, 11:04 AM   #4
ravenmore
Registered Member

Also my brother owns a commercial glass company so I'm just going to hand him the tank and some bulkheads and have him drill it.